Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Noisy

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
As I was driving today I pulled up a decible app on my phone and laid it on my lap.

At our dining room table it registers 35 db.

During the drive it registered a low of 62, an average of 72, and a max of 95.

Max is almost as loud as a concert.

Just driving on city pavement, mostly asphalt. Some was rubberized asphalt and that is where the low readings came in.

I know it's just an app and undoubtedly not scientifically accurate. But it does give a relative idea.

Shows the Model 3 MR is definitely not a quiet car. Unless it's on rubberized asphalt.

I love my Tesla but I wish they had put some sound deadening in there.

Do the newer models have more soundproofing?

As I was driving today I pulled up a decible app on my phone and laid it on my lap.

Just driving on city pavement, mostly asphalt. Some was rubberized asphalt and that is where the low readings came in.

I know it's just an app and undoubtedly not scientifically accurate. But it does give a relative idea.

Shows the Model 3 MR is definitely not a quiet car. Unless it's on rubberized asphalt.

There are lots of threads about sound deadening due to the loud road and wind noise lots of us hear. You can really go down a rabbit hole with these solutions but it depends how committed you are.

A tweet made by Elon and many anecdotes from people with MY2020 M3s have suggested that cabin noise has been much reduced in the newer models but no details about what exactly has been changed or improved have been identified yet.

Cabin noise is reduced on the 2020, I own one and drove a couple older ones. With that being said this is where Tesla quality doesn't compare to luxury brands. Other brands have better build quality, better sound deadening, and the use of active noise cancellation make a big difference. Regardless I knew of all this prior to me buying it.

Before you pronounce the Model 3 terrible, have you tried it in other vehicles on the same roads?

Before you pronounce the Model 3 terrible, have you tried it in other vehicles on the same roads?
==========
I didn't call it " terrible " --- I said it was "noisy" :)

No I haven't tried it in other vehicles. My previous vehicle was a 1995 F-150 and I KNOW that was terrible.
My wife's Kia Optima is 8 years old now ( and not a single mechanical problem -- made in Korea ) but it wouldn't be fair to compare that because it is old enough to have rattles etc. I used to think it was quiet but the Tesla is quieter, no doubt.

It isn't a comparison to other cars anyway.

We can only drive one car at a time ( most of us ) and when driving the Tesla is seems quite noisy when not on rubberized asphalt. Then it is much quieter. But then, all cars are.

I'm sorta surprised they haven't come out with a retrofit to put in sound insulation. I know there has been a multitude of complaints about sound in the Model 3. The things that I've seen seem like a half-assed attempt to quiet it down. I suppose it's better than nothing, but from what I've seen, not by much.

I love my M3 and I love my wife but neither one is perfect.
I <am> of course.

Using my phone.
my wife 2014 glk diesel register 68-70 dB.
driving my old Subaru gives me 71-72db on the same road 15 min later at same speed
Model 3 registered 55-59 dB

I have a 2020 model delivered in December 19. it’s pretty quiet to me. Very faint wind noise from a pillar (which I’ll try the sponge trick) and noises transmitted via the bushings when the road sucks.

now it’s the carseat in my car making the most sound.

Using my phone.
my wife 2014 glk diesel register 68-70 dB.
driving my old Subaru gives me 71-72db on the same road 15 min later at same speed
Model 3 registered 55-59 dB

I have a 2020 model delivered in December 19. it’s pretty quiet to me. Very faint wind noise from a pillar (which I’ll try the sponge trick) and noises transmitted via the bushings when the road sucks.

now it’s the carseat in my car making the most sound.
Wow! My 18" goes up to around 80dB when going 65mph. I think it is around 65dB when im going 20mph on city streets.

What speed is that 55-59 at?

Wow! My 18" goes up to around 80dB when going 65mph. I think it is around 65dB when im going 20mph on city streets.

What speed is that 55-59 at?

Ohh the road is not highway. It’s a 70km/hr road. But I was driving at about 90. So that’s like 55mph.

on highway it really depends on the road. Some highway is around 60 (new asphalt) Some are around 72 (Kind of asphalt from 5-8 years ago with construction going on). That’s the bushing sound I hear. Wish Tesla would use softer bushing.

I have the aero wheel with the cover and stock tires.

And umm highway = freeway for Americans. Lol. I lived in Silicon Valley for a few years and I still call them highway and washroom as suppose to freeway and restroom. Lol