Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

NoA not wanting to stay in HOV lane

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
For fun, on my drive home tonight I tried disabling the use HOV lanes option and enabling a few times. The performance was the exact same.

Then I realized that the HOV lanes option is buried under the navigation options, not under autopilot. Therefore I don't believe navigate on autopilot uses that at all. It's simply for routing it seems.

I had a fascinating NOA experience on the way home from the airport today. I don't usually use NOA but just wanted to see where it's at. On 401W collector towards 403W there are 3 exit lanes. The leftmost of the 3 (which is like middle of 5 or 6 overall) is the ideal lane and goes to 403. I don't have speed based changes on at all, just navigation and requiring confirmation.

In a span of about 20-30 seconds NOA kept wanting me to change lane to the left to follow the route, then after a couple seconds wanted to change to the right. Then a couple seconds later left. And so on for about 10 iterations, until I disabled all autopilot and just drove.

I wish I had it on video (video of the display) as I actually lol'd at the ridiculousness of it.

It's the passing lane... not the stay in lane. NoA is doing it's job as designed.

People who stay in the far left lane and not passing are causing congestion and accidents further down the line.
Agreed, it is the passing lane, you should get out of it if not passing. However if the middle lane is doing 110, and the, passing lane is doing 125, I have no trouble staying there, except if somebody comes up behind me going faster. It which case it is proper to pull back to the middle lane and let them pass, even though I am doing well over the speed limit.

Reactions: corlaandstan
So on the stretch of the HOV lane on the 403 in Burlington Oakville navigate on autopilot constantly wants to take me out of the HOV lane and put me into bumper to bumper traffic. I think it's because the maps don't properly tag this as being an HOV lane and thinks I'm in the passing lane and it wants to get me out, but still doesnt explain trying to put me in traffic when in a fast moving lane.

I'm curious if other HOV lanes in Ontario or in Canada for that matter have the same issue or if it's just for this stretch?

Over the last number of software updates the functionality has changed but it's still not usable for anyone driving the HOV lane. Especially if you have lane change with no confirmation enabled, all of a sudden it'll put the turn signal on and brake and try and start initiating a lane change. like I said above, sometimes this happens when there's a double line and also even when the traffic on the right is stopped and the HOV lane is moving at 80 kilometers an hour. It still operates like this even on the latest software update, but there are other things that have changed along the way.

For example when coming westbound navigate on autopilot used to enter the HOV lane on its own by Trafalgar road but it was very spotty when doing so. Now it no longer enters the HOV lane. It's never entered the HOV lane coming eastbound when it starts at Brant. It has never tried moving into the HOV lane when it has already begun.

I actually like the lane change without confirmation where you just wiggle the steering wheel, but because 90% of my driving is in the HOV lane I find myself constantly enabling and then disabling navigate on autopilot.

So I'm curious what the experience of other users in Ontario that use the HOV lanes is? does navigate on autopilot enter the HOV lane for you and does it stay in there? does it only enter when the HOV starts or will its move you over to the left lane and and enter the HOV lane even when it's already begun?

Hi pcons,

I'm so happy to see your post, practically reporting my exact experience word for word when I travel from Etobicoke to Hamilton. When I finally get to enjoy the first bit of HOV lane going westbound to Hamilton, I now turn off NOA when I finally get to enjoy my green plate starting from Burlington (guess HOV lane will never exist east of Burlington going to Toronto via Gardiner....).

Reactions: corlaandstan
Hi pcons,
(guess HOV lane will never exist east of Burlington going to Toronto via Gardiner....).

I think the HOV did go all the way for the Pan Am games but I think it was 3 or more occupants at that point not sure if green plate applied. It was temporary and now is gone. But I guess there's hope. (And technically the HOV lane extends halfway into Oakville past Burlington :p)

I think the HOV did go all the way for the Pan Am games but I think it was 3 or more occupants at that point not sure if green plate applied. It was temporary and now is gone. But I guess there's hope. (And technically the HOV lane extends halfway into Oakville past Burlington :p)
Yeah, I agree that it likely will never get out there again. Most of that stretch is 2 lanes, and when the Pan Am games were on people were furious about the lanes not being occupied while cramming all other traffic into the remaining lanes. Only way HOV really works is if there are 4 lanes, so 3 are left for normal traffic (in high population areas)...maybe you could get away with 2 lanes + HOV in other areas, but 1 lane + HOV is something that wouldn't make much sense.

Yeah, I agree that it likely will never get out there again. Most of that stretch is 2 lanes, and when the Pan Am games were on people were furious about the lanes not being occupied while cramming all other traffic into the remaining lanes. Only way HOV really works is if there are 4 lanes, so 3 are left for normal traffic (in high population areas)...maybe you could get away with 2 lanes + HOV in other areas, but 1 lane + HOV is something that wouldn't make much sense.

Except for one very short part of the Gardiner right between the Spadina and Jarvis exits it's 3 lanes all the way downtown. I'm driving there a lot these days. So what you're saying is there's hope :D

Edit: It's also 2 lanes when you start on the DVP for the first 500m or so, but that's the DVP not the QEW/Gardiner.

For fun, on my drive home tonight I tried disabling the use HOV lanes option and enabling a few times. The performance was the exact same.

Then I realized that the HOV lanes option is buried under the navigation options, not under autopilot. Therefore I don't believe navigate on autopilot uses that at all. It's simply for routing it seems.

NOA does use it. With HOV on, it will always take me into the HOV lane as quickly as it can (417 in Ottawa). With it off it keeps to the regular lanes. I know because I tried turning this off to solve my problem of the car braking for cars in other lanes when I'm in the HOV (it didn't help).

• Informative
Reactions: pcons
NOA does use it. With HOV on, it will always take me into the HOV lane as quickly as it can (417 in Ottawa). With it off it keeps to the regular lanes. I know because I tried turning this off to solve my problem of the car braking for cars in other lanes when I'm in the HOV (it didn't help).
In hindsight, yeah that makes sense. It's using it for routing, and hence NoA follows the route it selects. I guess when I did my 'test' I was already in the HOV lane so in both situations it was trying to take me out of the lane...but you are right since the route using HOV would call to be in that lane anyway.

When on the 403 westbound through Oakville yesterday evening, with "use HOV lanes" enabled in Navigation the car would first go into the HOV lane then keep trying at every lane opening section to take me out of the HOV lane and I had to keep cancelling the lane change. Has this happened to anyone?

When on the 403 westbound through Oakville yesterday evening, with "use HOV lanes" enabled in Navigation the car would first go into the HOV lane then keep trying at every lane opening section to take me out of the HOV lane and I had to keep cancelling the lane change. Has this happened to anyone?
Yes, that was the initial thing I started this thread on.

What software version are you on? I upgraded to 2019.24.4 last night, and on my ride in the NoA didn't try and pull me out of the HOV lane for the entire stretch from Burlington to Oakville (eastbound). Previously it would always try and pull me out immediately after getting in. Will see how it works on the way home tonight, but an encouraging sign that all those bug reports I filed made a difference :)

Reactions: bijan