Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Non tesla owners using tesla chargers.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Well, you are keeping up the Canadian nice thing....

Cool that you're here checking things out.

If the majority of the posters here are right about the property owner footing the cost, then I would assume the property owner would want as many patrons as he could get to offset his cost.
Tesla supplied most destination charging hardware for free to help their customers travel, many times along with a J1772 for other EV drivers. And usually helped with the installation expenses. (I've helped a few sites get destination charging in place, so pretty sure of these facts :) )

The property owner is footing the bill for electricity.

The OP should feel welcome - but I would ask that when it's a non-Tesla driver using a Tesla-supplied system, that they at least ask their OWN manufacturer to install some additional J1772s. It helps all of us. And it's too bad that so far, Tesla seems to be the only manufacturer bearing the majority of the burden of building out the infrastructure.

Historically Tesla owners have paid about $2,000 per vehicle (included in the purchase price) to further the development of the Tesla charging network. That, among other things, is why Tesla vehicles tend to be priced more that other EV's which have no investment at all in a charging network for their vehicles.

Actually, the $2000 you/we spent per vehicle, allowed us unlimited access to the Tesla Supercharger network, The adapter (which may be available soon) mentioned previously will work on HPWC, both destination charge, and private owners, but will not work on the Supercharger network.

Reactions: diesel
... I know Tesla owners are able to utilize both CHaDemo and J1772 chargers but wondering how this sits with the Tesla community...
Public CHAdeMO and J1772 are usually installed by governments or organizations who intend for them to be used by everybody. The fact that Tesla owners use them does not entitle the general public to use Destination Chargers which were paid for indirectly by Tesla owners. That said, the network is currently underutilized so I don't mind helping out people like John and Angela. But they should put pressure on the manufacturers of their vehicles to contribute to the network instead of expecting Tesla to just give them a free ride while no other car makers do anything significant.

...Several Nissan dealers have generously allowed me to use their CHAdeMO, and have never charged. ...
Yes, but it's common practice to give Nissan drivers priority at their charging stations. The same is true with the Destination network that Tesla has paid for. If it's not needed by a Tesla driver, then perhaps non-Tesla drivers can use it. If other manufacturers were helping expand the network, I'd feel differently.

If its a HPWC that was provided by Tesla, it should only be used by Tesla's for charging. If its an emergency, sure, no big deal, but not on a regular basis.

If a property owner bought it, then of course its up to them, although presumably if they wanted to encourage other EVs they would add a J1772 or some other outlet as well.
I agree. It even says on Tesla's site for potential hosts "For out mutual customers". Tesla has very generously installed J1772 stations at many of these locations for other vehicles. If they intended for all the chargers to be for all vehicles they would have only installed J1772 chargers. The cost of the hardware and installation that Tesla paid usually significantly exceeds the cost of the electricity.

Once again it boils down to what the other carmakers are doing to contribute to the network. We all benefit from an expanded network but if John and Angela have no incentive to pressure Nissan or Smart to do anything because they can just ride on the back of Tesla, everybody will be worse off. @bonnie and @jaguar36 summed it up nicely.

Reactions: bonnie
Public CHAdeMO and J1772 are usually installed by governments or organizations who intend for them to be used by everybody. The fact that Tesla owners use them does not entitle the general public to use Destination Chargers which were paid for indirectly by Tesla owners. That said, the network is currently underutilized so I don't mind helping out people like John and Angela. But they should put pressure on the manufacturers of their vehicles to contribute to the network instead of expecting Tesla to just give them a free ride while no other car makers do anything significant.

Yes, but it's common practice to give Nissan drivers priority at their charging stations. The same is true with the Destination network that Tesla has paid for. If it's not needed by a Tesla driver, then perhaps non-Tesla drivers can use it. If other manufacturers were helping expand the network, I'd feel differently.

I agree. It even says on Tesla's site for potential hosts "For out mutual customers". Tesla has very generously installed J1772 stations at many of these locations for other vehicles. If they intended for all the chargers to be for all vehicles they would have only installed J1772 chargers. The cost of the hardware and installation that Tesla paid usually significantly exceeds the cost of the electricity.

Once again it boils down to what the other carmakers are doing to contribute to the network. We all benefit from an expanded network but if John and Angela have no incentive to pressure Nissan or Smart to do anything because they can just ride on the back of Tesla, everybody will be worse off. @bonnie and @jaguar36 summed it up nicely.

Well, Ill be sitting down with our sales manager in March. I'll follow your suggestion and suggest both verbally and by letter the installation at the Nissan dealer of a CHaDemo station. Currently it is only a level 2 charger but the good news is it is available 7/24. A well located CHademo on the property would bode well for them as they are a dual Mercedes/Nissan dealership. We bought our smart and our Leaf there. They are actually a pretty good electric vehicle centre...except for the lack of the CHademo. I'll report back to this thread after the discussion. Wish me luck.

