Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

"non refurbished" CPOs?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It may just be that previously over zealous refurbishers were going way overboard when getting a trade in prepared for resale. Changed out anything that was not perfect, spent hours and hours doing paint correction, sending out tiny curb marks on wheels to a specialized 3rd party, replacing headliners with small marks, putting on new tires for slight wear, going over the driveling and installing lots of new motors, controllers, chargers, etc.

When accounting figured out how much this was costing them, they might have blown their tops and put a stop to it.

For years we never heard a peep out of CPO customers. They seemed to get a just as good as new vehicle for significant savings, however recently there have been some posts from customers saying it looked more like a used car than something factory fresh.

Reactions: bhzmark
It may just be that previously over zealous refurbishers were going way overboard when getting a trade in prepared for resale. Changed out anything that was not perfect, spent hours and hours doing paint correction, sending out tiny curb marks on wheels to a specialized 3rd party, replacing headliners with small marks, putting on new tires for slight wear, going over the driveling and installing lots of new motors, controllers, chargers, etc.

When accounting figured out how much this was costing them, they might have blown their tops and put a stop to it.

For years we never heard a peep out of CPO customers. They seemed to get a just as good as new vehicle for significant savings, however recently there have been some posts from customers saying it looked more like a used car than something factory fresh.

Sure but there has to be some middle ground between that and we don't refurbish, take the used Tesla you just bought to a body shop and get it fixed. That attitude is inconsiderate and disrespectful for someone paying $70,000 for a used car. No car dealer would treat a CPO customer this way.

It is worth noting that every car manufacturer and dealer between Kia and Mercedes has figured out how to cost effectively refurbish CPO cars and offer a pleasant and predictable experience for customers. Whether you go to a VW CPO car lot or a Porsche CPO lot, you will see the cars have all been refurbished to look like new.

I don't understand why the entire car industry, for all their faults, can offer like new CPO cars to customers with the exception of Tesla. A Tesla customer should be treated at least as well as a CPO Kia customer o_O

Reactions: hmmm and davidc18
But how can that be though because it seems many of the CPO cars are used as loaners and in the past they seem to have refurbished cars only when someone buys it. I don't recall someone buying a CPO car that was already refurbished where they only had to ship it. Seems the usual routine is someone buys a CPO car, they then have to find it and figure out who is driving it as a loaner, have the customer return the loaner, and then ship and refurbish the car before delivery.

My OA said that they changed the process a few weeks ago. They didn't like the long delays (because customers didn't like them), so they shifted to refurbing the cars before putting them up on the website.

He said they've also been trying to determine where the pricing should be, by raising the prices of all the cars and then gradually lowering them until someone buys it.

• Informative
Reactions: davidc18
Sure but there has to be some middle ground between that and we don't refurbish, take the used Tesla you just bought to a body shop and get it fixed. That attitude is inconsiderate and disrespectful for someone paying $70,000 for a used car. No car dealer would treat a CPO customer this way.

It is worth noting that every car manufacturer and dealer between Kia and Mercedes has figured out how to cost effectively refurbish CPO cars and offer a pleasant and predictable experience for customers. Whether you go to a VW CPO car lot or a Porsche CPO lot, you will see the cars have all been refurbished to look like new.

I don't understand why the entire car industry, for all their faults, can offer like new CPO cars to customers with the exception of Tesla. A Tesla customer should be treated at least as well as a CPO Kia customer o_O

According to my OA, they are going to start being more picky about which cars qualify for the CPO process (versus being dumped at auction), only picking ones that are already in really good condition.

If that's the case then maybe that is part of the reason why it's so hard to get parts. CPO cars hog them first.

My OA said that they changed the process a few weeks ago. They didn't like the long delays (because customers didn't like them), so they shifted to refurbing the cars before putting them up on the website.

He said they've also been trying to determine where the pricing should be, by raising the prices of all the cars and then gradually lowering them until someone buys it.

If you pull up the history they typically drop $800 a day or so, I was watching this one that finally dropped to 73 but didn't screen shot the last few days.
IMG_0785.jpg

I think part of the issue is that without a traditional dealership, Tesla is not equipped to sell used cars the way we are accustomed to. Other brands can do body work and high-level detail right on their own property.

I'm youngish and progressive, but I still find the Tesla "store" experience a bit lacking even for a new car transaction.

I think they'd be better off creating a new division which could process and sell CPO cars the old fashioned way - or, wholesaling them to one or several companies which could become known as the place to go for a properly refurbished used Tesla.

