Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Norcal heat wave

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I actually saw some 5000+ alone in some areas (that red triangle). Maybe it was not as bad, what I find it strange that I don't see on the PG&E map, any labeled as a PSPS event (purple marker).

Saw same thing. Some areas shut down earlier than us (and suspect transformer related but I heard transformer problems on Labor Day) but our area didn’t happen until the demand was precariously high. Also read/heard that PG&E contacted areas to shut down for a period yesterday. Not based on zip code or block or circuit but by usage.

My system is in Self-Powered mode and I am enrolled.

In preparation for the event, the system will start a "Preparing for the event" mode. This will shift from powering the home from the Powerwalls to letting all of the solar production charge the Powerwalls. So, you are running the AC off the grid. As a result, my Powerwalls were at 100% prior to the event. Once you get into the event, my 2 Powerwalls discharged at 9.8 kW until they hit my set reserve amount.

So were you paying a peak rate for the grid to run your ACs amounting to more than you were getting from the VPP plan?

A typical reasonably modern/efficient 4 ton AC unit uses 3-4kw when it’s running. An older one more like 5-6kw.

3 powerwalls is ~40kwh if you run them from 100% full to empty.

Easier than you think to chew that up overnight when it’s this hot.

My 5 ton 10 SEER AC unit installed in 1998 (common area...bedrooms is a 4 ton unit) uses 4900 watts when it's 110F outside and about 4600 watts when it's 100F outside. The blower uses 790 watts.

The 21.5 SEER mini split I'm about to install should use half the power for the same rate of cooling.

Reactions: KJD and Big Earl
So were you paying a peak rate for the grid to run your ACs amounting to more than you were getting from the VPP plan?
That would probably be very rare unless you used enough AC that absent the VPP event you would have depleted the powerwall and been drawing peak power anyway or the duration of the event and/or export limits prohibits you have discharging the powerwall to the reserve during the event hours. Otherwise, you are making up the peak draw with the energy you are sending back to the grid during the event except for the NBCs. On top of that unless you have a very high baseline (i.e. regularly use export everything) you get the $2/kWh credit which quickly makes up for the NBCs.

That would probably be very rare unless you used enough AC that absent the VPP event you would have depleted the powerwall and been drawing peak power anyway or the duration of the event and/or export limits prohibits you have discharging the powerwall to the reserve during the event hours. Otherwise, you are making up the peak draw with the energy you are sending back to the grid during the event except for the NBCs. On top of that unless you have a very high baseline (i.e. regularly use export everything) you get the $2/kWh credit which quickly makes up for the NBCs.
Since we are potentially pulling power from the grid during the event and before the event, does this mean the net event credit is:
(# of kWh sent * $2) - ((# of kWh used during event * peak rate) + (# of kWh used during pre-event * pre-event rate(s))
ignoring NBCs and assuming the event is during peak rate times?

Last edited:
I thought those Tesla superchargers had their own fusion reactor.

Ok, so there are some EVs charging on their trip. What % of the million EVs do you think were charging during Peak? What % of those were sending power back to the grid from their Solar at home? At the moment EVs are not the problem
68315374.jpg

Since we are potentially pulling power from the grid during the event and before the event, does this mean the net event credit is:
(# of kWh sent * $2) - ((# of kWh used during event * peak rate) + (# of kWh used during pre-event * pre-event rate(s))
It's a bit more complex as the $2/kWh compensation is based on the amount of PW energy discharged during the event (all that power doesn't necessarily make it to the grid) relative to your baseline energy discharge on previous non-event days whereas your normal energy charges/credits are relative to the power flow to/from the grid.

That is my understanding, but you also get NEM credit for the export I believe. Plus when AC is running what you can export is lower, so net on these really hot days is probably very little. Now if you always have a ton of NEM credit left over anyways I guess it doesn't matter, but I think this month I may end up debiting from my NEM balance because of all the peak usage.

