Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Non-Tesla Wall Charger

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
You can use your existing Chargepoint EVSE, charge your Tesla Model Y with the provided J1772 adapter. The Tesla J1772 adapter is rated for up to 80A. For Level 2 charging the Tesla Long Range Model Y and Performance Model Y are capable of charging at 240V, up to maximum of 48A.

Thank you for the information! Will continue to use my existing setup. Currently use it to charge my RAV4 Prime. Noticed that adapters for Tesla wall chargers are pricey.
I'm going to correct some terminology, not because it's terribly important, but just so you know the lingo. The thing on the wall you plug into your car isn't a "charger", the charger is inside your car. The thing on the wall is called an EVSE (Electric Vehicle Supply Equipment). In Tesla speak, it gets called a "connector". The Wall Connector is hard wired and doesn't have any adapters. The Mobile Connector plugs into different kinds of outlets, and comes with adapters for a 5-15 (standard wall plug) and a 14-50 (50a "RV" plug). 90% of people don't need anything else, but if you do, adapters for other outlets are $45 each, not really what I'd call expensive considering they have safety features like temperature monitoring and automatic adjustment of the charging rate to match the outlet.

Superchargers and other DC chargers are properly called chargers as they bypass the charger inside your car and charge the battery directly.

• Informative
Reactions: Whoze and cwerdna
The only advantages I can think of with the Tesla wall connector are:
- allows for load sharing if you have more than one
- can be restricted to prevent unauthorized use if it’s in an unsecured location
- has the handy button to open the charge port

If none of these are worth spending $500 to you then just keep the unit you have.

I'm going to correct some terminology, not because it's terribly important, but just so you know the lingo. The thing on the wall you plug into your car isn't a "charger", the charger is inside your car. The thing on the wall is called an EVSE (Electric Vehicle Supply Equipment). In Tesla speak, it gets called a "connector". The Wall Connector is hard wired and doesn't have any adapters. The Mobile Connector plugs into different kinds of outlets, and comes with adapters for a 5-15 (standard wall plug) and a 14-50 (50a "RV" plug). 90% of people don't need anything else, but if you do, adapters for other outlets are $45 each, not really what I'd call expensive considering they have safety features like temperature monitoring and automatic adjustment of the charging rate to match the outlet.

Superchargers and other DC chargers are properly called chargers as they bypass the charger inside your car and charge the battery directly.
You seem knowledgeable. So a question. If a Tesla wall connector will happily charge at 20 amp all day long but thermo-cutout above that. I suspect that it a problem with the temperature detector problem in the handle, so is it fix? I ask because I can get a cheap gen3 connector and don't mind charging at 20 amp. The wifi extender would be a huge benefit too in the dead zone.

You seem knowledgeable. So a question. If a Tesla wall connector will happily charge at 20 amp all day long but thermo-cutout above that. I suspect that it a problem with the temperature detector problem in the handle, so is it fix? I ask because I can get a cheap gen3 connector and don't mind charging at 20 amp. The wifi extender would be a huge benefit too in the dead zone.
If the handle is getting hot, you should be able to feel that if you feel the plug after the car's been charging for a few minutes. If that's the case, I would consider that wall connector to be a goner. Someone COULD possibly repair it by replacing the entire cable and handle, but that is the most expensive part of the wall connector, and it's not worth it. Even if it doesn't overheat at 20a now, there would seem to be a bad connection in the handle and it's not safe to use, IMHO.

There is a slight chance it could be a fault in the car rather than the wall connector. You'd have to try a different EVSE to gauge that possibility.

If it's not getting hot, then I would want to know more about how the error was presenting.

• Informative
Reactions: Whoze
If the handle is getting hot, you should be able to feel that if you feel the plug after the car's been charging for a few minutes. If that's the case, I would consider that wall connector to be a goner. Someone COULD possibly repair it by replacing the entire cable and handle, but that is the most expensive part of the wall connector, and it's not worth it. Even if it doesn't overheat at 20a now, there would seem to be a bad connection in the handle and it's not safe to use, IMHO.

There is a slight chance it could be a fault in the car rather than the wall connector. You'd have to try a different EVSE to gauge that possibility.

If it's not getting hot, then I would want to know more about how the error was presenting.
I doubt it is the car as it has less than 50 miles on the odometer. The handle does not feel warm. That said, I looked up the price of a replacement cable and the project would end up costing more than buying a new one! Thank you for your advice. 🙏

I doubt it is the car as it has less than 50 miles on the odometer. The handle does not feel warm. That said, I looked up the price of a replacement cable and the project would end up costing more than buying a new one! Thank you for your advice. 🙏
If the handle does not feel warm then I question whether wall connector is the problem. I don't think the wall connector is the one that's monitoring temperature at the plug, I think it is the car. I would definitely test the car with another EVSE, preferable a wall connector at the same or higher amperage. New cars have faults, too...in fact right after delivery is a common time to find problems.

• Informative
Reactions: sleepydoc and Whoze