Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Nonowners - If you don't get the full 7500 tax credit, will you get the car?

If you don't get the full tax credit will you still buy the car?

• Yes (waiting for AWD or P)

Votes: 31 33.0%
  • Yes (waiting for $35000 model)

Votes: 24 25.5%
  • No

Votes: 39 41.5%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey all, I'm curious.
I'm wondering as an investor what people think.

While I surely will most likely get the full tax credit when I order my car, I will not buy this car if I do not get 7500 back. (I also should get another 2500 from state and $500 from PG&E)

I'm wondering if people are in the same shoes/train of thought.

No option for Yes and not waiting.
Although I will be getting the car with the $7500, I made up my mind some time ago I was getting the vehicle even if I missed out on the tax credit.
On top of that, Texas has a $2500 EV incentive program that I will be missing out due to corrupt politicians because Tesla can't sell in Texas without 3rd party dealerships, and the EV incentive program specifically states it must be bought in Texas from a dealer.

Ohh well. I look around and even at the price without tax incentives, I don't see any better deal that fits me personally.

Hey all, I'm curious.
I'm wondering as an investor what people think.

While I surely will most likely get the full tax credit when I order my car, I will not buy this car if I do not get 7500 back. (I also should get another 2500 from state and $500 from PG&E)

I'm wondering if people are in the same shoes/train of thought.
If the rest of world is representative, people will still get it since there are a lot of countries without incentives, or anything that compares to a 7500$ rebate.

Wow. I’m surprised how many people are saying they will not get the car if they don’t get the full refund. I will CONSIDER getting the LR if I can get the full refund, but will definitely be getting the SR versions with some options (hopefully with a $3750 or $1875 refund) - assuming Tesla ever lets me buy an SR battery version.

Reactions: lirandy
Wow. I’m surprised how many people are saying they will not get the car if they don’t get the full refund. I will CONSIDER getting the LR if I can get the full refund, but will definitely be getting the SR versions with some options (hopefully with a $3750 or $1875 refund) - assuming Tesla ever lets me buy an SR battery version.

I'm not surprised. That $7500 tax benefit is allowing people to squeeze a Tesla into their budget. Even at $35K some folks can't afford a Tesla.

What I'm wondering is......what is the financial average of people who comment on TMC and respond to the polls. Do affluent people frequent TMC as much as those who are not as "well-to-do"? I wonder that because.....the votes might be skewed.

This is basically a toy for me. I do not NEED the car, nor do I want a beta car. I have little idea what I will do when my number is called, but, if I am not getting some kind of deal, $3750 or above and AWD, I will not be getting it.

What I'm wondering is......what is the financial average of people who comment on TMC and respond to the polls. Do affluent people frequent TMC as much as those who are not as "well-to-do"? I wonder that because.....the votes might be skewed.
Yes, and the more posts you have, the less you can afford one! >6400 posts in two years................hmmmmmmmmmmmm. :rolleyes:

• Love
Reactions: Rich966
I'm not surprised. That $7500 tax benefit is allowing people to squeeze a Tesla into their budget. Even at $35K some folks can't afford a Tesla.

I think the votes are skewed towards affluence like you mentioned. Though with the Model 3, the range of buyers have expanded on TMC of late.

I waited in line at the Factory (delivery center on Kato Road). To give everyone a frame of reference, this is not an ordinary Tesla store at the mall. Every line waiter drove their personal vehicle to the huge I took many observations of who were standing in line (age, occupation, life stage, and so forth) and type of car driven. I saw hundreds as if we were waiting in line for Space Mountain. I will list observations:

