Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Noise under dash when waking up from sleep

tyfosho

Jul 17, 2018
Texas
I had something weird start with one of the latest software updates, and I'm wondering if anyone else is experiencing the same thing.

Whenever the car wakes up from being asleep for more than a couple of hours, I get a noise under the dash that sounds like somebody crinkling a paper bag. It happens for about 15-20 seconds, then just stops and doesn't happen again for the rest of the drive.

Has anyone experienced anything similar recently?

wingnutsglory

Aug 19, 2019
PNW
Hmm. Mine doesn't sound quite like that but when the heat is starting up, i've heard what I've thought must be the coils warming from cold. Granted, mine is new to me and has always been that way (all 4 days).

Matsayz

Jul 6, 2019
Las Vegas
That doesn’t sound good. Put in a ticket through the app. I would tell them you have a video with good audio if they want to give you an email address to send it to as well.

tyfosho

Jul 17, 2018
Texas
Mine has started doing that with the cold weather. It’s the HVAC system warming up in cold weather.

I think this may be it. I know what the vent actuators sound like, and this isn't it. However, it was a little warmer here today and it didn't do it so it seems like it may be a cold weather thing. Strange...

5_+JqckQttqck

Apr 27, 2018
Toronto
If you put the file into a sound editor and watch the peak of the sound wave - sounds like a fan is rubbing until it warms up(lubed?).

Probably needs to be cleaned and lubed, how to do that? No clue :rolleyes:

Products we're discussing on TMC...

About Us

Formed in 2006, Tesla Motors Club (TMC) was the first independent online Tesla community. Today it remains the largest and most dynamic community of Tesla enthusiasts. Learn more.

Do you value your experience at TMC? Consider becoming a Supporting Member of Tesla Motors Club. As a thank you for your contribution, you'll get nearly no ads in the Community and Groups sections. Additional perks are available depending on the level of contribution. Please visit the Account Upgrades page for more details.

SUPPORT TMC