Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Non tesla owners using tesla chargers.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello Tesla community.

Angela and I are both EV drivers. Nissan leaf and Smart ED. There has been the very odd occasion where either through bad planning or an outage that it would have been convenient to take on an hour or so of charge at a Tesla destination charger. Eg, winery, hotel etc. There is currently a device that allows connection from a J1772 plug to a Tesla destination charger. We are thinking of purchasing one of these devices as a backup plan. Being a courteous Canadian I would like to hear some feedback on what Tesla owners think of this. I know Tesla owners are able to utilize both CHaDemo and J1772 chargers but wondering how this sits with the Tesla community.

Teslas are not affordable for us at this time so that is not a solution.

Thanks in advance for your comments.

John and Angela.

Reactions: GSP
The electricity for the destination chargers is paid for by the property owner (Tesla only supplies the equipment and sometimes part of the installation). So the property owner is really the arbitrator in these cases. I don't see a particular problem other than capacity--after all, I charge at J1772 destination locations. I suspect that in locations where there is a high demand, the property owner can be persuaded to provide more chargers if the EV business is wanted.

I will take a small shot at this but, my thoughts are in no way what many Tesla owners may or may not feel.

I think if it were truly and emergency need (battery will be depleted as there is no where else to go (hard to prove) or a family emergency requiring longer miles than had been planned), under these circumstances I'm not sure any Tesla owner would majorly object, especially where you to 1) explain the circumstances and 2) no Tesla cars are waiting on you.

You would be taking revenue away from Tesla the company without any personal investment nor way to reimburse since they are paying for your charge, so others may find that just not acceptable/fair.

Flame away...

You would be taking revenue away from Tesla the company without any personal investment nor way to reimburse since they are paying for your charge, so others may find that just not acceptable/fair.

Tesla doesn't pay for the electricity at destination chargers. The property owners do. That's why many are limited to "patrons only"

The electricity for the destination chargers is paid for by the property owner (Tesla only supplies the equipment and sometimes part of the installation). So the property owner is really the arbitrator in these cases. I don't see a particular problem other than capacity--after all, I charge at J1772 destination locations. I suspect that in locations where there is a high demand, the property owner can be persuaded to provide more chargers if the EV business is wanted.

I think Tesla pays the bill at almost all charge locations unless some special deal was worked out where the property owner contributes. These are very rare from what I've read...

I see no problem with it, especially if you are in a bind and are courteous about it. In fact it would take a real a--hole to turn away an EV driver low on charge just because he/she doesn't drive a Tesla. It takes about $4 to fill up a LEAF. But @commasign is right that it's ultimately up to the property owner.

• Informative
Reactions: Snerruc
Yes, that is correct. These devices don't work with super chargers.

In both instances it was not a crisis but would have been extremely convenient and made for a better day. In either case I don't think the propert owner would have cared as they also had J1772 plugs. One was down and one was iced. Actually that has happened a few times.

In either case I don't think the propert owner would have cared as they also had J1772 plugs. One was down and one was iced. Actually that has happened a few times.

In that case I don't even think you need to ask. Clearly there is intent to provide energy to all EVs. Most of the places that have only Tesla EVSEs do so because Tesla provides the equipment.

P.S. Do you guys have a Model 3 reserved? Not relevant to the topic, but just curious.

I want to say it would be ok with me, but then I think about the extra 20-50,000 Chevy Bolts produced per year that will actually be able to USE destination chargers on a regular basis, and I'm not so sure.

It would be a rare occurrence for a Leaf or SmartED to need to charge -- an emergency -- and it would usually be during the day. Bolts, however, will be competing with Teslas for overnight charging.

The right answer is for there to be J1772 as well as Tesla EVSEs installed.

I carry tons of adapters, just in case I need them. So should you!

Yes, that is correct. These devices don't work with super chargers.

In both instances it was not a crisis but would have been extremely convenient and made for a better day. In either case I don't think the propert owner would have cared as they also had J1772 plugs. One was down and one was iced. Actually that has happened a few times.

As long as you are courteous and unplug and move when you are done charging (normal EV etiquette), I don't see any issues with it. Not every Tesla owner may have the same opinion when encountering a non-Tesla plugged into a Tesla destination charger they were expecting to use, though.

• Helpful
In that case I don't even think you need to ask. Clearly there is intent to provide energy to all EVs. Most of the places that have only Tesla EVSEs do so because Tesla provides the equipment.

P.S. Do you guys have a Model 3 reserved? Not relevant to the topic, but just curious.

Hi Bourns. No, we do not have a Tesla 3 reserved. We thought about it a lot but the price differential will be too much. I think the Tesla 3 will be a great car but here are a few reasons why we didn't think it would be worth it for us.

1. No service close to us (we live about 450 KM from the nearest service centre and our Nissan Dealer and Mercedes dealer is only about 55 KM

2. Price. In Canadian dollars our brand new 30 KWH leaf SV is about 29500 dollars (around 22000 American plus or minus) . A nice 5 passenger car with more than ample range for us. We seldom if ever need more than 150 KM of range and even if we ever do the CHademo network in our province is pretty good for the places we have to go. I am guessing that a Tesla 3 will come in at close to 50,000 Canadian (low 40's American) so the price delta is just not there. As far as the Bolt, we just don't like it and it is also considerable more than a leaf....according to the dealers we have talked to.

Make no mistake, we loved our TESLA test drive experiences and who knows, maybe some day but we are in our early to mid 50's and about 4 years away from being mortgage free. We will have to settle for giving you Tesla guys a thumbs up followed by lustful looks for your cars. :)

Somebody mentioned adapters, Yah, we travel with a JUICE BOX EVSE with a 50 amp RV plug as well as all the adapters when we leave town. You never know. Our main run around vehicle is actually our smart ED convertible and unlike the LEAF does not have CHaDemo fast charge so we need to plan a little with that one. Roughly 120 KM combined range on the smarty. Way fun to drive in the summer. Quick and agile little car.

Slightly off topic, this is a great forum with lots of good info. If no one minds I think we'll hang out from time to time.

Thanks all.

John and Angela

The flip side of this coin may be illustrious .... How many people on this board think its fundamentally wrong to use a Chademo adapter, or a J1772 on private property? I've used mine infrequently, but when I do I always seek approval of a representative of the site owner. Or, I read and follow any posted signs. In other words, I agree with commasign

• Love
You are welcome to use my HPWC and/or NEMA 14-50 any time. That's why it's on PlugShare. Silver Fox Farm Riding Arena | Orangeville, ON | Electric Car Charging Station | PlugShare

I like to think I'll pay it forward, as I will (and have used) others' chargers when I can't get to home, work, or a Super Charger

Thanks for the offer. We do the same and when we are in Canada we put our 10KW juicebox on plug share. It comes with us when we live in the US (about 4 months of the year. We mount it in the motorhome as that is our main charge source for our smart ED. Here are a couple shots. Works well.

30899829046_fa9c7c1344_z.jpg

30589610931_2088d5982d_h.jpg

21230577955_8035498ffa_b.jpg

Well, you are keeping up the Canadian nice thing....

Cool that you're here checking things out.

If the majority of the posters here are right about the property owner footing the cost, then I would assume the property owner would want as many patrons as he could get to offset his cost.