Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

No way to get to Carlsbad Caverns?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Francis Energy was awarded the contracts to start building out DCFC in NM with the VW money. In April they established a local branch in Roswell. They're based in Oklahoma and have been incredibly prolific at installing DCFCs there so I would expect that we should start seeing a lot of activity in NM any day now.

Reactions: SageBrush
From Pecos doesn't look too bad if you have a LR.
1625509348493.png

Nic King has a really cozy Airbnb in Carlsbad with a 14-50 too. Listed on Plugshare. Super nice guy.

Yes, very nice guy. The room though, while functional and clean, is 1/2 a star and at least when I stayed there cost $100.
He thoughtfully puts out ear plugs for guests who find the hot water heat pump in the corner too noisy. ;)

The room is a DIY converted garage. Visitors should keep their expectations low but revel in the fully charged car in the AM. The other positive is a nice neighborhood and nearby riverwalk.

Francis Energy was awarded the contracts to start building out DCFC in NM with the VW money. In April they established a local branch in Roswell. They're based in Oklahoma and have been incredibly prolific at installing DCFCs there so I would expect that we should start seeing a lot of activity in NM any day now.

Yep. Pretty cool !

The charging will be relatively expensive if it follows OK, but as a bridge to Supercharging it will be most welcome. Time for TOCNM to buy a community CHAdeMO adapter while waiting for a Tesla blessed CCS adapter.

This translates as "we didn't pay for the equipment or the installation so we won't list it."

Dummies
That's what I got out of it too.
I recently stayed in a newer Home2Suite (Hilton property) in Page, AZ. There were 2 Tesla destination chargers in the parking lot. Those were not listed on the Tesla site either, I suspect because there was a Supercharger literally 1 mile away. I was the only one plugged into either charger for both nights we stayed. Nice!

Reactions: kayak1
Update to the region-

Allsups Convenience Store chain is installing chademo and CCS DC chargers around the state. You can get adapters to allow reasonable speeds for both plug standards. The adapters aren't cheap. I have a Chademo to Tesla and it works well on EVGo. Compared to Tesla 150 and 250KW Superchargers the Chademo only did 48KW but it didn't taper hardly at all for the 30 minutes I tested it. Same with the Nissan dealer free Chademo.

I have a friend who lives near this one and is checking it out to see if it is up and working.
Allsup's Convenience Store (Coming Soon)
3306 National Parks Hwy,
Carlsbad, NM 88220, USA

I think in another year there will be very few places we have a problem charging on remote road trips. Ready to road trip to Cabo San Lucas anybody? :)

Allsups Convenience Store chain is installing chademo and CCS DC chargers around the state.
Well, for sure CCS chargers are being installed, but it's not yet clear that there will also be CHAdeMO plugs. There's a picture on this forum of one of the new Francis Energy sites at the Allsup's in Clines Corners, NM that shows only CCS being installed. [Note: Francis Energy is the company that got the VW-dieselgate money to install the chargers at all those Allsup's locations in southeast New Mexico] Have to wait and see whether CHAdeMO gets any love at the rest of the relevant locations.

Well, for sure CCS chargers are being installed, but it's not yet clear that there will also be CHAdeMO plugs. There's a picture on this forum of one of the new Francis Energy sites at the Allsup's in Clines Corners, NM that shows only CCS being installed. [Note: Francis Energy is the company that got the VW-dieselgate money to install the chargers at all those Allsup's locations in southeast New Mexico] Have to wait and see whether CHAdeMO gets any love at the rest of the relevant locations.
There is a photo on PlugShare of the charging stalls in Carrizozo that show chademo plugs so I remain hopeful.

Nice! Thanks for the pointer. I just checked that out, and it is much more the type of set-up that I was expecting to see when I read Francis had plans to install the chargers at a bunch of Allsup's locations. Seeing the set-up at Clines Corners was a big, disappointing surprise for me. So, this is very good news.

There is a photo on PlugShare of the charging stalls in Carrizozo that show chademo plugs so I remain hopeful.
In Plug share the one in Carlsbad does show the 2 station with both CCS and Chademo same as that picture:
1631649123544.png
Until it goes in we won't know for sure. Besides, if these cabinets came from EA they may be as unreliable. The only DC chargers that we can depend on are Tesla Superchargers. I keep my hopes up Tesla is working on populating SE NM so their lower range M3's and MY can span the state reliably.

There are two Tesla L2 80A plugs at McDonalds on Main St in Roswell NM.

Scheduled will be CCS and Chademo at the Allsup's convenient store also on Main Street. Allsups has these chargers now throughout NM that can bridge the gap when traveling north from Carlsbad. So you have lunch at McDonalds and then walk to the alien museum for an hour and get enough added miles to make it to the Tesla Superchargers along I-40. Similar story in Carlsbad. Have your chademo adapter and maybe the CCS1 adapter soon from Tesla on all road trips and you should be good. Sure would be nice if Tesla put a nice V3 in the middle of the state.

How the elevation gain from Alamogordo to Cloudcraft and then to Artesia where they have destination chargers now. Is this possible without topping off in Alamogordo?

Which car are you driving? With a SR Model 3 you'd arrive in Cloudcroft with 10% from the El Paso Supercharger according to 'A better Route Planner.'

But there's a pair of free L2 chargers across the street from the John P Stop Air and Space Park in Alamogordo.