Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

No Virginia Referral Bonus' (or, "Another Reason Auto Dealers Suck")

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

scaesare

Mar 14, 2013
NoVA
So I got a call from a Tesla Loyalty dude.

It was a half-and-half- mix of asking for feedback, and wanting to get me an appt to drive the latest car and experience the improvements... a pretty obvious attempt to generate a sale.

Afterward I asked about why I've been able to redeem my referral for my bonus item. He took note and I got a call back from the local service center later that day.

SO, as it turns out, the Dealers Association has raised a stink, and as a result we in Virigina, as non-registered auto dealers, cannot be compensated for generating an auto sale.

Thanks, Auto Dealers... just one more reason you'll never get a sale from me again....

(Hint: If you are going to give a referral in the future, a temporary change to your MyTesla account address to a different state might get you around this issue...)

Interesting, my mobile app (finally) allowed my to redeem my wall connector bonus despite being told that I'm not eligible here in VA:

WallConnector_edited_small.png

Now to see if it actually ships...

You can still get award prizes if you are a Virginia resident. You just could not get the cash bonuses that Tesla was offering in the early referral programs. We just had our Tesla Radio Flyer delivered for one referral.
Hmm.. interesting. That contradicts what I was told by the Tesla service center mgr... but based on your experience and what I'm seeing, it looks like he may not have been fully informed.

Reactions: jthompson
Hmm.. interesting. That contradicts what I was told by the Tesla service center mgr... but based on your experience and what I'm seeing, it looks like he may not have been fully informed.

I was just able to choose my first award for a wall charger from a referral delivery in June. Status says "available June 2018" for the wall charger.

I too thought I wasn't able to receive anything being a VA resident, which is why it wasn't showing up. I'm curious to see if the prize will ship in the new year.

• Informative
Reactions: scaesare
Sounds like some of you are lucking out! Fine print on the limitations of referral program clearly states VA and OH are ineligible for any rewards. Only solar bonuses are allowed. Bonus if you can find a work around but wouldn’t hold my breath if it doesn’t work out.