Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

NSW EV charging master plan

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi All,

Any idea regarding the release of this charger? Very keen for this one as this is super close to me :)

1678696859325.png

Presumably, this has implications for the likelihood that payment terminals will be installed at Tesla's NSW-funded sites.

At Fully Charged Live on the weekend, someone (I forget who) made the very good point that tap-and-go is problematic at public charging stations, because the CPO has no idea who owns the card used, hence they have no way of notifying that person when their charge session is finished or have a contact email address to which they can send the invoice.

So I would not be surprised if the NSW Government has waived or modified that requirement. Registered Opal cards could still work, since they have attached account details with name, email address and phone numbers. But that would still require back-end integration between all the CPOs and the Opal system. Security breaches, anyone?

So I can see why tap-and-go isn’t a great idea. CPOs need to be able to communicate with the users of their stations to move people on and not have them clog up sites to the detriment of all EV drivers.

You can display a QR code or a URL on a screen to get an invoice. Parking meters and KFC do this. Tesla stalls don't have a screen (I can understand why, they aren't reliable and/or get vandalised). Not all people need a tax invoice, but you can always register an account in an app if you need one. With Opal, if you use a credit card, you don't get a tax invoice unless you register it to an account.

As for notifying when a charging session is finished, charging a per minute penalty for overstaying by more than 5 minutes and an ACA horror story of someone slogged $1000 for leaving their EV plugged in overnight will fix that. The free level 2 chargefox at Rhodes Central now has a sign begging people to not leave their cars overnight.

The free level 2 chargefox at Rhodes Central now has a sign begging people to not leave their cars overnight.
I think I must be missing something. Isn't this your typical 3 hours free parking shopping center? It looks like it has a $45 charge if parking for >7 hours, surely this is enough of a price signal and if you really need and can pay $45 for a fill then good for you. If this is not already enough of a price signal then a further price signal would be better than a sign. It is already on the chargefox network so additional charges beyond a 3 hour free period is also available here to signal the behaviour they feel they need.

Reactions: GSP and cafz
During a trip to Canberra this week I noticed that the Heatherbrae Pies carpark at Suttons forrest was half blocked off. Lots of guys working and looks like an EV charging Site going up fast. New trench dug along the back of the car spaces and conduits going to a common area. Tried to get closer but they did not seem to like the attention.

Attachments

• IMG_1807.jpeg
    IMG_1807.jpeg
    139.6 KB · Views: 41
  • IMG_1768.jpeg
    IMG_1768.jpeg
    346 KB · Views: 51
Last edited:
During a trip to Canberra this week I noticed that the Heatherbrae Pies carpark at Suttons forrest was half blocked off. Lots of guys working and looks like an EV charging Site going up fast. New trench dug along the back of the car spaces and conduits going to a common area. Tried to get closer but they did not seem to like the attention.
Next time get them an iced coffee and a sausage roll from the shop, you'll get a tour:cool:

• Informative
Reactions: Chuq
Hmm, quite a coincidence …

I'm sure someone will get more photos soon.

Heatherbrae Pies also look to be on a distinct plot of land to the Viva/ Shell site where Evie sits on the other side.
I still drive past the southern highlands twice a week. Just pulled into Heatherbrae's pies a few minutes ago. Notice the logo on those two white cabinets off to the right?

(I'd suggest continuing this discussion into the other thread)

20230319_094945.jpg

20230319_095012.jpg

Last edited by a moderator: