Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

North London decent car wash

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Jcc60

Mar 26, 2020
London
Hi guys,
Just got a M3!
I did some reading online about how people recommend washing teslas and was a little intimidated by how difficult it seems to do a good job. I also don't have access to a hose as I only have street parking.
With that in mind, does anyone have any recommendations for a decent and sensibly priced car wash in North London area?
thnx
Jonny

What’s the problem with using a few buckets of warm water and a sponge? First one to rinse the worst of the dirt off, second with some shampoo in to get the rest off, third - clean water to rinse off the excess shampoo. If you are fussy dry off with a micro fibre cloth. Probably takes less time than the journey too and from the car wash and you can be proud you did it yourself.

This is just a matter of organisation. The technology behind 'the hose' does allow one to run them from inside a house to outside. Health and safety demands the co-operation of a partner sitting in an upstairs window (2 metres away) with a bullhorn giving encouraging advice such as "Oi, you, mind that hose!" or "You missed a spot, Sweetie." or "Go-on..Gi' it some clog ya lazy Ijit!" and "Elbow,Man! Polish!" "Wax on. Wax off".
I always wash my own but that's just 'cos I don't like spending money...

What’s the problem with using a few buckets of warm water and a sponge? First one to rinse the worst of the dirt off, second with some shampoo in to get the rest off, third - clean water to rinse off the excess shampoo. If you are fussy dry off with a micro fibre cloth. Probably takes less time than the journey too and from the car wash and you can be proud you did it yourself.

I'm happy to home wash for now. But I won't have time to this after lockdown

One possibility is to buy a good quality wash mitt and bucket. When using public hand car wash, instruct them to use fresh water and shampoo in your own bucket, and use your own wash mitt. Use a good quality drying towel too. You are only using their labour! After all that you may as well wash the car yourself!

_________

What's wrong with buckets etc? Two things, my 2-yr old M3 and I are both 2 years older. I am 71 and in need of a total knee replacement so I am unable to wash my car these days and it is very dusty. Anyone in the Northern Philly suburbs use a local car wash? Glenside, Abington areas best for me. I’ve hand washed my car for two years but she needs more love than I can give just now.

_________

What's wrong with buckets etc? Two things, my 2-yr old M3 and I are both 2 years older. I am 71 and in need of a total knee replacement so I am unable to wash my car these days and it is very dusty. Anyone in the Northern Philly suburbs use a local car wash? Glenside, Abington areas best for me. I’ve hand washed my car for two years but she needs more love than I can give just now.

I'm the same age - knees are ok but back's shot (bending really hurts). But as my 98yr old mum's doc used to tell her - 'pain is god's way of reminding you you're still alive' (she actually thought that was funny!).. I usually use 2 buckets but then do run the hose out for a final rinse....

If I can be bothered and have 3 or 4 hours to spare, I’ll use the long, lingering, neighbour annoying
Karcher power rinse to blow the worst of the crap off, followed by a good soak in snow foam. 10 minutes later, just as the neighbours have been lulled into a false sense of security and think it safe to serve up Sunday lunch, round two of the power rinse saga commences. This is followed up by a hand wash utilising the two bucket method and then, yet another power rinse. A final rinse with a slow running hose to avoid water spots, dry with microfibre towels, and then follow up with a couple of coats of good wax and an appointment with a chiropractor.

The rest of the time I drop it off at Canary Wharf with these guys, who do a bloody decent job for less money than it costs to get the knots twisted out of my spine.

Wharfside Car Services Canary Wharf London - We Care For Your Vehicle

• Funny
Reactions: CMc1
I've no access to a hose either, but have popped outside with 2 buckets of water and 2 sponges a couple of times now. What I noticed after the last time I got it new and shiny looking was that after a day or two just sitting in the street it had become encrusted in a thick layer of dust. Once I noticed the dust on my car I started noticing it on all the cars in the area. I'm assuming it is the same dust that I'm constantly having to wipe off my computer monitor and all the other dust attracting surfaces inside. Don't know if it is from all the building work, or some kind of pollution, or what, but it does make me wonder what the point of cleaning the car is now.