1. Majority of folks were middle aged who definitely aren't paying daycare.
2. Judging by rise of home prices consider when these folks bought their home in Fremont (including demographic factors), very likely have net worth's over a million dollars. Net worth tied up in the house they are living in, so I don't count that as having the ability to spend money.
3. I saw very few BEV cars in the lot. Say 5%. Surprised me that not every LEAF driver in Fremont came. Fremont ZIP codes boast the highest % of EV adoption in California.
4. Any Model S, (X not widespread yet) <<5%.
5. Most cars were the typical Accord/Camry, so reportedly this was a car for the masses. It felt like the (several) neighborhood came out.
6. It seemed that everyone had the full $10,000 ITC + CA rebate in mind, or at least got educated in line.
7. Everybody and their mother seemed to be at the event. Everyone being one willing to take a day off with their spouse to hang out for a couple of hours. Their mother being, I bet I saw my in-laws' coworkers there. I asked her if she new of the event, she knew nothing about it. Tesla is "a niche" market.
8. The married couple ahead of me put two reservations with the just in case. I put in two with my spouse, and was about to reserve four (sigh... madness)

Maybe folks thought it was a Tesla sale at the Factory Store.

--SoundDaTrumpet

Last edited:
5. Most cars were the typical Accord/Camry, so reportedly this was a car for the masses. It felt like the (several) neighborhood came out.

As long as the cars looked clean, that's not an indicator of what car they can afford.

My frugal, practical wife who would 'NEVER DREAM' of owning a car as expensive as the X said it was "worth every penny".

This is coming from a 2006 Honda Accord.

Nope, not from tesla anyway. I'll buy one 6 months old that someone else already took the credit on. A reasonable used sale, not these jacko's on Craigslist trying to sell the cars for $60k and they keep the credit and play stupid about not being able to "transfer" it to you, which they can't. So if they managed to get someone gullible enough they'd make full pop ans some and $7500. Pretty good return on something that wasn't supposed to be sold over list, which technically they are still abiding by.

I look at it like this. Car is $58k out the door with my previously canceled spec. I expect to be able to pick one up for about $40k next year. About the time my reserved car would have been delivered, July + 2019. I however would love to have a lower range battery as I probably don't have a need for 100 more miles the way I currently drive. That car in my spec (which was also previously canceled) would have been $42k out the door. with a delivery time of Oct+ 2019. I should be able to pick that car up for about $28kish first part of 2020 if I don't drive over to Cali and buy one before then. I most likely would have still gotten something like $1k to $2k in rebates as the fed incentive rolled off on these deliveries, but is it really worth the $6k-$9k in tax? For me no.

Yes I am getting a used car and it's taking me longer to get it. But I have 2 electrics and an ICE (all paid for) now so I'm not in a hurry. The M3 went from a "I gotta have" to "yea probably someday" after 2.5 years +1 or more years of waiting. I placed my orders 3 days after orders went live, canceled them after the last "Delivery slipped another year" and I'm in AZ.

There is currently over a dozen "M3!!! buy now!! Get it next week!!" $55k-$65k Model 3 craigslist ads in Phoenix alone, and they're stacking up. When these start falling to reasonable prices, i.e. I'm not paying someone to take the fed rebate for me and I pay full pop, I'll pick one up.

Reactions: SoundDaTrumpet

I’m guessing the majority of people who have been on here regularly have $$$$. Most probably already have Teslas. That’s why I’m a bit surprised.

You do all realize that the tax credit is not binary and has a phase out right?

Also curious what also beats the Model 3 at straight 35K with no tax credit?
That's why I'm unsure of what I'll do if missing the window on the full credit.

Really, a RWD LR w/ PUP w/ tax credit is already outside my comfort zone (I've never paid more than $300/mo for a car payment before), but we can afford it. If money were no object, of course everyone would get a P AWD model with all bells and whistles, but I already came to terms with that being out of my range years ago, and I can get by with a SR model, but I don't necessarily want to wait another year to get it. The features locked up in the PUP bundle that I want are worth having to me, and a SR w/ PUP would be fine, but again, so far away it seems ...

Most likely will just bite the bullet and configure a LR RWD w/ PUP and EAP (but likely not FSD) when it comes. At least with all the delays my down payment has been growing (been setting aside "car payments" for 2 years now) so that helps us stretch with or without the credit for the configuration we'd like (versus if we'd not been doing so and living as if we had such a car payment).

Exactly what I am thinking