John and Angela

Well, Ill be sitting down with our sales manager in March. I'll follow your suggestion and suggest both verbally and by letter the installation at the Nissan dealer of a CHaDemo station. Currently it is only a level 2 charger but the good news is it is available 7/24. A well located CHademo on the property would bode well for them as they are a dual Mercedes/Nissan dealership. We bought our smart and our Leaf there. They are actually a pretty good electric vehicle centre...except for the lack of the CHademo. I'll report back to this thread after the discussion. Wish me luck.

John and Angela
Maybe go a step further and suggest where it would be helpful to have a Nissan installation away from the dealership? Is there currently a travel corridor that has a shortage of charging options? (I'm going to guess yes.)

If all manufacturers followed Tesla's lead & worked at building the infrastructure (not just at their particular dealership and only for their specific customers), it helps all of us.

Reactions: KJD
Maybe go a step further and suggest where it would be helpful to have a Nissan installation away from the dealership? Is there currently a travel corridor that has a shortage of charging options? (I'm going to guess yes.)

If all manufacturers followed Tesla's lead & worked at building the infrastructure (not just at their particular dealership and only for their specific customers), it helps all of us.

Presently in that area (Kelowna) there is already a well situated Chademo station but we can always use more right. BC is actually doing good for infrastructure install. The province just finished with phase one of the first 30 Chademos with level 2 back up and approval for the next 25 was recently approved for completion by summer 2018. There are about 1100 level stations in the province. Its a work in progress.

Reactions: bonnie
Presently in that area (Kelowna) there is already a well situated Chademo station but we can always use more right. BC is actually doing good for infrastructure install. The province just finished with phase one of the first 30 Chademos with level 2 back up and approval for the next 25 was recently approved for completion by summer 2018. There are about 1100 level stations in the province. Its a work in progress.
But it would be nice if Nissan also installed more for their customers, vs relying on the government. If all the manufacturers helped out, think of the fantastic infrastructure we'd have. :)

But it would be nice if Nissan also installed more for their customers, vs relying on the government. If all the manufacturers helped out, think of the fantastic infrastructure we'd have. :)
Yeah, GM's lack of interest in charging infrastructure reminds me of the line in the Tom Lehrer song from the 60s:
Once the rockets go up, who cares where they come down? "That's not my department", says Werner von Braun.

IMO, it's up to the owner of the site. I know Tesla gives the stations out for free for the destination charging program, but the owner of the site pays for the electricity and gets to decide who parks there. I.e. It's private property.
Tesla does NOT give the Destination chargers out for free, at least in Canada.
The owner of the property pays for them as well as installation and the electricity.

The owner of the property pays for them as well as installation and the electricity.
They do in the U.S. (or at least they did. I haven't heard that this has changed). In some cases they have also contributed to the installation.

What is your source for this? The Tesla destination charging page for Canada lists hundreds of locations. I find it hard to believe that they paid for the equipment and installation themselves. Perhaps it's more likely that you are mistaken, and the equipment and installation is available to Canadian businesses just as its available to US businesses.

What is your source for this? The Tesla destination charging page for Canada lists hundreds of locations. I find it hard to believe that they paid for the equipment and installation themselves. Perhaps it's more likely that you are mistaken, and the equipment and installation is available to Canadian businesses just as its available to US businesses.
No,
I spoke with Tesla about this and they said the customer pays for the charger, installation and electricity.
Perhaps the person I spoke with could be mistaken, but i don't think so.

If Tesla determines that the property is not a good spot, then no, they're probably not going to hand out free hardware. Might be location, proximity to existing locations, or maybe the property owner wants everything done for free with no willingness to put up signage, etc. Who knows?

But I do know that Tesla DID give out the majority for free, along with a J1772 and helped with installation costs in most areas. Including some places in Canada.

No,
I spoke with Tesla about this and they said the customer pays for the charger, installation and electricity.
Who did you speak with? (Not name, but rather position.) If it wasn't someone on the Destination Charging team, then you were just hearing things second-hand.

No,
I don't think this is correct. I believe the customer is responsible for the installation, but Tesla will supply the HPWC. That was the case when we pitched Hockley Valley Resort to install a couple of HPWC. @Jgdixon can you comment?

No,
I do think so. Tesla employees have frequently given out incorrect information. In fact I think there's a thread somewhere about stupid things Tesla employees have said. Something in their training (or lack of it) prevents them from responding to a question by saying "I don't know".

I don't think this is correct. I believe the customer is responsible for the installation, but Tesla will supply the HPWC. That was the case when we pitched Hockley Valley Resort to install a couple of HPWC. @Jgdixon can you comment?
Yes it is my understanding that Tesla will provide the HPWCs for free and I have even heard of some contribution to the installation.
Tesla must approve the location though.