Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Non Tesla Charging Stations

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So prepping to get my car next weekend, excited, but confused on one aspect of charging.

I assume I should be aware of non-Tesla charging stations in case I need to use one. These of course are pay stations. I cant seem to find if I need to have an account with these companies, or you can just show up at them and somehow pay.

If I need an account, what are the recommended ones that are a MUST. I live in NJ.

• Love
Reactions: dmurphy
I live in the West Coast, so I can't speak to all the networks there, but I highly recommend that you sign up for accounts and put a credit card on file/$ on file with the networks you plan to use ahead of time, instead of wasting time on the phone or whatever when you arrive at a station.

For level 2, the networks that I'd care about on the West Coast would be ChargePoint and EVgo. You won't be able to use SAE Combo nor CHAdeMO, so I Electrify America is probably not too important. I don't see much L2 charging over there via Locate a charger | Electrify America. You might also care about https://www.blinkcharging.com/blink-map, but only for L2. They're not real good about keeping their equipment working.

I recommend you get the Plugshare app (you can also look at the web site) to see crowdsourced info about whether a particular locatoin a reliable place to charge.

If you're getting a Model 3, you probably only care about J1772/EV Plug, Tesla "destination chargers" w/their proprietary connector and Tesla Superchargers.

I live in CT. When I got my car 6 years ago I signed up with Chargepoint (prepaid $25 to get 2 cards at the time) and Blink (no fee). Never used Blink. Used Chargepoint several times,. many of which were free. Still have over $15 remaining in account after 800kWh of charging.

Notice it was mostly in the first couple of years before there were many superchargers. Now I use superchargers almost exclusively.

upload_2019-6-16_8-31-19.png

So prepping to get my car next weekend, excited, but confused on one aspect of charging.

I assume I should be aware of non-Tesla charging stations in case I need to use one. These of course are pay stations. I cant seem to find if I need to have an account with these companies, or you can just show up at them and somehow pay.

If I need an account, what are the recommended ones that are a MUST. I live in NJ.

I’m also in NJ (Morris county) and only 2 months into ownership .... but I have to say. In NJ, I don’t think you have to worry about charging networks. Like, at all.

Mileage wise, we’re not that big of a state, and NJ has a pretty good wealth of Superchargers, with more coming online every month. I’m surrounded - Parsippany, Rockaway, Boonton (shortly) all have Superchargers. ShopRite in Morris Plains has 2 Tesla destination chargers for free.

I haven’t been in any situation yet where I needed a 3rd party charger. I’ve used a Supercharger once, driving back from Rehoboth Beach DE, when I started with about 80% on the battery in a deluge of rainstorms. And even then, it was less than 2 weeks after picking up my car so I was still learning range.

So — I’d follow the recommendations to load the PlugShare app. Maybe sign up for a free ChargePoint account. I did that, the card’s in my glovebox, and I’ve never used it.

My point being - as long as you can get a decent charge at home, and aren’t crossing state lines often, there’s pretty much nowhere you can go in NJ without being in range of a Tesla Charger. It’s pretty nice. :)

Whether you charge at home all the time or plan to use supercharging on trips, downloading and getting the ChargePoint app set up on your phone is worthwhile. You need to create a virtual card (at least for iPhone app). Then tap your phone on the charger screen to enable. There are places where ChargePoint has free charging - near me, Whole Foods Parking lots etc. Might as well charge while shopping if you can. I'd set it up, find a local charger, make sure you have correct adapter, (J1772) and try it out. That way - When you really really need it, it's set up and working. It's not gonna give 200 miles of range in 50 minutes, but knowing you have a back up plan that is tested and working is nice.

Right now, there's no way to DCFC a Model 3 in the US at anything except a Supercharger. We're expecting that to change later this year, but it's not certain.

So the 3rd party networks will really only be useful to you if an AC Level 2 charger is near somewhere you spend a lot of time - work, a hotel you might stay at, etc.

I established Chargepoint and EVGo accounts, and later Semaconnect when I needed one of those quite a ways from home, but for a Model 3 today, it's probably not really necessary if you don't want to.

I live in Rhode Island, so I'm not very familiar with the state of things in New Jersey, but I suspect it's similar there. In brief, some public Level 2 EVSEs are non-networked and generally free; you just unhook the J1772 plug and plug it into your car (with Tesla's J1772 adapter, in the case of a Tesla). Others are networked and require an app, access card, or credit card to activate. The networked EVSEs are usually free in my area, but sometimes not. When they're not, you generally need to register a credit card with the network operator to pay for the charge, and the cost is usually greater than you'd pay at home, so it's seldom worth using those EVSEs. (With a Tesla, you'll have sufficient range that you seldom need an on-the-road charge, and when you do, you'll be better off with a Supercharger than a Level 2 charger. One exception might be an overnight stay at a hotel on a road trip.)

