Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Now Shipping: Custom Tesla Roadster 2-Piece Slotted Rotors

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
No sure if I see it, Dave on the last batch marked which side and forward / back location for each rotor. They were marked with a sharpie on the inside of the aluminum hat. Are there any markings on them? I don't see any. Its only so that you don't mix up the slot directions on one side. The slots can run in either direction, there's really no difference I can see and have seen them run both ways.

Haven't received a shipping e-mail yet. Also, I was originally planning on reusing my existing Carbotech pads but since you now have sourced ones that you say won't rattle, do you have some extra sets of those available to add to my existing order? Will they really not rattle?

Here's a pic of the slot direction mounted on the Roadster:

700_9713.JPG

Folks,
We got in a hurry to get the first rotors out of the shop and my shipping guy packed them before we could mark them. Sorry about that, wiztecy is correct about the direction of the slots will indicate the correct rotation for the rotors.

We will be in touch as soon as the brake pads are in the shop and get the rest of the rotors out...this time, marked.

Haven't received a shipping e-mail yet. Also, I was originally planning on reusing my existing Carbotech pads but since you now have sourced ones that you say won't rattle, do you have some extra sets of those available to add to my existing order? Will they really not rattle?
At this time I can not add to the order for pads. If your pads are not rattling at this time they should work the same when you install the new rotors. If you have issues, clean the back of the pads and the brake pistons/bodies well, use brake cleaner as a final step. Put a fresh coat of Brake Quiet on the pads and re-install them. That should solve the problem if it arises.

At this time I can not add to the order for pads. If your pads are not rattling at this time they should work the same when you install the new rotors. If you have issues, clean the back of the pads and the brake pistons/bodies well, use brake cleaner as a final step. Put a fresh coat of Brake Quiet on the pads and re-install them. That should solve the problem if it arises.
They do rattle horribly and when they were installed (by a Tesla service center) I made sure they used ample amounts of Brake Quiet. They did mine and EricVFX's roadster at the same time...both of which started to rattle within a few weeks of the Carbotech pads being installed. I guess I can either wait until the new pads are available and have the rotors installed then or risk using the existing ones and have them rattle again. Since my order didn't contain the pads, should I have received a shipping e-mail yet?

You can always order the G-Loc pads off their website or do a phone order:
G-LOC Brakes -

Dave did the homework for us and supplied us with the cross referenced part numbers:

Pad material:
Carbotech Bobcat 1521 = G-Loc GS-1
Carbotech AX-6 = G-Loc R6

Front pad shape F: GP109L
Rear pads shape R: GP491L

Also I'm sure you could sell your used CarboTech pads as well (pretty sure they're still good to use) if you don't want to keep them as a backup, either someone here on TMC or even on the Lotus forum / community would be happy to pick them up.

Some people have put rubber shims in, there's talk about that in different brake threads which help eliminate the rattle. Also top metal plate / spring plate on the top of the front rotors can be retensioned/bent to put more force down on the pad which was designed to help eliminate the rattle. Another TMC thread discusses that as well. Its typically only the fronts that rattle.

Lastly if the brake quiet instructions are not followed as they are indicated on the bottle the pads will rattle and people for the most part think you can just slap on the brake quiet goo and then start mounting your brakes, well you can't. And a generous amount needs to be applied. I've found if done correctly it will keep the brakes from rattling until you track or heat up your brakes a good bit then you'll hear some slight rattling again. However if you tension that spring as I described above and add the goo you should be good to go.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: dhrivnak
Lastly if the brake quiet instructions are not followed as they are indicated on the bottle the pads will rattle and people for the most part think you can just slap on the brake quiet goo and then start mounting your brakes, well you can't. And a generous amount needs to be applied.
+1 to this. After you put the brake quiet on the pad you have to wait like 10 mins before you install the pads (else all the brake quiet will squish out because it's still wet and won't do its job). I wonder if the Tesla SC took the time to do that?

Reactions: wiztecy
Rotors arrived. I forgot who the recommended installer in the Los Angeles area is? Are there any other LA area owners that also just received their rotors and we could try to coordinate having them all installed by the same person/company at the same time? Thoughts? Suggestions?

Rotors arrived. I forgot who the recommended installer in the Los Angeles area is? Are there any other LA area owners that also just received their rotors and we could try to coordinate having them all installed by the same person/company at the same time? Thoughts? Suggestions?
In the LA area contact:
Jonathan Anaya 916-996-4272
He is a dependable mechanic who has been doing installs for me for a number of years, he offers a mobile service which can be very convenient.

Call or text him.
Dave

• Informative
Reactions: RobsJester
Update...
3 sets of the brake pads arrived in the shop today, most of them are still en-route. The weather has messed with shipping in the Northwest. We are supposed to be getting the remainder of the order by the end of the week so be looking for an e-mail from '[email protected]' with a PayPal invoice for shipping cost. We will be shipping as soon as can get things packed and processed.
Thanks again to all,
Dave

If your in East LA near Montclair I highly recommend 911 Design they have done extensive work on my Roadster
5505 Moreno St, Montclair, CA 91763
(909) 982-9111
Home Page 911 Design - 911 Design

The rotors and pads are shipping out, thank you to all who have paid shipping invoices. Please check your spam filters, sounds like a few of the invoices were recovered from 'junk' files, if you have not received a final shipping invoice.

At this time I have 3 set of rotors in line for the next batch so let me know if you are interested, we only need to hit 20 for the prices to work out. This last batch was for 30 sets as a point of reference.

Thanks everyone and happy holidays!
Dave