Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

NSW EV charging master plan

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Now that we have a change of government, do we think there's going to be a change to this grant? Whether it's better or worse.

I know it's (very) early days but hoping someone with insider knowledge on how these work can enlighten us (me)

Now that we have a change of government, do we think there's going to be a change to this grant? Whether it's better or worse.

I know it's (very) early days but hoping someone with insider knowledge on how these work can enlighten us (me)

Well I don’t have inside knowledge, but I did some searching during the election campaign to find out if the ALP released any policies about electric vehicles, or whether they plan to continue or amend the current programme, and found… nothing.

We know that the ALP voted in favour of the “Electric Vehicles (Revenue Arrangements) Bill 2021” and made only one proposed amendment to the Bill, and that was for a Parliamentary Committee to review the operation of the Act after 2 years. That amendment was accepted by the Government (Clause 22 of the Act). So that means the Legislative Council will review this Act around Oct-Nov this year.

Based on that, this suggests that the ALP considered there was no need for any new EV policies because there was one they supported already in place, so my assumption is the programme will continue unchanged. The ALP supported almost all elements of the Bill including the rebates and stamp duty exemptions, and supported the road usage charge and using the money from that to fund the rollout of fast chargers and other EV infrastructure.

I do not believe NSW labor will change the current policy. The existing federal policy is also complimentary and applies.

NSW actually has a pretty good environment for EV's, and the EV charger rollout is happening, EV sales are booming in NSW. The existing Liberal NSW government had taken a very different tack to the fed liberals and NSW had embraced renewables, EV's. IMO there is bipartisan support in NSW for EV's and renewables, we have crossed that threshold in NSW IMO.

Schools, nurses, toll roads etc are far higher priority areas and are hot messes. Fooding, dams, power stations are also priority. I expect both parties will tread lightly with ev in NSW, and even road usage charge will be a slow walk. Every ev sold is a voter who then becomes sensitive about that issue.

During the next 3 years NSW will basically get a workable state wide EV charging network for regional and highways. Its already arguably 2nd to only Victoria, but NSW seems to already have a whole bunch of stuff in the pipe and as long as sales continue to be strong, this will continue. EV charging in regional areas also means a lot to regional voters, rich EV owning families driving silently into their town, is dreamy tourism stuff. So if anything, I think more announcement and incentives on EV charging over the next 3 years.

Reactions: Lachlan Smith
NSW had embraced renewables
On the surface it looks very good, projects are generally required to consider the environment/offset emissions/use renewables, Sydney trains operations are offset. But this on its own fails to consider the whole picture including deforestation, the Eraring coal plant closure delays, Narrabri gas project approval, and PEP-11 among others.
As EVs become more available and more MPs buy them, the pressure for renewable energy and the charging infrastructure to supply it is only going to multiply.

Shoalhaven Council is seeking feedback on one of the sites funded by this plan - in Ulladulla: Proposed Electric Vehicle Charging Station - Ulladulla

Evie with 2x units, servicing 4x spaces. The renders look like PKM150 units.

An alternate design is also shown, which adds solar and a battery. It would be the first one since Coochin Creek to have a solar canopy.

1682577510250.png

Bega was listed as 176 Auckland St. This is a tiny single building University of Wollongong site that barely has 6 parking spaces on it. 106 Auckland St is a shopping centre (as are many others on the list) so I've used that address instead.
Seems like the initial address is actually correct. 176 Auckland St. At least at this stage. From Bega council meeting minutes,

"Council has been approached three times this year by CPOs seeking appropriate sites for ultra-fast charging stations (Evie, Tesla and RACV Solar). Staff anticipate that these enquiries will become more frequent over coming months and recommend a strategic response. Council does not have a clear policy or procedure for responding to these enquiries.

Tesla have secured OEC funding to install chargers at the University of Wollongong campus on Auckland Street. However, there is some flexibility in location under the funding, and Tesla are seeking a more suitable site with greater capacity."

Sound this sounds like the 176 Auckland St site at the University of Wollongong site is their fallback site and Tesla are still trying to arrange a better site location potentially with the council.

The two sites mentioned for the Bega town around as potential council sites are a further walk to the main shop area than the UOW site. The Bega recreation reserve and the Bega pool. Though the Bega recreation reserve might be a more pleasant place in itself to charge at. They, the council, seem to have neglected to nominate the Council owned free parking area on Zingel Place which is right next to the main shops, a public park and toilets.

Seems like the initial address is actually correct. 176 Auckland St. At least at this stage. From Bega council meeting minutes,

"Council has been approached three times this year by CPOs seeking appropriate sites for ultra-fast charging stations (Evie, Tesla and RACV Solar). Staff anticipate that these enquiries will become more frequent over coming months and recommend a strategic response. Council does not have a clear policy or procedure for responding to these enquiries.

