Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Noise Reduction Kit

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
36 sq ft will cover entire car if you are not doing under seat wells and behind seats. When it arrived I thought I purchased too much but it's just the perfect amount; if you decide to do the seats and carpet then you can always order more.

But the way you might apply is different from others and might begin with the carpet, seat wells, and doors first; in this case you would have more than enough; I went into places people wouldn't even think of so you can use the extra for these kinda pieces and applications.

your answer is "36" square feet; make sure to get the dynatape and roller to as it cleans up the edges and seals your cuts.

45" feet if doing entire car - front bumper; footwells, belly panel, rear of car, doors, dash

Call me lazy, but I just had @CM_007 do my sound deadening. I love it! Definitely a noticeable difference. I can have an almost normal conversation at highway speeds now and can actually hear the stereo. Whether a person does it himself or has someone like Carl do it, it's worth every penny!

Dynamat is a great product. Using only the dynamat as seen in the above photos yields a 2-6 db difference. The factory 2.5 package that Tesla created only removed 2.0 DB from the cabin noise. I created the package most people purchased and Tesla sold for $6000 in 2009. Most of the NW Roadsters have this package.

Our packages remove anywhere from12-32DB off of the cabin noise. Our top of the line package requires us to remove the ESS pack and coat the bulkhead in two different materials. We replaced all the body panels on a roadster from Alaska in 2015. We actually put materials on the inside of every panel and yielded a 38DB reduction in cabin noise. The car was so quiet we couldn't hear the pavement or the wind. (top on)

On Islands Roadster the before and after readings were 72db before and 48db after. The car is remarkably quiet. So much so, I think he could lay his cell phone on the passenger seat on speaker and have a conversation. But with the stereo upgrades IslandRoadster did, I would throw the phone in the trunk and listen to music. His audio is that good. Cheers - medlockandsons.com

Dynamat is a great product. Using only the dynamat as seen in the above photos yields a 2-6 db difference. The factory 2.5 package that Tesla created only removed 2.0 DB from the cabin noise. I created the package most people purchased and Tesla sold for $6000 in 2009. Most of the NW Roadsters have this package.

Our packages remove anywhere from12-32DB off of the cabin noise. Our top of the line package requires us to remove the ESS pack and coat the bulkhead in two different materials. We replaced all the body panels on a roadster from Alaska in 2015. We actually put materials on the inside of every panel and yielded a 38DB reduction in cabin noise. The car was so quiet we couldn't hear the pavement or the wind. (top on)

On Islands Roadster the before and after readings were 72db before and 48db after. The car is remarkably quiet. So much so, I think he could lay his cell phone on the passenger seat on speaker and have a conversation. But with the stereo upgrades IslandRoadster did, I would throw the phone in the trunk and listen to music. His audio is that good. Cheers - medlockandsons.com

OT: I just noticed that your avatar looks like you have a tree growing out of the passenger compartment! :D

I am not sure what I have done is much different than sound reduction stage 2 that was added to the 2.5 I believe, or as an option to the earlier models. But yes I used a combination of adhesive felt in the dash area, thicker felt behind the seats and other areas of the tub.

Not sure why the quote didn't show in my previous post ...
What makes your noise reduction different?
Do you use dynamat plus felt?

I decided to do some DIY sound reduction with a hybrid of Tesla Stage 1, parts of @dhrivnak & @hcsharp's stage 2+ outlined earlier in this thread, and @JohnGarziglia's pursuit of noiseless perfection

Contrary to prior posts I saw, Tesla does have a handful of the Stage 1 soundproofing pieces still available
- 6005069 - NVH Insert Carpet Bulkhead Rr - In stock $100
- 6005072 - NVH Insert B-Pillar (Qty. 2 Required) - In stock $100 ea
- 6005051 - Sheet NVH Damping (Qty. 6 Required) - In stock $100 ea (damping pads for footwell, under seat, lower bulkhead)
- 6005070 - NVH Insert Door Trim LH - In stock $35
- 6005296 - NVH Insert Door Trim RH - OUT
- 6005071 - NVH Insert Asy Sill Mldg Upr LH - OUT (A-Pillar waterfall trim)
- 6005295 - NVH Insert Asy Sill Mldg Upr RH - OUT
- 6009096 - NVH Pnl W-Arch Liner Upr Fr LH - In stock $150 (wheel well liners)
- 6009095 - NVH Pnl W-Arch Liner Upr Fr RH - In stock $150
- 6005053 - Pnl, Undershield Fr - In stock $300
- 6005052 - Pnl, Undershield Mid - OUT

Note on the Mid-Underpanel piece I marked as OUT -- I realized after seeing @jason.tv 's post, that the part # I had above was deprecated -- research shows it's superceded by 6005270, which has the access ports for the Lift Adapter Mount Points in Jason's pic. This part is available for $460. The "Closers" (the access port covers) are $65 ea

No Stage 2 pieces available, though that's just off the shelf Dynamat Extreme & Dynaliner and repurposed retail weather seals.

