Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

No VINs in October?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
26445 ...sept order
I though I would be done obsessing at this point..
there is absolutely nothing in my life that I have been more excited about ..this wait is killing me

Same! I've become a stalker (no VIN today).

Thanks for the info, but I don't like that math.
Is it possible 27,831 cars were ordered between September 29th and October 12th alone? Multiply that by 6...
If they can crank out 7,000/week within a roughly 12 week time frame (time for delivery / Christmas Holiday / before tax credit ends), it seems impossible to fulfill all the orders.

Just received text to schedule my delivery! Picking up on Nov. 8. Woohoo!
I've been a constant lurker on here since I ordered my Model 3 on 9/26 (White/White LR AWD 18")
I've had a VIN in source since 10/21 and reached out to my Delivery Adviser yesterday to see if there were any updates.

Well they just got back to me and said that I do indeed have a VIN and that it is in transit and should reach the service center by late next week or early the following week.

I would advise others with similar configurations or VINs (525,xxx) to do the same.

Just received text to schedule my appointment. Picking up Nov. 8. Woohoo!

Reactions: dillon
Sorry, I’m late and new to this thread.

0ct 17 order (blue, black int, LR, 18”)...just got my VIN yesterday (2 weeks)... the new online estimate says 6-10 weeks for delivery.

Is that a good sign? Or could it really be another 8 weeks, or longer ?

Yeah, I have. Bought an X in mid 2018 and it has been in the shop some five or more times. That's bad enough, but they won't fix most things. Falcon wing doors won't work correctly. They often don't open fully. Some of it has been explained to me (there's a box the car constructs based on what it sees as the door starts to open, won't move outside that box) but the door just plain malfunctions intermittently. I even took photos of the door sensor detecting a presence when nothing was there, no one downloaded the car data. Then there was the time someone was trapped in the mid seat, couldn't get either rear door to open from inside or outside door controls. Finally found the console would still work. Service center never downloaded the data and won't fix anything.

Same story with passenger side mirror. Same story with several other problems with the car. If they can't "see" it fail, they won't try to fix it. Often they come up with justifications for why it malfunctions, like someone must have bumped my mirror which kept it from opening.

The most recent problem was the car not charging at a Supercharger. I plug it in, watch it start charging and go to a restaurant for food. I get a notice the charging has stopped. I try to restart from the phone and it's cranky and keeps quitting. Food comes and I call 800 number. On hold all through the meal and car starts charging on it's own. Finish eating and head out to the car as someone picks up. Charging almost done he runs diags and says the 12 volt battery sensor is flaky. Charging done and we reset the car and he schedules a mobile repair. A week later the mobile repair guys gets in touch and wants more info. I give him the info and tell him the voice commands have quit working. He cancels the mobile repair and schedules a service center visit because they want to upgrade the ECU to 3.0. So now I'm waiting two more weeks and he doesn't download the data once again. With no data to back it up it is unlikely they will fix anything.

Before this model X I had a 20 year old pickup truck that gave me less trouble. I still had problems getting the damn thing fixed, but if things got bad I could repair it myself. I'm told Tesla won't sell a lot of their parts to users, so I'm stuck with the service centers... if you can find one.

If i had a car with this much trouble i'd get rid of it

Thankfully, not typical experience. Funny how out of the blue you occasionally get such a rogue.

Fortunately, Tesla seems consistently committed to diligently working through issues. Not unique to them I'm sure. Of course there are some sticky problems that they need to address, but not particularly in this list.

Not sure that relates to October VIN numbers. Good to see evidence of healthy demand for the cars especially in Europe too where there have been more EV options for some time.

Certainly, Tesla don't seem to be able to keep available 3 inventory for more than a day or two.

Google the "Osborne effect". In fact, when I did that I see there is an interesting prediction regarding BEVs versus ICE vehicles that shows the industry hurting during the transition where ICE sales fall off sooner than BEVs pick up. That could very well happen.

In relation to the models Y vs. 3, I think there will be such an effect since every other car maker seems to feel the SUV/Crossover vehicles are much more popular than sedans. I can see people not buying a 3 because it isn't what they want and the Y will be out in a year. This will be most pronounced in the months leading up to the high volume production. I can see this happening sooner because Tesla has announced the production of the Y earlier now.

BTW, the "Osborne effect" actually put the Osborne company out of business.

Yes understood. But my post was regarding that some believe Model 3 production will be reduced because the Fremont plant is gearing up for Model Y production. That won’t happen until next year.

Last edited:
Hope, my friends... East Coast is getting matched to 2020 LR AWDs. My SA has been in contact with me today and confirmed a VIN for my config:

Ordered 10/5
LR AWD
Blue/White
19 Sport
FSD

He says it's on a train now inbound my way... said it may be one or two weeks. Didn't think it would take that long, but if there are stops along the way, I suppose. We'll see - as soon as I get an actual delivery date, then I'll finally believe it. At least (after a month waiting), we've made some progress forward here.

Hope, my friends... East Coast is getting matched to 2020 LR AWDs. My SA has been in contact with me today and confirmed a VIN for my config:

Ordered 10/5
LR AWD
Blue/White
19 Sport
FSD

He says it's on a train now inbound my way... said it may be one or two weeks. Didn't think it would take that long, but if there are stops along the way, I suppose. We'll see - as soon as I get an actual delivery date, then I'll finally believe it. At least (after a month waiting), we've made some progress forward here.
Congrats. Same day I ordered but I ordered a performance. Still waiting

Yes understood. But my post was regarding that some believe Model 3 production will be reduced because the Fremont plant is gearing up for Model Y production. That won’t happen until next year.

Do you mean the issue is the loss of space for model 3 production? My understanding is they cannibalized the model S production line area and combined S and X production on the same line. The old S line was very space and labor inefficient from what I've read.

Ordered 10/5
LR AWD
Blue/White
19 Sport
FSD

Freight trains move very slowly, often averaging only 25 or 30 miles per hour. My dad was a dispatcher and would stop freight trains on sidings two hours ahead of a passenger train so no one would complain of being held up. When a freight train breaks a coupler it takes an hour or two to fix. That's not uncommon. Freight trains aren't the Tokyo express.