Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Not charging in cold weather

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My 2016 90 S with 44K miles is not charging at all. Outside temp is 10 degrees F I have it plugged into a 40 amp 240 volt destination charger. I called Tesla service and they said turn on the heat and let the car warm up. I did. For 4 hours the interior temp was at 90 F. Nothing. There are enough amps at the charger to heat the battery pack because once the car was warm the amp draw came down to 15/30 It seems that the Battery Management System (BMS) is not functioning because if it were it would have warmed the battery sufficiently to allow it to accept a charge. It has now been connected to the charger overnight and the battery has lost 2 miles of range while being plugged in. Any suggestions?

That's odd, did you have range mode on by chance? If so the battery might be very cold since range mode reduces cooling.

What color is the charge port when you plug it in?

Try the following:
Disconnect, reboot and reconnect. If you have no warning it should be working.

Reactions: MorrisonHiker
I find it odd that the car does not display a specific warning message when the battery heater fails, but we've seen that sometimes on this forum. That sounds exactly like what your issue is. It can heat up the interior of the car, because that is a separate heater unit.

When it is below approximately freezing point (32F), the car will not allow the battery to charge at all to avoid damaging it. So it needs to run the battery heater from the external supply (and/or extra battery energy) to warm the pack up enough to begin charging. At 10 degrees, that would not surprise me if that takes 20 or 30 minutes or so, but you said you've had it going 2+ hours, so it definitely should have warmed up enough to show some charging by then.

So I would say that is worth putting in a service request.

We had a similar issue on our AWD Model 3 yesterday. For some reason, it would only charge at 5 amps. @Carmino , do you remember what the value was for amps when you were having problems? I found several other posts over the past couple of years that mentioned 5 amps as well.

We rebooted the car and then it was able to charge at 48 amps again.

I pulled my frunk, pump number 2 was bad. That will stop system from warming coolant. There r 2 pumps, both have to work to warm coolant, and the heater. I bought digital thermometer to test coolant temperatures. I'm back up to 60kw from 30.
There is really great YouTube video on coolant system. Guy in Estonia made it with pictures, great video. I downloaded it, printed it. My car is out of warranty, so I try to it myself.

I’m following up on my original post. Yobigd20 got it right. I took it in and they replaced both pumps. Car was out of warranty when they did it but it was in warranty when I called it in so they covered it and it didn’t cost me anything.

I will say there was no indication of any kind to show that the pumps were bad. That’s a little troubling- it would be nice to know before you’re stuck in a bad situation as I was .