As others have mentioned, the $2 is credited based on discharge above your baseline (average over previous non-event days during the same period).

Regular billing/credits still apply, though, so you will actually gain some extra credit there if you would have discharged during at non-peak rate. Your NEM credits during the event are: (#of kWh exported * peak_rate). This means that if you join the event and discharge at least as much as you would have to cover your usage, you are at the very least breaking even (ignoring NBCs). Any extra export over and above what you would have normally discharged nets you both more NEM credits (at peak rate) and the $2/kWh. If you would have discharged outside of peak, you would also get a slight extra credit because you are now discharging at peak instead.

As others have mentioned, the $2 is credited based on discharge above your baseline (average over previous non-event days during the same period).

Regular billing/credits still apply, though, so you will actually gain some extra credit there if you would have discharged during at non-peak rate. Your NEM credits during the event are: (#of kWh exported * peak_rate). This means that if you join the event and discharge at least as much as you would have to cover your usage, you are at the very least breaking even (ignoring NBCs). Any extra export over and above what you would have normally discharged nets you both more NEM credits (at peak rate) and the $2/kWh. If you would have discharged outside of peak, you would also get a slight extra credit because you are now discharging at peak instead.
I think come March 2023 when Tesla sends out checks that a lot of people are going to be disappointed and the biggest people that will be disappointed will be the ones that have 0 kWh Peak imports. The Export Everything group might be pleasantly surprised if their discharge is complete by 7:00pm.

I went through the pain of have been pulling my 5min daily data from the Tesla app and here is what I am calculating so far.
Event DayEvent DatePeriodHoursPW DischargePW BaselineILRVPP Comp
Wed8/176:00-9:00pm3.022.95.717.2$34.40
Wed8/315:00-8:00pm3.023.25.717.5$35.00
Thu9/16:00-7:00pm1.08.42.26.2$12.40
Sat9/36:00-8:00pm2.017.81.516.3$32.60
Sun9/45:00-8:00pm3.023.73.919.8$39.54
Mon/Holiday9/56:00-9:00pm3.024.71.523.2$46.40
Tue9/66:00-9:00pm3.019.42.816.6$33.20
Wed9/76:00-9:00pm3.023.0 - estimate2.820.2$40.40
Total21.0163.1137.0$273.94

I think that my baseline is much lower than most people will have as I was not aggressively using my Powerwalls during the Peak period as a net generator. I had them setup up originally to discharge from 6:30-9:00pm with a reserve level of 80%. After better understanding the program compensation I changed to 4:00-7:00pm to avoid discharging during most of the event hours to lower my baseline.

I think come March 2023 when Tesla sends out checks that a lot of people are going to be disappointed and the biggest people that will be disappointed will be the ones that have 0 kWh Peak imports. The Export Everything group might be pleasantly surprised if their discharge is complete by 7:00pm.

I went through the pain of have been pulling my 5min daily data from the Tesla app and here is what I am calculating so far.
Event DayEvent DatePeriodHoursPW DischargePW BaselineILRVPP Comp
Wed8/176:00-9:00pm3.022.95.717.2$34.40
Wed8/315:00-8:00pm3.023.25.717.5$35.00
Thu9/16:00-7:00pm1.08.42.26.2$12.40
Sat9/36:00-8:00pm2.017.81.516.3$32.60
Sun9/45:00-8:00pm3.023.73.919.8$39.54
Mon/Holiday9/56:00-9:00pm3.024.71.523.2$46.40
Tue9/66:00-9:00pm3.019.42.816.6$33.20
Wed9/76:00-9:00pm3.023.0 - estimate2.820.2$40.40
Total21.0163.1137.0$273.94

I think that my baseline is much lower than most people will have as I was not aggressively using my Powerwalls during the Peak period as a net generator. I had them setup up originally to discharge from 6:30-9:00pm with a reserve level of 80%. After better understanding the program compensation I changed to 4:00-7:00pm to avoid discharging during most of the event hours to lower my baseline.
How did you calculate your baseline? I am usually in TOU mode and my PW will discharge enough to power my home since I still have solar available until maybe 7PM. Does the discharge for that count also? My baseline might end up being pretty high especially when the AC is running a lot.

