Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Noisy headlining

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Dilly

Feb 24, 2020
Norfolk
It’s not really headlining, but somewhere within the padding either above the driver’s door or perhaps the seat belt pillar, there is an annoying vibration which I only noticed today.
What seems to set it off is the joints on motorway surfaces. On most surfaces, it’s quiet.
(I know. Stay off motorways!!)

anyone had similar?
Is it a Ranger job?

Are you sure it's not the glass on seal rattle issue? It's very common. When the window seal dries out the glass rubs on the seal when the car flexes over bumps and it sounds like a rattle for some reason. Lubricating the seal fixes it. Gummi pflege lubricant is the best option since it contains no silicone which is bad for the seals

Reactions: lasttourist
I've noticed this, and in our case we figured out it's not the headlining but is actually part of the seatbelt - either the seatbelt buckle rattling against the seat, or the height-adjust part of the seatbelt mechanism rattling. It only happens without a passenger and happens far more often if the passenger seat is moved forward more than usual

I've also heard of the glass rattling on the seal, as above, and the headlining between the two glass roof segments

It’s more of a reverberation within the lining. When I can, I’ll get someone to sit behind me and try an hone it down.
It’s not a metal on metal rattle more like something loose inside the trim panel

It’s not really headlining, but somewhere within the padding either above the driver’s door or perhaps the seat belt pillar, there is an annoying vibration which I only noticed today.
What seems to set it off is the joints on motorway surfaces. On most surfaces, it’s quiet.
(I know. Stay off motorways!!)

anyone had similar?
Is it a Ranger job?
Check this subject out....

Creaky sound from windshield area​

I have something that sounds very much like this. Weird kind of creak, though much much quieter than the chap in the video @Keldron subject linked to above. Mine also seems to be triggered by broken roads - like a little judder sets it off. The wonders of South East London surfaces mean that is…often.

It does seem to come and go though, which I think maybe is temperature related. Will try out the window lubricant idea (for which thanks) but this does sound more trim related to me.