I got Noico Black 80mil instead of the Dnymat Extreme, because I'm cheap ;). I was curious about the Tesla parts, but because the Tesla damping sheets are a crazy $100, I sourced Lotus equivalent parts from DeRoure for $10-15 per piece (they have different parts for each of the 3 positions) so all 6 with shipping from UK was still the price of 1 Tesla sheet! Do the Tesla parts include Installation Costs?!? The Lotus parts (gray rectangles in front in the pic) feel similar in weight and thickness to the Noico, but considerably less flexible.
IMG_20200308_152834.jpg

After taking out the interior I found that my 2.0 has the factory footwell pads! I guess that was part of the 2.0 "improved sound insulation" vs. 1.5.

IMG_20200412_093224.jpg

The Lotus footwell parts look identical to the Tesla damping pads in terms of thickness & dimensions (just not oxidized). The bulkhead ones are slightly narrower. DeRoure didn't have the under seat ones in stock, but they were the most expensive so guessing they are somewhat larger than Tesla's.
IMG_20200412_093854.jpg

Tip for taking out the center console. The front of the console connects to the bottom of the dash with 2 hidden 6mm allen head bolts you need to remove and replace blind. You can see where they attach in this picture. And there's a hidden allen screw under the traction control & seat heater buttons that connects to the plastic parking brake surround.
IMG_20200411_144853.jpg

IMG_20200411_144537.jpg

I was going by the "you don't need to cover the whole panel" philosophy so ended up with this patchwork of Noico (shiny aluminum stuff) & the factory / Lotus damping pads. Tub sound reduction done -- I didn't do Noico Red (Dynaliner equivalent) because it doesn't get too cold here and didn't want things too quiet :eek:
IMG_20200412_105219.jpg

The Tesla trim inserts are ~1/4" thick white felt type pieces with double sided adhesive to attach. When I went to pick up what I'd ordered from Tesla, I saw the B-Pillar inserts were 2" x 12" rectangles . . . for $100, I cancelled those and decided to fab my own, but I did keep the driver's side door and the wheel well liners (headlight access panels sold separately) that were available. (Bulkhead liner didn't arrive before the C-19 lockdown started)

I fabbed the trim inserts from Bonded Logic UltraTouch that I had leftover from another project. This looks like the same stuff Henry used in lieu of Dynaliner.

The factory A-Pillar piece is just an "L" covering the wider vertical area and area under the bin. I made a "U" going back up the narrow side to cover more of the trim surface area. While it may have made more sense to have the refective layer outward to provide a radiant barrier to improve insulation, I decided to use that for better adhesion of the double sided tape :rolleyes:
IMG_20200323_215021.jpg

The driver's side door insert served as the template for the passenger side piece I made. The slits at the bottom are to acommodate the window switches and wiring. I also put Noico on the outer door shell.
IMG_20200322_124924.jpg

IMG_20200328_112625.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_20200412_173618.jpg
    IMG_20200412_173618.jpg
    539.3 KB · Views: 31
Last edited:
  • Helpful
Reactions: dhrivnak
In addition to the stuff I put on the B-Pillar Trim, I also put some material next to and under the passenger seat belt retractor. I didn't do the same on the driver's side because that's where the Subwoofer Port is and didn't want to block that sound
IMG_20200412_173618.jpg

IMG_20200412_173659.jpg

I decided to put Noico on my original underpanel pieces vs. buying the new ones. Again, I found some more factory sound damping installed on the mid-underpanel! You 2.0 guys who did Stage 1 Sound Reduction should have gotten a discount!!
IMG_20200411_103348.jpg

And added Noico to the front underpanel (part of Stage 1) as well as the rear underpanel piece (the gaps were so it wouldn't contact the PEM & Motor fans), and other spots like the front fenders above the wheel well liners and parts of the frame that have hollow or reverberating sounds when knocked on, but nothing near as extensive as John or Jason.
IMG_20200411_110732.jpg

IMG_20200414_185444.jpg

IMG_20200308_153949.jpg

In addition to the stuff I put on the B-Pillar Trim, I also put some material next to and under the passenger seat belt retractor. I didn't do the same on the driver's side because that's where the Subwoofer Port is and didn't want to block that sound
View attachment 541754
View attachment 541749

I decided to put Noico on my original underpanel pieces vs. buying the new ones. Again, I found some more factory sound damping installed on the mid-underpanel! You 2.0 guys who did Stage 1 Sound Reduction should have gotten a discount!!
View attachment 541750

And added Noico to the front underpanel (part of Stage 1) as well as the rear underpanel piece (the gaps were so it wouldn't contact the PEM & Motor fans), and other spots like the front fenders above the wheel well liners and parts of the frame that have hollow or reverberating sounds when knocked on, but nothing near as extensive as John or Jason.
View attachment 541751
View attachment 541752
View attachment 541753

With your new rotors your car will still be lighter with all the sound deadening installed

Reactions: drewski