Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Noisy Sub Trunk Covers

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've had my 2021 Model Y for about 6 weeks. Since day 1, I have been hearing a strange sound from the rear cargo area when hit the slightest bumps in the road, mostly local streets versus the highway. I've now removed everything stored in the back, thinking it was something bouncing, but still hear the noise.

This morning, I had to pick up 4 boxes off DD coffee for the office. I sat them on top of the sub trunk cover (closest to the opening of the trunk) and no longer heard the noise for the rest of my trip in no matter how many road bumps I hit.

Is this normal? Assuming not, other than keeping something heavy on the sub trunk cover, are there any suggestions to is there any way to "tighten down" the cover so it does not bounce while driving?

Unless you are hitting very large bumps at very high speed that cover should not be lifting enough to be falling back down and making a noise. Are you sure it's seated correctly? Does it "wobble" when you push on it at corners? My guess is it's either not fully seated properly due to simple error positioning it when putting it in place or that it might be warped slightly and need replacement.

Upvote 0
Unless you are hitting very large bumps at very high speed that cover should not be lifting enough to be falling back down and making a noise. Are you sure it's seated correctly? Does it "wobble" when you push on it at corners? My guess is it's either not fully seated properly due to simple error positioning it when putting it in place or that it might be warped slightly and need replacement.
It does not seem to wobble but you bring up a great point. I am going to remove both tomorrow before my commute to see if it eliminates the noise I am hearing. If not, then it is obviously something else.

Upvote 0
I picked up my MYP on Dec 04,2021 model year 2022. I am hearing this noise from trunk.
I tried remove 1 big cover first and hear the same noise, removed both and still hear the same noise........
How can I upload video here to share the noise I recorded?

Upvote 0
I have the trunk noise too, only when going over certain bumps in the road. It sounds like rattling boards. I cannot seem to find anything. The Tesla dealership serviced it, had it for 3 days, and found nothing to cause this sound and reset my firmware, but it did not resolve the problem. Now my trunk is opening randomly while parked. It has happened in my garage at home as well as out in public parking lots. Not sure what to do now?

Upvote 0
I have the trunk noise too, only when going over certain bumps in the road. It sounds like rattling boards. I cannot seem to find anything. The Tesla dealership serviced it, had it for 3 days, and found nothing to cause this sound and reset my firmware, but it did not resolve the problem. Now my trunk is opening randomly while parked. It has happened in my garage at home as well as out in public parking lots. Not sure what to do now?
If you have a performance trim, check that the spoiler on liftgate is not loose. Mine is loose on one side and rattles against the car body when I go over large bumps

Upvote 0