Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Non-Tesla owners take delivery of Model 3 VIN 58XX

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
On the invites spreadsheet, we haven't seen any invites received by non-owners yet
I hate to break it to you...but only a tiny fraction of all Tesla owners and all Model 3 reservation holders participate on TMC. ;)

Just because your spreadsheet doesn’t show it doesn’t mean it hasn’t happened already.

I hate to break it to you...but only a tiny fraction of all Tesla owners and all Model 3 reservation holders participate on TMC. ;)

Just because your spreadsheet doesn’t show it doesn’t mean it hasn’t happened already.
I am a non owner line waiter living in silicone valley. I have a dozen friend who are also non owner line waiters, some of them are the first 20 in line. Not me nor my friend received invitation yet.

• Informative
Reactions: iwannam3 and dm33
Neither have a few hundred thousand other “non owner” Model 3 reservation owners. The fact remains that I spoke to two non-owners who had received their Model 3’s. I saw their cars.
I don't think anyone doubts that you saw them with a Model 3. The debate is if they somehow were associated with an owner reservation. This weekend I spoke with several people who described themselves as non-owners with Model 3s on order. It took an extended conversation to figure out in both cases how they really had made their reservation through an owner associated account. In one case it was the son of a Tesla owner and they combined accounts. The second case was someone who bought the reservation, ie had the Tesla owner order the car and they did a transfer.

I don't think anyone doubts that you saw them with a Model 3. The debate is if they somehow were associated with an owner reservation. This weekend I spoke with several people who described themselves as non-owners with Model 3s on order. It took an extended conversation to figure out in both cases how they really had made their reservation through an owner associated account. In one case it was the son of a Tesla owner and they combined accounts. The second case was someone who bought the reservation, ie had the Tesla owner order the car and they did a transfer.

I agree that this is most likely what has happened. I don’t doubt the OP spoke with two owners who were driving new model 3s as there first Tesla, but I also spoke with a friend this week who said he was going to configure his model 3 that he just reserved and it took an extended conversation to deduce he had placed his reservation through a Tesla-owning friend’s account. He is the exact type that has no knowledge of how the priority works or has been discussed over the last two years and I could easily see him telling people innocently that he already configured his car and he is not a Tesla owner and has no association with Tesla as a company.

Data point: I was number five in line at Mission Viejo 3/31 in store.

To play devil's advocate (for fun): imagine there are thousands of Model 3 owner reservations in the greater Los Angeles area--so many that Model 3 delivery slots are booked solid for the next two months. Or, perhaps more truck slots to LA aren't available at a reasonable cost. If Tesla cannot possibly deliver a car to those owners for two months, what's the point in sending them an invitation to configure? Meanwhile, Tesla is making cars that it needs to sell. Where shall it send those cars?
Woodburn is twice as far from Fremont, than LA is, so I'm assuming a truck is more expensive.

I agree with @dm33. You have to specifically ask people whether,
(1) they have used an employee's account or
(2) owner's account or
(3) previous owner's account or
(4) whether they have ever owned a Tesla.

On the invites spreadsheet, we had a few instances where people selected non-owner and there was always an explanation why they received priority. Here is another example from Reddit: Got my invite to order today. Non-owner at time of reservation and a month late.

As you can see from the title, the OP thought they were a non-owner. When people pointed out that his previous ownership meant he received priority like all other owners, he downplayed it and said it might have helped a little. He got downvoted and then deleted his messages. The point is, people sometimes don't understand that they have received priority.

Last edited:
And I was surprised when two teenage girls walked by and asked if they could take a photo of the 3. They weren’t interested in any of the other Teslas that were there charging, just the 3! They clearly knew that it was something new and exciting.
On a side note, now that the 3 is out, I was curious if/when the S will be considered the Tesla for old men. :p

Last edited:
  • Funny
Reactions: BluestarE3
Time only helps everyone with respect to Model 3 reservations so I would say no need to invest too much in speculating if its a legit non owner without <insert possible affiliations> that allowed line jumping.

All we know, there could bugs and some just got "lucky". Once the flood gates open, we will definitely know!

Reactions: navguy12
On a side note, now that the 3 is out, I was curious if/when the S will be considered the Tesla for old men. :p
Model 3: "This is not your father's Tesla"...

Not-Your-Fathers-Oldsmobile-702x1024.jpg

Last edited:
Neither have a few hundred thousand other “non owner” Model 3 reservation owners. The fact remains that I spoke to two non-owners who had received their Model 3’s. I saw their cars.
One more data point. I saw a Model 3 with California plates here in Phoenix this afternoon. I pulled up next to him at a light and he said he is not an owner, an employee, or related to an owner or employee. He purchased the car from a friend (owner) and has had the car since January.

By the way, 30 minutes after that I saw two model 3's at the same intersection going in different directions. That makes 4 model 3's my wife and I have seen in Phoenix in the wild, all in the past couple of weeks. Very exciting.

@ABCTG, if you are talking about the invites spreadsheet, here is what you can do:

Step 1. Open the spreadsheet here.
Step 2. Select the header row (currently row 2)
Step 3: On the top menu click on 'Data'
Step 4: Select 'Filter Views'
Step 5: Select 'Create new temporary filter view'
Step 6: Click on the icons next to header titles to select people who have an invite date but no configuration date. See the image HERE for instructions.

Also, check out the Invites tab. There is a chart that shows why people are deferring.

• Informative
Reactions: ABCTG
Until today we had zero reported invites by non-owners on the invites spreadsheet. Within the last few hours, 67 non-owners have reported receiving invites. Here is a filtered view that shows only invites on 22 Feb or later. If some people were worried that the invites spreadsheet would somehow miss it when Tesla sends out invites because it represents only a fraction of the total reservation pool, worry not. It works fine.