Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Norcal Bay Area Model 3 Tint/PPF Group Buy

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

dailo

Jul 22, 2017
Bay Area
Inspired by the Socal Group buy, we were able to work out some package deals with Wheel Xperts based out of San Jose. All of the details are at the site below and there is a FAQ that I will try to keep updated as new questions come in. Let me know what you guys think, but I think the prices are pretty good compared to the other places I've reached out to.

Tesla Group Buy

I think full front PPF + Ceramic pro might be better value. Only reason why I would consider PPF on the whole car would be to make it easier to clean, which Ceramic pro will do also and give it that nice shine.

PPF on doors would help prevent potential door marks though, so that peace of mind might be worth it.

I think full front PPF + Ceramic pro might be better value. Only reason why I would consider PPF on the whole car would be to make it easier to clean, which Ceramic pro will do also and give it that nice shine.

PPF on doors would help prevent potential door marks though, so that peace of mind might be worth it.

Agreed ... doors might be worth it, esp if you have ocd like I do :) Is there an a la carte pricing (similar to what the SoCal folks have)?

Thanks for doing this!!!

Most of the a la carte items are already there, but if there is anything you want you can just call Alex and he'll work something with you. Might be hard to get ahold of him but leave him a message if you get the voicemail. My motivation for this was to avoid driving to LA for the Socal group buy :) . Hope this helps everyone else out. Still patiently waiting for someone to call me to confirm my delivery date...

FYI I stopped by WheelXperts and frankly came away unimpressed. I looked over a black Model 3 that they had just finished applying Xpel Stealth on.l and was waiting for customer pickup. These were my notes:
- The biggest flaw I saw was a tear on the rear bumper piece.
- There were quite a few bubbles and squeegee marks. I don’t know if this is normal for a newly applied wrap though and it just needed time to settle?
- They only wrapped 3/4 of the side mirrors, leaving the part facing the inside bare.
- The shop owner remarked that the only part they remove when installing the film is the side camera. I asked because the edge wrapping around the headlights/taillights was not as clean as I would’ve liked.
- I’m not sure if this is true for all installers, but it didn’t wrap around the backup sensors that cleanly, so you could clearly tell that there’s a wrap on it.
- Minor thing, but instead of taking off the T emblems, wrapping under, and re-applying, they just cut around it. This created a visible transition between the film and a tiny sliver of hood next to the emblem.
- They do comparatively less than the higher priced places, specifically just a wash and clay bar.

On tints, I was mainly interested in 3M Crystalline. They incorrectly told me what %’s were available, which made me believe they have very little experience with that particular film. But he wasn’t even that well versed in the Xpel tint film they normally use (Xpel Prime XR Plus). However, the tint work I was able to inspect seemed ok.

I don’t mean to sound too harsh. They were very nice, and offered an extremely competitive price (1/2 that of high end shops). I also want to note that I’ve yet to do an in-perso inspection of any other shop. My next step is to stop by OCDetailing soon for a comparison. Will report back when I do.

Most of the a la carte items are already there, but if there is anything you want you can just call Alex and he'll work something with you. Might be hard to get ahold of him but leave him a message if you get the voicemail. My motivation for this was to avoid driving to LA for the Socal group buy :) . Hope this helps everyone else out. Still patiently waiting for someone to call me to confirm my delivery date...

Ok ... will call Alex (don't see an add-on price for doors)

FYI I stopped by WheelXperts and frankly came away unimpressed. I looked over a black Model 3 that they had just finished applying Xpel Stealth on.l and was waiting for customer pickup. These were my notes:
- The biggest flaw I saw was a tear on the rear bumper piece.
- There were quite a few bubbles and squeegee marks. I don’t know if this is normal for a newly applied wrap though and it just needed time to settle?
- They only wrapped 3/4 of the side mirrors, leaving the part facing the inside bare.
- The shop owner remarked that the only part they remove when installing the film is the side camera. I asked because the edge wrapping around the headlights/taillights was not as clean as I would’ve liked.
- I’m not sure if this is true for all installers, but it didn’t wrap around the backup sensors that cleanly, so you could clearly tell that there’s a wrap on it.
- Minor thing, but instead of taking off the T emblems, wrapping under, and re-applying, they just cut around it. This created a visible transition between the film and a tiny sliver of hood next to the emblem.
- They do comparatively less than the higher priced places, specifically just a wash and clay bar.

On tints, I was mainly interested in 3M Crystalline. They incorrectly told me what %’s were available, which made me believe they have very little experience with that particular film. But he wasn’t even that well versed in the Xpel tint film they normally use (Xpel Prime XR Plus). However, the tint work I was able to inspect seemed ok.

I don’t mean to sound too harsh. They were very nice, and offered an extremely competitive price (1/2 that of high end shops). I also want to note that I’ve yet to do an in-perso inspection of any other shop. My next step is to stop by OCDetailing soon for a comparison. Will report back when I do.

Thanks for the info. I'll relay the feedback to Alex and see if he has anything to add. I'll have to see how bad it looks in person, but for half the price I might be okay with it.

• Funny
Reactions: Shygar
Comments from Eclipse3EB is informative, hope more ppl can chime in. Honestly, I called around shops in Bay Area and it’s hard to find a place that does everything in one shot. (PPF/tint/chrome delete/ceramic coating) Elite Auto Films has reasonable price for PPF and ceramic coating but does not do one piece rear window tint, and OCDetailing is way out of my budget. I’m basically taking my car straight to PPF after delivery so right now WheelXpert is the most ideal choice for the price. I will be thankful if more ppl can share their experience.

Agreed, I don't want to deal with any tears or marks in my PPF, Other shop I had quoted was Stealth Wraps in Belmont. They quoted 1650 for a full front wrap with Xpel Ultimate plus, and that was the price for all wrapped edges.

I know that the bubbles are supposed to go away with some heat and perhaps a syringe to remove any leftover bubbles. Not sure about squeegee marks.

I spoke with Alex about this and he said that the car wasn't being delivered yet, so the bubbling, marks etc is normal. Prior to delivery a final walkthrough is done to make sure all of that is cleaned up and a walk through will be done with the owner as well. He mentioned emblems is a customer choice and the shop has no problem removing the emblems, but would recommend purchasing a new one to replace. He seems like a reasonable guy, just ask them these questions when calling in and I'm sure he can explain the process.

I spoke with Alex about this and he said that the car wasn't being delivered yet, so the bubbling, marks etc is normal. Prior to delivery a final walkthrough is done to make sure all of that is cleaned up and a walk through will be done with the owner as well. He mentioned emblems is a customer choice and the shop has no problem removing the emblems, but would recommend purchasing a new one to replace. He seems like a reasonable guy, just ask them these questions when calling in and I'm sure he can explain the process.

Good to know ...

So weird when people post their "findings" without getting the complete picture. Either that, or they have an axe to grind (maybe a competitor or a friend of one)

Just wondering, $650 for full tint - windshield and front roof panel seems high. Is the material top of the line? last I got a car tinted all around it was only $400...I get that the back M3 window is unique, so is that driving the cost? thanks, will likely jump in.