Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

No warning when hatch is open?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
. There are also the sonic sensors to alert you about a kid or a medium-sized animal.
But how would you possibly know if the (ultra)sonic sensors were going off if you already can't see the third of the dash that tells you your trunk is open, and already can't hear the chime that tells you it is?

I'm sorry, if you can't tell your trunk is open from the vehicle's systems, the ultrasonic sensors sure aren't going to save you as they use exactly the same notification methods.

But how would you possibly know if the (ultra)sonic sensors were going off if you already can't see the third of the dash that tells you your trunk is open, and already can't hear the chime that tells you it is?

I'm sorry, if you can't tell your trunk is open from the vehicle's systems, the ultrasonic sensors sure aren't going to save you as they use exactly the same notification methods.

My vehicle does not make any noise when the hatch is open. All I'm suggesting is it should make the same alert noise that happens when you put the vehicle into gear with the doors open.

Last edited:
So if you get it, you should know you did something wrong, and fix it.

it takes over a full THIRD of the instrument cluster to tell you what's going on, AND makes a noise to tell you something is wrong, AND pops up a notification at the bottom of the dash... I don't see what more it could possibly do!

I think it is fair to say there are times where a person is in a rush, and moves the car a few feet prior to checking all the gauges/etc (not saying they wouldn't check that status of the car before 'driving' onto public roads... but might be too late as it relates to the hatch up). The Tesla makes it so easy to do, since you don't need to actively start it.

As far as what more it could do.. a unique and repeating noise that is a bit more 'ominous'... (with a way to turn it off or have it stop after a few minutes... any damage you are likely to do would be at the onset).

If driving forward out of a garage, the camera isn't going to identify the trunk being open. Even checking the rear view mirror... IIRC the view with the hatch all the way open isn't much different than if it is closed (aside from defrost lines which would be missing, but those are subtle and may go unnoticed).

I mentioned that there is NO audible warning when the rear hatch is open and the vehicle is placed in drive/reverse to Tesla today while at the Factory. This concern will be brought up with software engineers etc. We'll have to wait and see what Tesla decides.

My vehicle does not make any noise when the hatch is open. All I'm suggesting is it makes the same alert noise that happens when you put the vehicle into gear with the doors open.

That's exactly the point I was trying to make. It has an indication on the dash, but no noises. I don't think I've had another vehicle that doesn't scream at me if a door or trunk was open while trying to drive.

The Tesla is the first vehicle I've ever had that has notified me of open doors/trunk/"fuel" door. My previous vehicles have had one small "idiot light" on the dash, and nothing at all else (and none of those mentioned the fuel door, only the doors or tailgate, my sedan that had a trunk had no warning at all for that one, not even a light). The Tesla is MUCH better at warning you than any of my previous vehicles.

The Tesla fills a third of the dash with a warning, my mercedes had NO INDICATION WHATSOEVER for the trunk being open, my Mitsubishi had a red light on the dash less than 1/4" tall.... The Tesla is MUCH better at warning you.

I don't know what year your Benz was, but my 2008 R-Class had a loud-ish, high-pitched "beeeeeeep!" if any of the doors, including the rear hatch were open while trying to drive. Maybe this is different for Canada?

So here's the ACTUAL operation of the car when you put it in drive with the rear hatch open:

1. The tiny red "door's ajar" icon is lit in the upper right of the dash.
2. The left dash pane has a picture of the car with an amber trunk to indicate the trunk is open.
3. There are NO noises indicating anything is wrong.
4. When you put it in drive, the left pane CHANGES from showing the hatch open to displaying the low speed front bumper sensor status and the rear hatch indication graphic goes away. Still NO noises.

So this means you can put the car in Drive, look down at the dash and only notice the little red icon that "some door is open"

Now, here's what happens when you put the car in Drive when a side door is open:

1. Left dash pane changes from showing the side door open to showing the front bumper sensors.
2. Little red "door's ajar" icon is lit.
3. High pitched "beep beep beep!" is heard. This is similar to "there's something terribly wrong with the car" noise.
4. The "Driver's Door Open" message pops up on the lower middle of the dash.
5. The car slams to a halt after driving a foot or two, automatically.

What's wrong with requesting Tesla at least add some beeps when the rear hatch is open when you put it in drive, ESPECIALLY when you have the third row seats with CHILDREN in the back???

Chris,

I am also amazed by the resistance on this thread. It is pretty easy to not notice the rear hatch is open especially when driving forward but I'd argue it is possible while reversing as well. The vehicle will audibly alert when any of the four doors are open (even though they would be easier to notice via the side-view mirrors, for example). Why wouldn't it alert about the rear hatch?

Has anybody tried the frunk? I have to assume it would alert as well but I haven't tried it.

Driving forward out of a garage should be more evident since you would have had to walk by the open hatch to get to the door of the car. Even if your garage was designed in the most odd way where your entrance was nearest the garage door, do people not even look at their car before getting in ?

I know nobody does this (not even me) but it is a staple of any driving test, and driver's education that the first thing you do when driving is check the car for roadworthiness before you even get in. You are supposed to be checking all four tires to see that you don't have a flat, you are supposed to check that there are no obstructions anywhere around your vehicle, no leaking fluids, and no new damage to the vehicle. The least you can do is lift your eyes and just look at the car to see the giant hatch up in the air.

In the case of a child sitting in the jump seats, when the button is pressed to open the hatch, there is a very noticeable audible tone that tells you the hatch is opening. Even if you were walking from the back to the driver's door of the car, you would hear the tone. If for some reason you wouldn't hear it, then you wouldn't hear whatever other tones Tesla adds to tell you the hatch is open.

Driving forward out of a garage should be more evident since you would have had to walk by the open hatch to get to the door of the car. Even if your garage was designed in the most odd way where your entrance was nearest the garage door, do people not even look at their car before getting in ?

I know nobody does this (not even me) but it is a staple of any driving test, and driver's education that the first thing you do when driving is check the car for roadworthiness before you even get in. You are supposed to be checking all four tires to see that you don't have a flat, you are supposed to check that there are no obstructions anywhere around your vehicle, no leaking fluids, and no new damage to the vehicle. The least you can do is lift your eyes and just look at the car to see the giant hatch up in the air.

In the case of a child sitting in the jump seats, when the button is pressed to open the hatch, there is a very noticeable audible tone that tells you the hatch is opening. Even if you were walking from the back to the driver's door of the car, you would hear the tone. If for some reason you wouldn't hear it, then you wouldn't hear whatever other tones Tesla adds to tell you the hatch is open.

In my case I open the hatch, put my daughter in, and then get in the car while I wait for my wife. I leave the hatch open to avoid it getting warm in there. Anywhere from 1 to 20 minutes later I close the hatch and then back out of the garage. But I agree that 99.9% of the time it won't be a problem, however there are always those edge cases, and I still don't see why it wouldn't alert for the hatch in the exact same way it alerts for the doors.

Has anybody tried the frunk? I have to assume it would alert as well but I haven't tried it.

Here's what pops up on the displays along with high pitches "bee-bee-bee-beep!" Pressing the "Ignore and continue driving" button makes the beeping stop and the center display warning go away, while the dash warning still appears.

What's wrong with having those same warnings for the rear hatch?

Please forgive the dusty dash. Someone left the pano roof open :)

IMG_20151230_125515.jpg
IMG_20151230_125503.jpg