Tesla have secured OEC funding to install chargers at the University of Wollongong campus on Auckland Street. However, there is some flexibility in location under the funding, and Tesla are seeking a more suitable site with greater capacity."
A further news article at the time of above meeting about it,

"Tesla has already secured NSW Government funding to install chargers at the University of Wollongong campus on Auckland Street in Bega; however, it has sought a more suitable site that could service more vehicles."

And now council has put out an 'expression of interest' request from relevant parties on use of public sites for EV charging,

Given the previous unsolicited contact from Evie, Tesla and RACV Solar I presume that this notice would have been sent to them directly.

Evie and some others also tagged in facebook notice,
Screenshot_20230610-103514.png

So with public sites essentially opened up for tender, Tesla may end up with a more suitable and/or larger than 6 stall site in Bega.

Reactions: Chuq and moa999
Everything seems to have gone quiet on the NSW Government’s EV Master Plan 🤔

The results of the Stage 2 fast charging grants should have been announced by now… the grants opened early Dec 2022 and the timeline in the guidelines document indicated 26 weeks to contract awarding. So far, crickets.

All of the previous Government’s media releases and statements about its EV strategy have been wiped from the NSW Government servers.

The EV strategy dashboard has not been updated since 31 December:

And the new NSW Treasurer Daniel Mookhey is threatening a brutal first budget with the usual new Government claims of black holes being discovered in the finances and the dreaded ERC (aka the Razor Gang) is out to find savings:

All in all, I hope this doesn’t mean swingeing cuts to this programme. DCFCs is NSW are barely keeping ahead of demand 😬

Evie with 2x units, servicing 4x spaces. The renders look like PKM150 units.
Commenting on the Ampol thread reminded me about this one.

The original requirement from NSW gov for funding was for minimum 300kW for each of 2 cars charging at a time or a minimum 140kW for each of 4 car charging. With these PKM units they will only really be getting half that requirement. It is possible this was negotiated away but I think that might be starting to water it down a bit much. Given Evie Networks close ties with Tritium are they really planning on using the up coming 400kW PKM units talked about in passing here,
(Interesting discussion in itself on how the PKM charging architecture works in itself. It helps solidify and confirm my understanding of the units which I had misunderstood earlier and more recently started to get. The power/voltage matching DC-DC units in the Tritium PKM architecture are in the PKM unit with the charging cables unlike Tesla and Kempower where these powers units along with the rectifiers are in the remote cabinets. Not sure that this is superior as implied by Kyle and Tritium Reps just different. First rep does not have a deep understanding and Kyle sort of has to ask leading questions to really get to it. The second guy is an/the actual engineer of the products and is better.)

Also wonder where BP will end up with their drive NSW funded sites given their so far exclusive install of PKM units. Will it be the same deal as Evie, whatever that turns out to be, or will they see some diversity in their chargers in those installs.

• Informative
Reactions: Hairyman
"Contacted Tesla representative for initial discussion about charging station in Narrabri. After discussion, Engineering, Planning and Economic Development scouted around Narrabri for a suitable location. Identified two possible sites with a focus onone at the southern end of the Visitor Information Centre. Economic Developmentprovided Tesla representative with an overhead map of the site and discussed in detail, its position to town, local businesses, the Visitor Information Centre,open spaces, toilets, etc which is in keeping with their criteria requirements. Invited the Tesla representative to come to Narrabri and Economic Development took him to the site, pointed out all of the relevant amenities and locationsof interest. Further, took him around Narrabri so he received a strongunderstanding of the town and Shire. The result being that Tesla has advised that they have included Narrabri in a funding application they are about to make to potentially develop in town."
Bit of story of how a pro-active council, Narrabri, got into the Tesla Drive NSW electric funding bid.

• One I haven't added (Parkes) since there wasn't enough detail in the address and the street name happened to be the main street of the town.
1690179830290.png

1690179563517.png

1690179141509.png

1690179351561.png

Probable location of the Parkes Supercharger. Although the committee meeting does not mention Tesla by name it matches the quantity of the Drive NSW Electric funding. Although this was mentioned in a Council Meeting it is only an acceptance of a report from the 'Parkes Traffic Committee'. I cannot see a vote from the council proper on whether this charging site itself was approved. The address does not match the announced location in Drive NSW Electric, which was just a pretty broad 'Peak Hill Road, Parkes', though this committee meeting post dates the Drive NSW electric announcement.

Reactions: cafz
Probable location of the Parkes Supercharger. Although the committee meeting does not mention Tesla by name it matches the quantity of the Drive NSW Electric funding. Although this was mentioned in a Council Meeting it is only an acceptance of a report from the 'Parkes Traffic Committee'. I cannot see a vote from the council proper on whether this charging site itself was approved. The address does not match the announced location in Drive NSW Electric, which was just a pretty broad 'Peak Hill Road, Parkes', though this committee meeting post dates the Drive NSW electric announcement.
Great find! By itself it's only a guess that it would be Tesla but given it was on the NSW plan, that pretty much locks it in. I've added to supercharge.info, same as the others.