Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Notification that battery cannot charge to 100%

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
FWIW as an additional data-point, this just happened to me yesterday. As I was coming home from a long trip, I pulled into a supercharging station, and as soon as I plugged in, the aforementioned error appeared on my screen. Much more troubling was the fact that my Model 3 wouldn’t take a charge. I tried other stalls, and even a completely different supercharger in an attempt to eliminate any chance that it could be something wrong with the charger.

After those attempts failed, I called roadside assistance, as my car was getting very low on power and I was far from home. They had me run through the (what I assume) standard procedure of resetting things and rebooting the car. After none of that helped, they took me into the service center, where I was told that my battery was “unbalanced” and needed to be replaced.

They quickly got me sorted with a loaner Model S and I was back on my way. I am told the repair will take 3 days since they have to order a new battery, after which they will ship my car back to me. All covered under warranty, of course.

So all in all, I’d say the folks at Tesla took really good care of me, but it was still a really unfortunate experience. I’m just glad it didn’t happen in the middle of the night. I could have been stranded. So if you see that message on your screen, definitely take your car in ASAP.

FWIW as an additional data-point, this just happened to me yesterday. As I was coming home from a long trip, I pulled into a supercharging station, and as soon as I plugged in, the aforementioned error appeared on my screen. Much more troubling was the fact that my Model 3 wouldn’t take a charge. I tried other stalls, and even a completely different supercharger in an attempt to eliminate any chance that it could be something wrong with the charger.

After those attempts failed, I called roadside assistance, as my car was getting very low on power and I was far from home. They had me run through the (what I assume) standard procedure of resetting things and rebooting the car. After none of that helped, they took me into the service center, where I was told that my battery was “unbalanced” and needed to be replaced.

They quickly got me sorted with a loaner Model S and I was back on my way. I am told the repair will take 3 days since they have to order a new battery, after which they will ship my car back to me. All covered under warranty, of course.

So all in all, I’d say the folks at Tesla took really good care of me, but it was still a really unfortunate experience. I’m just glad it didn’t happen in the middle of the night. I could have been stranded. So if you see that message on your screen, definitely take your car in ASAP.

Thanks for sharing the story. How many miles do you have on your car?

• Informative
Reactions: APotatoGod

Sorry to hear mojo. My battery pack came in last week, they told me in Monday it should be done wed. A bit skeptical but we'll see. I really miss my 3

Whosyourbaba thanks for sharing this.
I picked up my M3 yesterday and after the very first charge at home got the same error. Today I talked to the delivery center and the car will be towed to a service center.
Seriously considering that 7 day return policy.

Whosyourbaba thanks for sharing this.
I picked up my M3 yesterday and after the very first charge at home got the same error. Today I talked to the delivery center and the car will be towed to a service center.
Seriously considering that 7 day return policy.
Probably should return it. That car went through zero quality control if the car did not charge on first try.

SoManyM3s makes you wonder doesn't it? Anyway, I am waiting to hear back from them today after their diagnostics.
Really like the car though, however this experience really sucks!
Yeah definitely. You hear all these people with cars with obvious scratches, etc. They're supposed to even detail these cars before delivery. How many corners are these employees cutting because there's no boss on site? Can you imagine how many people are getting yelled at if a customer at a local GM complains to a manager about a new car delivered to a customer had scratches or relatable to your example, a volt that didn't charge off the lot.

They make great cars. But the car delivery process is unlike any tech industry business. There's too much direct contact with consumers for them to not have checks and balances.

Well just as expected, based on this thread, it is the same issue and the solution is to replace the battery pack. Let's see how Tesla handles this issue. It's a brand new car and my first charge did not work. I'm within my 7 days return window, but from some articles I've read, this could become a painful process. Will keep you all posted.

