Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Noise Reduction Kit

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Great Job!!

The first pic looks like you took seats and rails out entirely ..... is it all metric?

All the bolts are metric. The passinger seat uses a 6mm allen I do believe and the right front is a total bear to get out with the 2.5 seats. There is just no clearance. I think Tesla uses a LONG bulb end allen. The rest of the bolts were easy and the seats are attached to the frame rails. Just 4 bolts for each seat, one on each corner.

- - - Updated - - -

So aside from the satisfaction was it worthwhile??? If so I'm driving out to VT:)

If you have a 1.5 with no sound kit then it is well worth it. With a 2.5 the change is more subtle. I think we went (with a very crude phone app) from 66db to 62db. It is still far from a quiet car. But to me it sounds more solid and refined, especially in the 1.5 (which I have) which to me sounded like a tin can rolling on a gravel road.

Last edited:
It's HCSharps fault!

Well i had to apply some of that additional sound proofing from HCSharp's project to my car after I got back. So out comes the seat for some additional sound proofing. You can see the Dynamat poking around the carpeting and I added the sound absorption under the seat. Hopefully I can also run the heater a bit less in the winter.

Sound_2.JPG

I did Sound II *Plus*over the weekend with the help of the soundproofing expert here on TMC - dhrivnak. I was concerned about weight so I used the Superlight Dynamat material and in addition I lined the whole tub - basically everywhere there was carpet with Bonded Logic sound insulating material. It's a great insulator and sound absorber. Also very light. Maybe Dave will post some pics. He was really nice to help me - saved me a lot of time and prevented me from making a lot of mistakes.

I am taking your advice and will add soundproofing while my seats are out. The floor seemed pretty straight forward, but the doors seem much more challenging. Do you recommend breaking through the plastic and putting Dynamat on the inside of the outer door panel? How in the world did you get the Dynamat on the upper part of the door? There's a metal bar going all the way across the door. Did you also Dynamat the outside of the plastic area? Thanks much!

I am taking your advice and will add soundproofing while my seats are out. The floor seemed pretty straight forward, but the doors seem much more challenging. Do you recommend breaking through the plastic and putting Dynamat on the inside of the outer door panel? How in the world did you get the Dynamat on the upper part of the door? There's a metal bar going all the way across the door. Did you also Dynamat the outside of the plastic area? Thanks much!

I didn't have to "break through" anything. I have a 2.5 which already had some white felt padding in the door along with the plastic I assume you're talking about. I was able to carefully remove the plastic and felt pad. If you get in the right position you can twist your hands up to cover the inside of the top of the door. I had to cut 2 - 3 small pieces. I also did the inside of the outer door panel which makes a big difference as there is nothing there to start, even in a 2.5. Most of the low frequency noise I get now is from behind the seats even though I put a lot of Dynamat and covered the entire thing with Bonded Logic felt.

Reactions: dhrivnak
This last Saturday we gathered our courage and installed some Dynamat Extreme in our Roadster. We left an inch or so from the edge of each panel and only went up halfway in the back. We did not do the door panels (not brave enough for that yet). It took approximately 12 hours including R&R the seats/carpeting.

The next day we took our car out for a test drive and did notice a significant amount of sound dampening.

It's HCSharps fault!

Well i had to apply some of that additional sound proofing from HCSharp's project to my car after I got back. So out comes the seat for some additional sound proofing. You can see the Dynamat poking around the carpeting and I added the sound absorption under the seat. Hopefully I can also run the heater a bit less in the winter.

View attachment 25319

How much dynamat would you recommend buying to do the entire project? I need to take out my seats to redo them anyways and thought I should do this as well while they're out!

How much dynamat would you recommend buying to do the entire project? I need to take out my seats to redo them anyways and thought I should do this as well while they're out!
It has been quite a while so I can’t recall. I am guessing 45 sqft for the full tub Including under seats, and I added some inside the doors and the lower belly pan as well. So probably about 60sqft on my car.

Last edited:
Reactions: jason.tv
36 sq ft will cover entire car if you are not doing under seat wells and behind seats. When it arrived I thought I purchased too much but it's just the perfect amount; if you decide to do the seats and carpet then you can always order more.

But the way you might apply is different from others and might begin with the carpet, seat wells, and doors first; in this case you would have more than enough; I went into places people wouldn't even think of so you can use the extra for these kinda pieces and applications.

your answer is "36" square feet; make sure to get the dynatape and roller to as it cleans up the edges and seals your cuts.

45" feet if doing entire car - front bumper; footwells, belly panel, rear of car, doors, dash

https://www.amazon.com/Dynamat-10455-Self-Adhesive-Deadener-Xtreme/dp/B00020CB2S/ref=sr_1_4?crid=3U78I0LKQFVB1&dchild=1&keywords=dynamat&qid=1585861990&sprefix=dyna,aps,165&sr=8-4

https://www.amazon.com/Dynamat-1310...ild=1&keywords=dynatape&qid=1585862747&sr=8-1

Last edited:
Reactions: drewski
It depends to some extent on which version Roadster you have. The 2.5 already has a lot of sound deadening material very similar to Dynamat but you still need more. If you apply it according to the instructions then you will not need 36 sq ft regardless of which Roadster you have. The manufacturer recommends only adding it to the center of panels. It just adds weight if you install it in corners or along the edges of panels. The same is not true of the foil faced 1/2" cotton felt that I added under all the carpeting including sides of foot wells and behind seats. That helped reduce high-pitched noise and provide thermal insulation while the Dynamat helped with lower-pitched noise.