Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Now I’m a Creep!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hold should keep the car from rolling even on steep hills, per the Manual.

You might want to get yours checked if Hold does not function as designed

View attachment 435119 .

I knew that. It always works if i put it to hold by myself. I don’t let my car put to Hold automatically after few times wrong thing happened. Find a hill that makes your car slow down by 1mph per 1-3 seconds and you might see odd thing happen.

@KrenGrl just curious - did you end up getting a Model 3 recently? Or still just the S?

I have an older S and the hold works differently than the 3... It turns on hill hold automatically depending on the incline. Stepping on the brake doesn't trigger it at all. Maybe the refreshed S/X works just like the 3?

• Informative
Reactions: mswlogo
@KrenGrl just curious - did you end up getting a Model 3 recently? Or still just the S?

I have an older S and the hold works differently than the 3... It turns on hill hold automatically depending on the incline. Stepping on the brake doesn't trigger it at all. Maybe the refreshed S/X works just like the 3?

If your S is pre-AP, then hold works completely different than an AP car. They changed the braking system when they added AP, so hold was changed as well. My 2013 hold was dicey at best and only gave you a second or two before it stopped working. On our 2015, hold works just like my 3 - push the brake pedal firmly and it will hold all day long.

• Informative
Reactions: nvx1977
I liked the idea of “Hold” while stopped, until I didn’t get to to catch and rolled back at a stoplight / bumped someone. Now I have “creep” enabled. Seems to be more comfortable for me.

Come to think about it, I have done this before, on a manual transmission ICE.

I use Creep all the time. No downsides. Can still hold with a brake press, and I don't worry about rolling back on the really steep hills in Seattle if Hold isn't enabled.

Does creep give you less regenerative braking or does creep come on below 5mph where there is no regenerative braking anyway?

Since you modulate the speed with the brake pedal in creep mode the brake pads will wear faster.

Does creep give you less regenerative braking or does creep come on below 5mph where there is no regenerative braking anyway?

Since you modulate the speed with the brake pedal in creep mode the brake pads will wear faster.

I’ve noticed no difference in regen. And there should be no tangible brake wear between Creep on or off. It’s such a small amount of movement forward.

In a RHD the reluctance doesn't regen below a certain RPM. On an AWD you may lose a little but it is likely negligible in real life and would be just a small "blip" of a measurement.

I've found the issue with no creep and using hold is when you're on a very slight incline that doesn't necessarily communicate the "need" to use hold like an obvious incline. Combined with the fact that I use hold at stop lights the majority of the time (because without creep it's super easy and almost automatic when stopping), but SOMETIMES you don't press hard enough or some other distraction and you don't have hold enabled at the end of the stop. THEN that very slight incline can be a liability as if it's enough that you start to roll backward inadvertently.... I've caught that a few times in the last year and luckily nothing bad, but I really think the car should just monitor the motor direction and if it turns backwards while in drive, then automatically enable HOLD. Or, at least give us a setting like "rollback prevention" and I'll turn it on and you manual tranny guys leave it off...

I've always had manuals. But the last few I've had (BMWs) have all had "hill assist" where they didn't roll back for a few seconds after you let off the break, so I haven't rolled back at a stop light in over a decade.

I think I'll turn creep on when I get my Tesla.

I've always had manuals. But the last few I've had (BMWs) have all had "hill assist" where they didn't roll back for a few seconds after you let off the break, so I haven't rolled back at a stop light in over a decade.

I think I'll turn creep on when I get my Tesla.

So my car has hill assist and I like it, but that's like not having creep on but having hold on. I guess I should have mentioned that my state is super flat so I don't really have issues rolling a lot.

I've found the issue with no creep and using hold is when you're on a very slight incline that doesn't necessarily communicate the "need" to use hold like an obvious incline. Combined with the fact that I use hold at stop lights the majority of the time (because without creep it's super easy and almost automatic when stopping), but SOMETIMES you don't press hard enough or some other distraction and you don't have hold enabled at the end of the stop. THEN that very slight incline can be a liability as if it's enough that you start to roll backward inadvertently.... I've caught that a few times in the last year and luckily nothing bad, but I really think the car should just monitor the motor direction and if it turns backwards while in drive, then automatically enable HOLD. Or, at least give us a setting like "rollback prevention" and I'll turn it on and you manual tranny guys leave it off...
I think that sums up my original issue. Would be great to at least get an audible warning you are starting to roll back. I haven’t had hold engage with creep- Ill have to try mashing harder. Thanks all.

I cancelled my order for the M3 after seeing it when it came out. Got a CPO S.

Reactions: nvx1977