Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Not getting paint protection film for your Model 3?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Never use blade on any panel, never!!!!!

There are dedicated knifless products to cun on panels with zero risck to cut the paint and very easy to get straight line cut with them

Ha ha. 5 exclamation point. This is you not panicking? Dude, I just grabbed a term. Like I said, no intention of ever applying the stuff. You can see how much a know.

Reactions: Acho
I had previously mentioned that I was going to try the 3M spray film paint protector. I already had the paint repaired after buying it new, and then coated in the OptiCoat Pro product. I got a rock chip on the drive home, of course, so I am excited to get the film on the car to keep any more from happening what with that giant nose the car has...

IMG_0910.jpeg

Masked the hood and wheels and lights and shoved rags in the vents. I got a bit of overspray, glad I had already put on OptiCoat Pro, it allowed me to just wipe the area with spray wax and the overspray came right off (while it was wet, not sure how it will be when it cures)

54439359198__4706AC3B-ECDF-42A5-8E8F-DDD19DC3D5D3.jpeg

After masking I sprayed the entire can going back and forth and pausing to prevent runs. There is a lot of orange pealing and splatter from the can so it looks ugly, but I have done this on other vehicles and as it cures it gets more transparent and less ripply.

54439377744__E1FA80FC-BDD8-4B04-9F44-42FCE5EED077.jpeg

It takes about four days to cure, so it currently looks a little pink.

54439419720__DF0BC177-DF52-41F0-8558-515317EA6AD9.jpeg

I plan to add the carpool lane stickers too, so I might as well have the rear bumper protected from that sticker adhering to the paint too

54439646224__4C86E37A-EFB5-4EF1-A4FD-1B1D3AF0394A.jpeg

As an experiment, I didn't mask the reflectors. Potentially that will mean there is no gap to collect dirt when the film cures. I also sprayed the black lip at the bottom. That area always fades with time, will be interesting to compare my car to other Model 3s in a few years and see how the blackness is holding up.

54439799256__D0052E89-6118-44D9-B8AA-DDA27E4A7A47.jpeg

I sprayed the sensors so I will have to test if it still can sense distance. If not I plan on cutting the film around the sensors. Best thing about film is that it's removable.

Just an option if anyone wants to follow in my footsteps...

-Randy

Last edited:
Reactions: alseTrick
I had previously mentioned that I was going to try the 3M spray film paint protector. I already had the paint repaired after buying it new, and then coated in the OptiCoat Pro product. I got a rock chip on the drive home, of course, so I am excited to get the film on the car to keep any more from happening what with that giant nose the car has...

View attachment 291309

Masked the hood and wheels and lights and shoved rags in the vents. I got a bit of overspray, glad I had already put on OptiCoat Pro, it allowed me to just wipe the area with spray wax and the overspray came right off (while it was wet, not sure how it will be when it cures)

View attachment 291310

After masking I sprayed the entire can going back and forth and pausing to prevent runs. There is a lot of orange pealing and splatter from the can so it looks ugly, but I have done this on other vehicles and as it cures it gets more transparent and less ripply.

View attachment 291311

It takes about four days to cure, so it currently looks a little pink.

View attachment 291312

I plan to add the carpool lane stickers too, so I might as well have the rear bumper protected from that sticker adhering to the paint too

View attachment 291313

As an experiment, I didn't mask the reflectors. Potentially that will mean there is no gap to collect dirt when the film cures. I also sprayed the black lip at the bottom. That area always fades with time, will be interesting to compare my car to other Model 3s in a few years and see how the blackness is holding up.

View attachment 291314

I sprayed the sensors so I will have to test if it still can sense distance. If not I plan on cutting the film around the sensors. Best thing about film is that it's removable.

Just an option if anyone wants to follow in my footsteps...

-Randy
You sprayed this stuff on top of Opti-Coat? Mind me asking how much it cost to have that done (the Opti-Coat)?

Ok. I did it. This was much more difficult than BMW or MS. Other parts were easy, except front bumper. Front bumper required a lot stretching and adjusting. I wasn’t sure if I was going to make it or not. Definitely not for beginners. After 5 hours of labor, everything came out ok fortunately.

That's what I got for my front bumper too. And, yes, it was tricky. Congrats on perservering through it.

If you were able to do the front bumper (which needs protection most), why don't you go ahead and do the full hood and sides? Those are EASY compared to the bumper. I just got bulk sheets for those panels. Took about 1.5 hours each (going very slowly and carefully).

You sprayed this stuff on top of Opti-Coat? Mind me asking how much it cost to have that done (the Opti-Coat)?

I paid $800 for the paint repair and OptiCoat Pro install, this included Glassparency on the roof and all other pieces of glass, and some product described as ScotchGuard on steroids for the leather and fabric interior (that last bit was free because I got a referral).

After drying overnight the 3M spray film has dried and is now transparent:

IMG_7794.JPG

From the front, it's almost impossible to tell it's there

IMG_2117.JPG

Looking at the treated bumper next to the untreated hood you CAN tell a difference, but not bad considering this will help with bugs and rock chips.

IMG_9662.JPG

It's obvious at the suns reflection that there is a film on the car, but for a $9 can I am extremely happy. Now to test drive it and see what the sensors think of the coating. If it doesn't work I can always remove it from the sensors with a toothpick.

-Randy

That's what I got for my front bumper too. And, yes, it was tricky. Congrats on perservering through it.

If you were able to do the front bumper (which needs protection most), why don't you go ahead and do the full hood and sides? Those are EASY compared to the bumper. I just got bulk sheets for those panels. Took about 1.5 hours each (going very slowly and carefully).

Front bumper was a b*#$ch. Partial coverage is totally good enough for me and don't want to spend any more money and time for this area.

I need to spend money on visible stuff like tinting, new wheels, tires, and etc... Or save money for AWD or P3.

I paid $800 for the paint repair and OptiCoat Pro install, this included Glassparency on the roof and all other pieces of glass, and some product described as ScotchGuard on steroids for the leather and fabric interior (that last bit was free because I got a referral).

After drying overnight the 3M spray film has dried and is now transparent:

View attachment 291536

From the front, it's almost impossible to tell it's there

View attachment 291535

Looking at the treated bumper next to the untreated hood you CAN tell a difference, but not bad considering this will help with bugs and rock chips.

View attachment 291537

It's obvious at the suns reflection that there is a film on the car, but for a $9 can I am extremely happy. Now to test drive it and see what the sensors think of the coating. If it doesn't work I can always remove it from the sensors with a toothpick.

-Randy
Doesn’t look bad! Is it hydrophobic?

I just got Opticoat pro plus done on my white Model 3. I picked up from Marina Del Rey in california on saturday around 7:30pm and through reading forums and searching yelp reviews found Xscend detailing in Long Beach, Ca and the owner, Suat did a fantastic job. The paint looks really glossy and shiny as the Opticoat was well applied and was put on paint that wasn't damaged yet. I'm recommending this business for all the reasons and the review I left them on yelp. If you need a quality place with excellent service I'd recommend them in a heartbeat.

As an aside, I decided to skip the clearbra on the Model 3 which I had on the G35. It just looked ugly seeing those lines, and unless you want to pay $2k front of car to 5-6k for the entire car and ensure all the edges are wrapped.. I'd pass. It's hard to justify spending 10% or close to that on this car. Now if I could afford a fully loaded Model S, I probably would think it would be worthwhile as the car would be over $140k before taxes.. food for thought

With all that being said, that's why I only went with Opticoat to put some protection over the clearcoat.. also did it right away after delivery before I received the swirl marks from hell.. Go research yelp, google, forums and decide yourself, but after doing all that I'm glad I went to Suat at Xscend.

Attachments

• Pearl.jpg
    Pearl.jpg
    100.9 KB · Views: 162
  • Front Angle.jpg
    Front Angle.jpg
    518.1 KB · Views: 157
What did you pay for the Pro Plus? How long did they have your car?

-Randy

All I can say is, I called a few places and Suat gave me more than a fair deal. It was one I was very satisfied with. I literally dropped it off on sunday at 1pm and picked it up monday at 12pm. turn around was fast as I've read other places spending 2-3 days with the car. look up all the yelp reviews from before and the one I just posted. hope this helps

All I can say is, I called a few places and Suat gave me more than a fair deal. It was one I was very satisfied with. I literally dropped it off on sunday at 1pm and picked it up monday at 12pm. turn around was fast as I've read other places spending 2-3 days with the car. look up all the yelp reviews from before and the one I just posted. hope this helps

Did you sign an NDA or something? It'd be more helpful if you said the price. Just sayin'.

Reactions: Brnn and GSP
Did you sign an NDA or something? It'd be more helpful if you said the price. Just sayin'.

How did you know about the NDA? smart man.. I called around and received quotes up to $1700 for the 7 year warranty/2 opticoat layers, which seemed ridiculous and I would have passed. It was hundreds less. The deal with not posting prices is similar to how some people get uptight over their VIN #. Both instances probably don't make a lot of sense. Yes yes one could argue that you could be tracked with VIN # and a $ amount on a service are not equivalent, but I'd rather post my VIN #9992 than post the actual price. Reason being, they gave me great service,I appreciate their professionalism, and I don't want them to be held to a promotional price since they just moved down here i.e. lowballed by forum members.