Here in Rhode Island, most of the networked public EVSEs are ChargePoint units. One station I sometimes use is an EVgo unit, but its J1772 plug requires no authentication; only its CHAdeMO and CCS plugs require an EVgo account.

Public charging infrastructure comes in both Level 2 (usually J1772, but some Tesla units exist) and DC fast charging (in CCS, CHAdeMO, and Tesla Supercharger varieties). (Some businesses will also let you plug into their outside 120v outlets, but that's almost never worth the bother.) For a Tesla Model 3, you can use either J1772 or Tesla Level 2 EVSEs, but for DC fast charging, you can use only Tesla's Superchargers -- at least for now. A Tesla adapter for CHAdeMO exists, but doesn't yet work on Model 3s. There's speculation that Tesla may release an adapter for CCS in North America, but so far that's just speculation. (Such an adapter exists in Europe, but European CCS and Tesla plugs are different from their North American equivalents.) The upshot of this is that you don't need to be concerned with CCS or CHAdeMO DC fast chargers; they're useless to you. You'll be able to use Tesla's Superchargers with minimal fuss -- just be sure that a valid credit card remains linked to your Tesla account. Public Tesla Level 2 EVSEs are generally free and non-networked. That leaves public J1772 EVSEs, some of which are networked and require authentication, as described earlier. Register with whatever network(s) exist near you, or near places you might want to visit on a road trip, and you should be able to use them.

You can investigate your area virtually via the PlugShare app. This app provides crowd-sourced data on EVSEs and DC fast chargers. Entries usually note whether a unit is networked and how much it costs. The data sometimes lags reality, but to figure out with which networks you might want to register, it should be fine. Also, note that charging network operators are increasingly setting up cross-registration agreements, so you can activate a Brand B EVSE using a card or app from Brand A. I don't happen to have a link to a document that details all these arrangements, though.

So, in brief, here's what I recommend you do:
  1. Download the PlugShare app and register with PlugShare. Peruse your area to figure out what networks operate near you or places you're likely to visit.
  2. Download the ChargePoint app and register with ChargePoint. This will likely include giving them your credit card number, although you may be able to forego that if you want to use only their free EVSEs. (I don't recall if you can skip the credit card registration.)
  3. If some other network operates in your area, download their app and register with them, too.
  4. When you get your car, be sure it includes the J1772 adapter and test it so you can be sure it works. (Getting it replaced in the first few days is likely to be easier than if you wait a month and then discover it's bad.)
  5. When convenient, test a Supercharger to be sure your car has no faults that prevent it from Supercharging, and that your credit card is registered with Tesla.
Of course, you can adjust this list to suit your needs. If some network other than ChargePoint dominates the J1772 EVSEs in your area, register with them instead of or instead of ChargePoint, for instance. I wouldn't bother with Electrify America, EVgo, or other networks that host mainly CCS and CHAdeMO fast chargers. (FWIW, I do have an EVgo card, but I've never used it.) OTOH, if and when CHAdeMO and/or CCS adapters begin working or become available for the Model 3, you might consider buying one and registering with additional DC fast charging network(s). In New Jersey and nearby states, Tesla's Supercharger network is currently superior to CHAdeMO and CCS networks; but being able to use third-party DC fast charging networks as a backup in case of unexpected events may be worthwhile. (OTOH, the cost of an adapter is significant -- it's $450 for the current CHAdeMO adapter, for instance.)

Chargepoint and EVGO are really $0.35 per minute? That sounds expensive, no?
The prices for Chargepoint chargers vary wildly between free and fairly expensive. The reason is that Chargepoint sells or leases chargers to businesses and property owners, and the latter set their own prices individually. Check the Chargepoint app to find out the price of a specific station in advance.

Generally, I'd highly recommend to get at least a Chargepoint account since they are so common (by far the largest network in the US). You find them at many retailers and they are also often used for workplace charging. Make sure you have the Tesla J1772 adapter, which should come with the car. While you'll probably not use public L2 chargers very often, sometimes they can be lifesavers.
Are we able to use their DC Fast charging if available which is only $1.50 an hour
No. Tesla currently does not offer an adapter for 3rd party DC chargers for the Model 3 (CCS or Chademo).

Unless you road trip all the time in places where there are no superchargers along the way, you'll very unlikely need to worry about it. My Tesla came with 6 months free supercharging. Used it once, just to say I did. I charge at home.