Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Nokian Studded Tire Package

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I noticed that the Nokian package is back in the store. Has anybody used them this winter? I am specifically concerned about their performance on dry and wet pavement. I have no doubt that they are terrific in the middle of a snow storm. As other posters have noted, it would certainly be easier if Tesla would just sell the 19" wheels and sensors and let you choose your own snow tire. I suspect that they are using every wheel as they ramp up production.

I noticed that the Nokian package is back in the store. Has anybody used them this winter? I am specifically concerned about their performance on dry and wet pavement. I have no doubt that they are terrific in the middle of a snow storm. As other posters have noted, it would certainly be easier if Tesla would just sell the 19" wheels and sensors and let you choose your own snow tire. I suspect that they are using every wheel as they ramp up production.

Nokians are great winter tires. All my ice racing buddies use them if they can't get specially built ice racing tires (e.g. non-DOT approved). However, they are studded, which is a problem. Studded tires wear roads, are not as good in anything but certain icy conditions, and increase the instance of lung cancer in areas they are used heavily. However, Tesla sells the wheels separately and you can install Nokian Hakkapeliitta R tires which are studless and have consistently garnered the top awards. One place I have personally used to purchase Nokians is Tires by Web.

You can either order them separately with your car I believe or order them through the service center (19" rims). The Rangers or the service centers can mount the tires that you buy separately and place the TPMS sensor for you.

Clarification,

You can only buy the 19 inch wheels through the service centers. You may and should talk with them before your vehicle arrives. You will need to pay for the wheels separately by check or credit card. The service centers typically do not have cash.

You should also buy the TPMS, center plug(T), mount, balance, install, and set TPMS. Remember everything costs money.

Thanks to all. I did not know you can just get the 19" rims at the Service Centers and that solves the problem. Strange that they are not in the Tesla Web Store. I will look at the non-studded Nokian winter options. The tires are expensive, but from the reviews I have read you get what you pay for.