Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Norcal heat wave

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
With a large 99.9% electric house, just impossible to do during the winter. Even if I had unlimited money, it would still take something that would never be allowed in a residential home. But at least for most of the year, I am off grid. Still waiting for my latest true up, been 3 months now. Weird

You could drive to an EV charger and come home with enough electricity to heat your home and offset the lower Wintertime solar production.

Which is it? You can't take it with you, might as well spend money being the first to make it happen?

Commercial 277/480 bi-directional chargers are over $11k, $8k seems pretty reasonable to me, and you get a PV inverter out of the deal. As this tech matures there will be more options and competition will drive down prices.

That Leaf you'd get like $10k back between fed and state, maybe $200 per month if you participate in a V2G program (when available)

I kind of think he needs a Hummer EV.

Reactions: h2ofun
Which is it? You can't take it with you, might as well spend money being the first to make it happen?

Commercial 277/480 bi-directional chargers are over $11k, $8k seems pretty reasonable to me, and you get a PV inverter out of the deal. As this tech matures there will be more options and competition will drive down prices.

That Leaf you'd get like $10k back between fed and state, maybe $200 per month if you participate in a V2G program (when available)
True. But at 6'5, I sat in a leaf and basically did not fit worth beans. The interior of most of these EV's are junk, since they had to spend the money on the batteries. Just kills me to have 5 EV charge stalls doing nothing, and sending TONS of solar back to PGE that I will get nothing for. But, I never say never. Maybe someone would love to use my house as a test model, its pretty unique. :)

True. But at 6'5, I sat in a leaf and basically did not fit worth beans. The interior of most of these EV's are junk, since they had to spend the money on the batteries. Just kills me to have 5 EV charge stalls doing nothing, and sending TONS of solar back to PGE that I will get nothing for. But, I never say never. Maybe someone would love to use my house as a test model, its pretty unique. :)
I am 6'5 as well so I know what you mean. Basically all other manufacturers are planning bi-directional capability, so you need to look forward to the value. Maybe its the ID4 that is more your speed? Or you can just keep that crappy Camry forever since it will probably never die lol.

• Funny
Reactions: BGbreeder
I am 6'5 as well so I know what you mean. Basically all other manufacturers are planning bi-directional capability, so you need to look forward to the value. Maybe its the ID4 that is more your speed? Or you can just keep that crappy Camry forever since it will probably never die lol.
Actually got rid of the maxima. It needed a bunch of work so I gave it to a kid to fix up. And since it did not have air bags, was not safe.
I thought I read some folks said the ID4 did not have much head room?

Oh well, just like the Ford CEO has stated, he does believe there ever maybe a time where some ICE cars are needed, like long haul vehicles.. And the honda top person
said he does not believe batteries, in their existing form, will be the future.

Actually got rid of the maxima. It needed a bunch of work so I gave it to a kid to fix up. And since it did not have air bags, was not safe.

Oh well, just like the Ford CEO has stated, he does believe there ever maybe a time where some ICE cars are needed, like long haul vehicles.. And the honda top person

TBH I'm amazed your VG30E could pass smog/emissions in California for 20 years.

Yet acquiring the coding expertise of Musk’s Tesla is anything but easy for legacy carmakers. Disappointing demand for VW’s new range of ID electric vehicles due to its clunky IT, together with rollout delays at the Cariad software subsidiary, were key reasons the Porsche and Piëch families sacked CEO Herbert Diess in July.

• Informative
Reactions: aesculus

Honda guy probably thinks Hydrogen is the future. In Japan the Government gave the car companies a ton of money to chase Hydrogen. Then someone moved the Cheese.

I'm very impressed with the SW in my EV6. I have not been in a newer ICE to see their SW features. However a unique aspect of EVs is the regenerative braking. The EV6 has more than 6 options to control this including one that matched Regen to the road you are on based upon the gps. It does things like let you coast with no regen on flat stretches, increases regen downhill to keep you at speed limit or set speed, apply increased regen when car in front of you is slowing. Has one mode where you can basically drive with one pedal so that regen will eventually stop you just by taking foot off accelerator.

I have a 1980 Toyota pickup that is always well below the limits when I bring it in for smog testing. I keep it tuned in good running condition. The only time if failed was for a bad gas cap gasket.
You are fortunate. Older vehicles are subject to much simpler testing. When our family shop used to do testing, we replaced a lot of the gas cap gaskets.

Reactions: RKCRLR
You are fortunate. Older vehicles are subject to much simpler testing. When our family shop used to do testing, we replaced a lot of the gas cap gaskets.
Actually, newer vehicles now have the simplest testing. They just plug the shop's smog computer into the OBD II port and see if everything is OK. No treadmill, exhaust sniffer, etc. But it can be a PITA to get the car's computer to say it is ready for testing if the battery has gone dead. I've burned through half a tank of gas a couple of times in my one ton truck just to get the computer to say it is ready for testing.

Actually, newer vehicles now have the simplest testing. They just plug the shop's smog computer into the OBD II port and see if everything is OK. No treadmill, exhaust sniffer, etc. But it can be a PITA to get the car's computer to say it is ready for testing if the battery has gone dead. I've burned through half a tank of gas a couple of times in my one ton truck just to get the computer to say it is ready for testing.
Simplest from tech setup because of the computer, but not with respect to the readings they are taking. We used to stick one probe up the exhaust gas. That was the only metric we cared about.

To be effective, this requires the car’s computer to tell the truth, *cough* Dieselgate. Most OBD2 monitoring also can’t detect some problems, like an engine that burns oil.

Last edited:
To be effective, this requires the car’s computer to tell the truth, *cough* Dieselgate. Most OBD2 monitoring also can’t detect some problems, like an engine that burns oil.
Good point. There are only a few manufacturers of the test systems used in most smog check places. Figure out how they operate, and you can beat the system. As in the DieselGate

Reactions: Big Earl