The Charlotte Delivery Center has initiated the Returns process. They tried to find the same config car in their inventory, no luck, so they placed a new order for me, I paid the $2500 for the booking. Meanwhile, they will continue to search their inventory (In the SE region i assume) if my config shows up.
So now I'm back to waiting for a car, my original loan still active, will talk to my bank about possibilities of a new loan.
I was informed the Returns could take between 30 to 45 days.
Plus the looming June 30th Fed Tax incentive deadline for the $3750.
Lets just say, this has been a difficult situation, and I'm waiting to see what Tesla does to compensate for this mess.
I'm sure you are all fascinated, so I'll continue to update.

Returns process on the way, they couldn't do anything to expedite it, since it is considered to be a 'fixable' issue. This morning I got a delivery notification for the new order for next week (8 days!). The folks at Charlotte Delivery Center are being helpful and trying to resolve this issue.

• Informative
Reactions: Electric700
Same error popped up for me last week. Got the first appointment I could, and dropped off yesterday. I showed this forum post to the employee who helped me out, he said not to believe what you read on the internet. This morning he texted me saying the battery will be here in 3-5 business days (whoops). Got a Model S 75D as a loaner, really glad it wasn't a generic Enterprise rental (even though the Model S is actually owned by Enterprise). So far it seems that everyone who posted this error message needed a new battery. My spec: P3D+, 8/18 build date, ~4300 miles.

Returns process on the way, they couldn't do anything to expedite it, since it is considered to be a 'fixable' issue. This morning I got a delivery notification for the new order for next week (8 days!). The folks at Charlotte Delivery Center are being helpful and trying to resolve this issue.

So sorry you had to return your car. I hope the newly ordered Model 3 works completely to your satisfaction!

Thank you Electric700, picked up my new Model 3 on the 29th of June afternoon. Car is just fantastic, I've been showing it off to all my friends and coworkers. Most of whom have driven it as well. 2 seriously considering it as their next car...

So yes I am very happy with the car and the way Tesla helped me through the rough experience.

Finally picked up my car Thursday and have been testing it since, able to charge without issues (knocking on wood). So glad to have my car back, I gained more appreciation and love for the car. I noticed on my invoice for why the battery failed (replace HV Battery Due To Missing Battery Cell Wire Bonds).
This is a known fault with some Model 3 built last year between April and August, or something like that. Some of the battery cells didn't get wired, so that the battery does not get to 100% charge. You can search for it, as there was a thread about it, not that long ago.

Same error popped up for me last week. Got the first appointment I could, and dropped off yesterday. I showed this forum post to the employee who helped me out, he said not to believe what you read on the internet. This morning he texted me saying the battery will be here in 3-5 business days (whoops). Got a Model S 75D as a loaner, really glad it wasn't a generic Enterprise rental (even though the Model S is actually owned by Enterprise). So far it seems that everyone who posted this error message needed a new battery. My spec: P3D+, 8/18 build date, ~4300 miles.

They swap was completed on Saturday, really fast turn around from Monday PM drop off time. However, the car sat over the weekend, which I was told was due to their tech team continuing to monitor the state of charge on the battery. Fair enough. I got a call on Tuesday (guess the service advisor wasn't working Monday?) telling me that during the course of the swap, the techs managed to drop it off the lift, damaging both sides of the car... Current estimate on fixing the new Tesla-added body damage is next Thursday. F

• Informative
Reactions: go2realize and KenC
They swap was completed on Saturday, really fast turn around from Monday PM drop off time. However, the car sat over the weekend, which I was told was due to their tech team continuing to monitor the state of charge on the battery. Fair enough. I got a call on Tuesday (guess the service advisor wasn't working Monday?) telling me that during the course of the swap, the techs managed to drop it off the lift, damaging both sides of the car... Current estimate on fixing the new Tesla-added body damage is next Thursday. F

:eek:

I could not muster more of a response with my last post. You’re going to need a checklist. I would not want a car back that had been dropped off of a lift, TBH.

Get pictures of the damage done so you know what they are repairing!

Check rocker panels, plastic and steel
Check the jackpoints
Get the alignment report, post repair

Obviously check all the body work they had to have done, if any.
Check the wheels for damage.

Not sure what else.