Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Now Shipping: Custom Tesla Roadster 2-Piece Slotted Rotors

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Update, just swapped e-mails with the rotor manufacturer, they had a milling machine go down the week of Thanksgiving. Always bad timing going into a Holiday. To make matters worse, they could not fix the machine and are just now coming back online with manufacturing and a new machine. Our rotors are the job the machine was working on when it went down, so they are still in process...I will report as soon as there is good news.

• Informative
Reactions: nsxpert
Welcome to Noel from Hawaii as the latest Roadster owner to get on board with this round of Rotors! The friction disc were finished processing on Tuesday and are drying today so they can get packed for shipping. I hope to have them in the shop for final assembly by Monday! It's getting close. There are still a few sets unclaimed so email if you are interested.

One of the customer in this batch asked to have the rotors 'blacked out' as best we could. Our painter used Cerakote, a tough gun coating, to make this nice satin finish.
CRF hats for Tesla Raodster, cerakote satin black, 01-17-2018.jpg

Reactions: nsxpert
We are getting all the orders together, packed up with brake pads. Folks who have already paid will be getting an e-mail with shipping costs. You can PP us to cover these costs and we will get sets heading your way. I do still have 2 sets of rotors available, some folks who were 'committed' decided to wait. I will be placing another order for brake pads so there will be a bit of a delay for shipping if you want pads with rotors. Let me know and we can get you set up.

Thanks for all the support, Dave.

Got a call from FedEx today. Rotors and pads to be delivered tomorrow, signature required. Yea!

Any new suggestions for what to tell my mechanic on how to install them? He claims it's not a big deal, but hasn't actually seen a Roadster (or Lotus) from the other end of a socket wrench. We do trust him, however, and I'd rather go with someone I can work with, vs an unknown shop.

I have the links to the YouTube videos and instructions up-thread, and will strongly suggest he watch them before touching the car.

Questions for the group, after re-reading the thread:
1. I understand Tesla won't service the brakes once the upgrade is made, but does that include the 2-year brake fluid flush? My annual service is in a few months; not sure if this the year for it.
2. There was a tip regarding a fix to the rattles that involved the springs somehow. What was that?
3. Brake "goo" - I think the "red kind" was the recommendation, but is there a better description?
4. What have others learned that would be best for us to not have to re-learn the hard way?

Thanks!

Greg

Got a call from FedEx today. Rotors and pads to be delivered tomorrow, signature required. Yea!

Any new suggestions for what to tell my mechanic on how to install them? He claims it's not a big deal, but hasn't actually seen a Roadster (or Lotus) from the other end of a socket wrench. We do trust him, however, and I'd rather go with someone I can work with, vs an unknown shop.

I have the links to the YouTube videos and instructions up-thread, and will strongly suggest he watch them before touching the car.

Questions for the group, after re-reading the thread:
1. I understand Tesla won't service the brakes once the upgrade is made, but does that include the 2-year brake fluid flush? My annual service is in a few months; not sure if this the year for it.
2. There was a tip regarding a fix to the rattles that involved the springs somehow. What was that?
3. Brake "goo" - I think the "red kind" was the recommendation, but is there a better description?
4. What have others learned that would be best for us to not have to re-learn the hard way?

Thanks!

Greg
Tesla did a brake fluid flush for me after I installed the new rotors.

I use 'Brake Quiet' to prevent rattles when installing pads:
https://www.walmart.com/ip/CRC-Indu...93696&wl11=online&wl12=49678961&wl13=&veh=sem

Most shops will have no problem doing the install, brake flush is always a good idea for preventative maintenance when doing a brake job. Make sure to clean the rotors well since they are shipped with an extra layer of rust protectant so they will be good for years sitting on the shelf. Soap and water using a scrubby sponge works best to get this protectant off.

Here is a good reference for general brake information and a good bed in procedure:
Technical White Papers

I had these installed last year and while the performance is fantastic, the brakes do squeak quite a bit - especially in reverse when I'm backing slowly into a spot. My installer said he used Brake Quiet, but I have my doubts.

Is there anything can be done at this point short of taking it to another installer and having the pads re-applied?

The only thing I know that works is to re-do the pad install. Make sure to clean all the surfaces with brake cleaner, pad backing plates AND the caliper areas where the pads touch. Apply the Brake Quiet following the directions, make sure to have the pads pushed toward the front of the car, the direction the car normally loads the pads when stopping. I like to let the car sit overnight to make sure the Brake Quiet has a chance to harden before I drive the car. If the car gets backed up right away, sometimes the Brake Quiet won't bond well and can allow the pads to rattle/squeak.

I had anticipated buying a full set however it was pointed out to me that here in Hong Kong the car would fail its annual MOT inspection / road worthiness test if I were to change the brake rotors and pads !

So I'm now trying the find the original Brembo Pad part numbers as Tesla SC are gouging my eyes out with their prices and refuse to give me the official Brembo catalogue Ref# only their Tesla catalogue numbers Front 6002453 and Rear 6002446 and they are asking US$ 200 per pad parts only plus labour US$ 200.