How did you calculate your baseline? I am usually in TOU mode and my PW will discharge enough to power my home since I still have solar available until maybe 7PM. Does the discharge for that count also? My baseline might end up being pretty high especially when the AC is running a lot.
I calculated it very painfully my downloading daily data from the Tesla app for 8/16 to 9/6, splitting the timestamp into day and hour cells, and using a spreadsheet with "sumif" functions multiplied by 5/60 to calculate the baseline kWh data for selected baseline days and hours based on manually created days. For instance this is a table for 8/3/22 with all of the data pulled from the another sheet with all of the downloaded data.
DayDate171819kWh
VPPWed2022-08-317.237.239.0223.48
1Tue2022-08-302.311.400.003.71
2Mon2022-08-292.360.000.002.36
3Fri2022-08-263.880.930.004.80
4Thu2022-08-252.201.600.003.80
5Wed2022-08-242.830.980.003.81
6Tue2022-08-232.03-0.080.001.94
7Mon2022-08-22-0.18-0.030.00-0.21
8Fri2022-08-193.410.000.003.41
9Thu2022-08-181.890.030.001.92
10Tue2022-08-161.335.000.056.38
Average2.200.980.013.19
ILR20.29

I could post my spreadsheet, but my data is useless for anyone but myself.

That’s not true, was driving home from Tahoe yesterday and I noticed plenty of Tesla’s charging at superchargers.
The supercharger at the Raleys in Loomis ca was full

I also noticed the weigh station in truckee installed a few ev chargers in their parking lot, and I saw some cars plugged in. I’m assuming they are employee vehicles, so if they are plugged in charging at work, there’s gotta be more people who are plugged in charging at work during the daytime/evening hours.

Regarding charging during the day - more specifically during hours of solar production - CAISO publishes some very interesting curtailment statistics for wind and solar. Charging during the day can significantly benefit the grid, particularly during spring.

California ISO - Managing Oversupply

You can drill down to daily curtailment reports, which is pretty cool. My provider doesn't offer stats anywhere near this informative.

CAISO Curtailment 2 yrs.PNG

CAISO Curtailment all time.PNG

Each 100,000 MWh could enable 300 million EV miles at 3 miles per kWh. This April saw curtailment of almost 600,000 MWh. Smart workplace charging is relatively inexpensive and could be hugely beneficial.

Last edited:
Reactions: iPlug and AMPd
Im not sure what triggers invitations, but tesla has "invited" me like 4 times already, and I am in SCE territory in southern california. I have said this in a few threads before, but im not interested in the slightest, and frankly am somewhat annoyed they keep sending out invitations via email, text message etc.

My PV doesnt cover my own home usage right now, and running my AC during the day and keeping the house set at 81 is still enough of a drain to not allow my powerwalls to ever reach 100% charge, with house load being > than PV production when the AC is on.
If you keep getting invite to join why don't you just join then turn it off in the settings after it is approved. I don't think you will even get event notice if you toggle it off in the settings.

Does same period mean same time? If so, then I am very good. I never send power back to the grid after 6PM. In fact, we hardly send any after 4 PM this time of year since we have shading from the hills to the West.

Does same period mean same time? If so, then I am very good. I never send power back to the grid after 6PM. In fact, we hardly send any after 4 PM this time of year since we have shading from the hills to the West.
Yes. If the event is 6-9pm, your baseline is the average of your discharge from 6-9pm on the 10 previous non-event weekdays (or 4 previous non-event weekend days for weekend/holiday events). Again, though, it’s power exported from the Powerwall that counts, not power sent back to the grid (even if you used it yourself).