Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Now NY wants to shut down Tesla - please call you state Senator!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am confused why every big car maker goes through dealership in first place (is it law or someone forcing them to do it, e.g. Japanese and German)

If they are following the law state by state in that situation tesla should be in line with that.

If big car makers are doing for any other reasons in that situation, Tesla is right, and it is free market to sell a car directly to consumer (I like that model in first place)

Unbelievable!! If it passes they will probably try to make it retroactive as well, thereby making my Model S purchase illegal. Time to start making calls and writing letters/emails.

Also, it is not just the sale portion. There are various levels of service & parts departments dealerships rely on for revenue. It is a tough game all around. What is the answer?

Unbelievable!! If it passes they will probably try to make it retroactive as well, thereby making my Model S purchase illegal. Time to start making calls and writing letters/emails.

Also, it is not just the sale portion. There are various levels of service & parts departments dealerships rely on for revenue. It is a tough game all around. What is the answer?

Actually the bill is retroactive. It rescinds violating licenses that were issued after July 1st 2006! I assume that is when Tesla received its first license to sell the Roadster.

I just read most of the bill and the dealers are really pushing here. There happens to be a lot of stipulations in the bill that existing auto manufacturers should be opposed to as well. For example, the manufacturer will have less control over the construction of the dealership, the manufacturer will not be permitted to require separate facilities for their brand unless certain stipulations are met, the manufacturer would be required to reimburse the dealer for renovation construction and costs if a brand is closed or discontinued.

I can see all the auto manufacturers up in arms about many of these provisions.

What kills me is that the dealers are trying to legislate what really should be negotiated contractual issues!

Actually the bill is retroactive. It rescinds violating licenses that were issued after July 1st 2006! I assume that is when Tesla received its first license to sell the Roadster.

I just read most of the bill and the dealers are really pushing here. There happens to be a lot of stipulations in the bill that existing auto manufacturers should be opposed to as well. For example, the manufacturer will have less control over the construction of the dealership, the manufacturer will not be permitted to require separate facilities for their brand unless certain stipulations are met, the manufacturer would be required to reimburse the dealer for renovation construction and costs if a brand is closed or discontinued.

I can see all the auto manufacturers up in arms about many of these provisions.

What kills me is that the dealers are trying to legislate what really should be negotiated contractual issues!

Does it say somewhere on the bill who sponsored it? Is this NADA of NY or a particular Congressman?

Just called my state senator's office. An aide explained that it would need at least 3 more days before a Senate vote, and it is very unlikely session will continue that long. Next session January.

Not that other's shouldn't call their reps (and of course, it's possible this aide didn't quite have it right).

(fwiw, I called my state senator in NY from my place in NC where I live most of the time).

This law is economic terrorism by mobsters who are elected officials in collusion with an amoral industry.

Assuming New York passes this law, it may the enter Federal Courts if Tesla decides to sue. Unfortunately for us, most District and Appeals Court judges are also quite corrupt - they twist to law to suite the status quo and will go to great lengths to protect corrupt legislators. So they'll rule in favor of the Dealers. It will have to lose in the Courts all the way up to the Supremes, where Tesla will have their best chance to win.

NY state voting on anti-Tesla legislation TODAY

Just got this from Tesla. If you live in NY state, and have any interest in Tesla whatsoever, call your State Senator or State Assemblyman LITERALLY RIGHT THIS MINUTE, as they're supposedly voting on this (see below) today:
http://www.nysenate.gov/senators
http://assembly.state.ny.us/mem/?sh=search

------
Dear Tesla Advocates,
The Dealers in New York have been working hard to push Tesla out of your state as the legislative session concludes today. As a Tesla advocate in New York we need your help now. This legislation, AB 7844A / SB 5725A attempts to change existing law to exclude Tesla from operating in New York. Make no mistake – this bill would shut down existing Tesla stores and service locations starting this year!
Tesla is putting boots on the ground to fight for your right for consumer choice – but, you too can play a part TODAY.
Please contact the Governor, your local Senator and state Assemblyman and let them know that you want Tesla to stay in New York!
Did you know:
There are more than 400 Tesla Roadster and Model S owners in New York with more joining our community every week.
With three stores (Manhattan, Westchester, Garden City) and two service centers (Queens and White Plains) operating in New York, Tesla supports 50 employees and upwards of $7 million in direct economic activity to the State. These jobs, locations and economic investment would go away if this legislation passes.
Tesla intends to install a number of Superchargers and Battery Swap stations to enable long distance travel in the State before the end of the year to support the growing number of Tesla owners in the region.
Thank you for your immediate action!