Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Not getting paint protection film for your Model 3?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I wasn't going to do any covering, just ceramic, because Of xoet
Within 3 days, big chip bottom of the bumper.
Getting the bumper and full hood Xpel next week.
I did the ceramic myself using feynlab Ceramic.
It was quite easy, and the paint washing great shape already. I only had to buff one panel that had some swirls marks.
It came out quite nice.
20180418_171945.jpg
20180418_171926.jpg

I did a DIY install of PPF on our red Model 3 when we got it in Feb. I did the front 3/4 of the car fully. Bought a computer cut kit for the front bumper, which is super complicated. The hood, all 4 doors, front quarter panels were done with bulk sheets bought from a SUPER vendor on ebay paintprotectorstore on eBay. The product was SunTek Ultra, which is their premium package.

Total cost of parts was $800. Took me 2 full days of work. I'm very happy with the results. I am no expert or professional at this stuff, just a regular guy. Did view a bunch of videos on YouTube to figure out how to do it. It's not rocket science. It takes patience and time.

For you who are tempted, just do the front hood yourself. That's just a $100 trial. Then you'll get a sense of whether you want to do more. The front and back bumpers are hard, so buy the computer kit.

@SesameCrunch I was looking for a pre-cut kits for the Model 3 for Suntek Ultra. I didn't see any listed on their website. XPEL has them on their site. I am planning on getting a full front (full hood, full fenders, headlights and mirrors) Suntek Ultra installed by a pro, but I am leaning towards doing the doors, trunk lid by myself.

A pre-cut kit (like XPEL has) would make this a lot easier for the DIY part. Where did you find the pre-cut kits for Suntek Ultra?
Also, how hard were the doors to do?

I agree with Sportsick. ceramic paint coatings cant stop rock chips. Its awesome for protecting paint from chemicals-acidity, salt and tree sap. The Clear bra is for rock chips. The best bang for your buck, for a daily commuter usage, is the at least cover the bumper. If your commute to work is just down the street maybe pass, but it you are getting on a freeway every day the bumper will need the extra protection. If you plan to use the vehicle as your daily drive, may be worth the 1/3 front coverage.$1,600.

I do like the analogy with plastic on Grandmas couch, but when you looked at the couch you could see the cover. It felt even worse to sit on. But when they sold it, they probably got top dollar!

The longer you plan to keep your vehicle the better value preventative care will be. "I penny of prevention is worth a pound of cure."

@SesameCrunch I was looking for a pre-cut kits for the Model 3 for Suntek Ultra. I didn't see any listed on their website. XPEL has them on their site. I am planning on getting a full front (full hood, full fenders, headlights and mirrors) Suntek Ultra installed by a pro, but I am leaning towards doing the doors, trunk lid by myself.

A pre-cut kit (like XPEL has) would make this a lot easier for the DIY part. Where did you find the pre-cut kits for Suntek Ultra?
Also, how hard were the doors to do?
I found them on ebay

Greetings,

think of buying and installing the kits like this- I can buy the same golf club Tiger Woods uses, but it does not guarantee I will play like him.

Buying the pre designed kits is possible and its tempting on Ebay, but keep the Tiger woods analogy in mind. Most of the work and skill with installing takes practice and while it looks pretty easy on the videos, things like dust and frustration will be a challenge.

If you are compelled to install the 4 doors and rear area yourself, in Sunteck, my suggestion would be to have the folks who are doing the front 1/3 of the car in Sunteck, cut you the patterns and sell them to you. They may not want to sell just the kits, but if it was a deal breaker, they will.

A lot of the cost of the job is the labor. Also, as a matter of principle, I wouldnt buy the door patterns and ask the installer how much they would charge to install the doors. Most times when we have had a person pick up a kit on Ebay or Craigs list and call to see how much we would charge to install the kits, it ends up costing the customer the same or more than if they just had us supply parts and materials.

As far as getting precut kits, you can buy them from XPEL because they design the patterns and make the film. Suntek has a designing team also, but they do not sell directly to the consumer. Installers like me have access to the software, a plotter and their film. We pay a royalty to download their patterns and generally XPEL doesnt care what film you are cutting the kits out in. Also, XPEL makes kits for the whole Tesla 3 and I think Suntek software only has the main coverage areas like the front 1/3 of the car.

Hope that helps you move forward.

Bill

I know it's the first thing a lot of people get done and there's absolutely nothing wrong with that. Each to their own. However, I've never wrapped any of my cars (Model S, BMWs) and I've never regretted it. So I don't plan on wrapping my 3 either.

That said, I do plan on wrapping the center console just to prevent it from getting a ton of scratches. If Tesla ever releases a different option for the console (matte black for example), I'll just swap out the parts. Someone could make a good bit of money selling a replacement kit for the console. I'd be fine with the coated plastic that was in my S. Anything but gloss black.

I am sure once Model 3 production is up and running you can easily get replacement center console cover. They are usually cheap to replace.

My previous MS's center armrest wood trim was chewed up by my puppy. Ranger replaced it for a bit over $100.

I too never wrapped, used clear bra, or done ceramic coatings on any of cars. I usually keep my cars 3-5 years and never really regretted also.

How has everyone who chose not to do a wrap/coating held up?

I'm taking delivery next week and I'm on the fence about a front Xpel or ceramic coating, but leaning towards skipping them and just keeping an eye on any damage to patch up with the Tesla paint kit.

My Model 3 is too young to say. But I've never gotten "paint protection" on any car, and I've never been able to tell the difference.

• Informative
Reactions: pilotSteve
How has everyone who chose not to do a wrap/coating held up?

I'm taking delivery next week and I'm on the fence about a front Xpel or ceramic coating, but leaning towards skipping them and just keeping an eye on any damage to patch up with the Tesla paint kit.
I highly recommend front end PPF. Especially since you live in New England. Sandtrucks are brutal. Just my 2 cents.

I never put PPF on any of my gas cars; but then they were all under $20k and I wasn't much concerned with how they held up. The first car I ever put film on was my Roadster. The places I put film (front bumper, front half of fenders and hood) held up fantastic for 7 years...but the rocker panels (which I did not protect) were AWFUL.

We got factory protection on my wife's S, which we had for 88k. It held up great. My leased S does not have film, and even with only 46k...ugh. Much worse. Surprisingly not that many pits on the bumper, but quite a few on the front of the hood.

The film really seems to help, but of course is still optional. If you don't mind pits - or don't mind touching them up - then you can save easy money by not putting film on. I have no problem seeing both sides.

• Informative
Reactions: GSP
Wasn't intending to do so, but after over 2 months of battling over a paint chip/surface scratches and 3 subsequent repainting attempts, I've convinced myself to go forward. The work includes all of the surfaces most susceptible to environmental hazards on the road (and the rear bumper below the trunk). The rest will be paint corrected and ceramic coated (currently happening now).