Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

No way to get to Carlsbad Caverns?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Allsups has these chargers now throughout NM that can bridge the gap when traveling north from Carlsbad.

For the most part, not live yet so far as I know. Here is the latest state of DC from plugshare

Screen Shot 2022-02-22 at 6.16.54 AM.png

Last edited:
There are two Tesla L2 80A plugs at McDonalds on Main St in Roswell NM.

Scheduled will be CCS and Chademo at the Allsup's convenient store also on Main Street. Allsups has these chargers now throughout NM that can bridge the gap when traveling north from Carlsbad. So you have lunch at McDonalds and then walk to the alien museum for an hour and get enough added miles to make it to the Tesla Superchargers along I-40. Similar story in Carlsbad. Have your chademo adapter and maybe the CCS1 adapter soon from Tesla on all road trips and you should be good. Sure would be nice if Tesla put a nice V3 in the middle of the state.
The chargers at McDonalds in Carlsbad NM do not show up on Plug Share. I wonder why?

Not specific to Carlsbad, but what I would really love to see Tesla, EA and other providers do is search for the great rural road trip routes that currently lack charging, and put in at least some basic fast charging on them. Not to make a lot of money selling kwh -- because nobody makes money selling kwh -- but because it sells cars, by making people know "my EV isn't barred from these great routes." Possibly push local tourist boards and chambers of commerce to contribute, or get carmakers to contribute. Or charge a lot more to use them. Or, if the government really wants to get involved with subsidies -- which it is doing to make people find EVs more acceptable -- this could be something for them.

SW New Mexico is one of the charging deserts. US-50 in Nevada used to be but they put in chargers. Southern Utah around Bryce/Escalante/Canyonlands is a major one. Northern BC and areas of Alaska (Yukon is well supplied.) Baja California. Eastern Oregon and some areas of Idaho. There aren't that many and you would be able to say, "there's nowhere among the major great drives you can't do."

Reactions: TravelFree