I’m kinda overwhelmed with these comments because my CPO experience was very very different. My 2014 pearl white/grey interior S85 with 31k miles was delivered thru Buena Park, CA last July. I was very frustrated by the 7 weeks it took to get it from San Diego and thru the Buena Park rehab process, but other than that I could not be happier. I negotiated (no extra $) replacement 19” slipstreams (not produced until 2016) w/ new Michelin’s. The advisor sent me half dozen “broad angle” pics before rehab. Did not hand over $$$ until I went over car; only one moderate issue they readily agreed to order the part to rectify. No scuff marks on door sills, black Alicante headliner & pillars completely unmarked, new floor mats. No scratches or even door dings. The car looked (and still does) like brand new. I have been promoting my CPO story to friends. One did go that way and his experience was similar to mine, but at Tesla a lot can change in 9 months.

Reactions: Brettski
I'm picking up a CPO in the new non-refurb program on Saturday (4/21).
Late 2014 Model S 85 with Autopilot 60k mi, 2 year CPO warranty. $46k.
I'm a Model 3 reservation holder to CPO Model S convert.
This thread makes me nervous.
My advisor said if I am unhappy with the condition I can reject it onsite and they can help find another CPO. I'm not thrilled about buying a car I haven't seen (no pictures, just CarFax and specs).
Other than ensuring all the features are present and it's clean/no cosmetic issues, does anyone have recommendations on what would constitute a rejection? I would presume any issues I can't see on inspection would be repairable under the warranty.. Am I missing anything?

• Informative
Reactions: bhzmark
I thought the new process involved lots of pictures? I'm sure you asked but what's their response?
They initially didnt have them (it was scheduled to be a lease return). I bugged them again today and they sent some pre-detailing photos. Looks fine but need to see it in person after the detail.
I think the main challenge is the less expensive Model S CPOs are sold quickly- far quicker than they appear on the site. I got mine by calling the advisor- he initially didnt have anything I was looking for (85 with rear facing seats and AP1) but told me when to call back as he was expecting more in the system but not on the site.

I'm picking up a CPO in the new non-refurb program on Saturday (4/21).
Late 2014 Model S 85 with Autopilot 60k mi, 2 year CPO warranty. $46k.
I'm a Model 3 reservation holder to CPO Model S convert.
This thread makes me nervous.
My advisor said if I am unhappy with the condition I can reject it onsite and they can help find another CPO. I'm not thrilled about buying a car I haven't seen (no pictures, just CarFax and specs).
Other than ensuring all the features are present and it's clean/no cosmetic issues, does anyone have recommendations on what would constitute a rejection? I would presume any issues I can't see on inspection would be repairable under the warranty.. Am I missing anything?

Did you end up picking up your car last weekend? Any update on the experience and the condition of the car?

Reactions: Dp7-81
Did you end up picking up your car last weekend? Any update on the experience and the condition of the car?
It's weird. Plenty of cars being added and lot of them getting snatched up, but not a single person has reported what their delivery experience was like after the new CPO policy change. I jumped on a rare facelift CPO 2016 S60 with 22k miles and AP1 for $60k almost a month after I settled on an actual refurbished 2013. I just had the deposit transfer over. So I'm dying to know. What's the experience like for everyone taking delivery under the new change?

Reactions: Dp7-81
It's weird. Plenty of cars being added and lot of them getting snatched up, but not a single person has reported what their delivery experience was like after the new CPO policy change. I jumped on a rare facelift CPO 2016 S60 with 22k miles and AP1 for $60k almost a month after I settled on an actual refurbished 2013. I just had the deposit transfer over. So I'm dying to know. What's the experience like for everyone taking delivery under the new change?

That is because Tesla does not deliver cars that fast and a lot of the cars that will not be refurbished were just added so they will not be picked up for a few weeks.

Don't worry, the bitch'n and complain'n will happen soon enough.

• Funny
Reactions: kavyboy

The problem with the "experience" now is that it could be anything. Even if some people post that they received a car in decent shape, it means nothing because they no longer have standards to offer cars in like new condition other than the guarantee that the car works mechanically. So if the car goes forwards and backwards, you can steer, and the horn goes *Beep* *Beep* it is all good :p

I'm so bummed, I'm now in a financial position to buy my dream car - a Tesla albeit a CPO and now this. I live in St Louis and the nearest "store" is in Chicago. It's not like the wife and I can hop in our car and visit a dozen or more dealers in a day and inspect and even test drive dozens or cars before buying. I now have to plunk down a "non-refundable" deposit, hope the Tesla store sales rep or whatever they are called is able to satisfy ALL my questions/concerns before we drive 6 hours north to finally see the car in person. Sure I can walk away, but what about my $1000???

I've worked 52 years to get to this place and hoped a Tesla would be my retirement car. Maybe Tesla needs to rethink it's lack of dealership's. I can't afford a $50K+ mistake.