Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
  • Want to remove ads? Register an account and login to see fewer ads, and become a Supporting Member to remove almost all ads.
  • Tesla's Supercharger Team was recently laid off. We discuss what this means for the company on today's TMC Podcast streaming live at 1PM PDT. You can watch on X or on YouTube where you can participate in the live chat.

Nuclear power

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
A picture is worth a thousand words, that picture shows a fuel which needs thousands of years before it becomes less toxic if any accident were to happen to it during manufacture, use or storage.

Nuclear power has A LOT of challenges to overcome... usually if a solution isn't found in ~50 years it's probably because it never existed.... That doesn't mean you can't respect and marvel at how incredibly energy dense it is; If you wanted to drive a car that got ~30mpg 15B miles you would need ~60 of these...

supertanker-m-star.jpg

IMO cost is still the primary hurdle. Dry Cask storage is effective for waste disposal but still somewhat unpopular.

This guy (David MacKay) does a good job of covering the entire field of energy use and generation and some paths to sustainable energy.
http://www.withouthotair.com/
It's not something that you can cover quickly but this guy does it in a few hundred pages.

Wasn't the main idea of McKay's book that solar and wind can't replace fossil energy and that the only feasible option is nuclear? Was a while since I read it.

Wasn't the main idea of McKay's book that solar and wind can't replace fossil energy and that the only feasible option is nuclear? Was a while since I read it.

As with most things... the devil is in the details...

I'm definitely going to read the book more thoroughly but the two things that jumped out at me were on pg 103.

- Heating/Cooling ~37kWh/d
- Car ~40kWh/d

~40kWh/day.... as an AVERAGE? That's >35k miles/yr.... who drives that much? And his heating/cooling assumptions must have been assuming low SEER or resistance or oil heat. Which is odd for Britain... it's a temperate country and heat pumps should work well everywhere.

Those two items alone would give the win to his 'green' column.

To ask the question 'Can we power our would as it exists with 100% renewables' is absurd on it's face... If we're going to make such a dramatic shift in our production... obviously we're going to make an equally dramatic shift in our consumption. LEDs and other forms of efficiency have already saved more energy than all the solar and wind turbines have produced. Even a seemingly in-depth analysis can miss some obvious points...

If I remember correctly, the writer uses potential thermal energy of gasoline instead of electrical KWh. Since 1 gallon is a bout 34Kwh thermal, that's about 365 gallons per yer, which is not too far off. That kind of energy apples to oranges mixing put me off initially.

.... he's also assuming ICE... not EV... 100% EV for cars is a lower bar than 100% renewables for the grid.

Maybe you could summarize those five plans for us here with sources? Here is short video summary of main points of Without Hot Air in 18 minutes. Granted there is no solution recommended at the end, but its hard to miss what he is hinting at.

.... let's narrow this down a bit....

Are you cynical that we can cost-effectively harvest sufficient energy from renewables? Cynical that we can cost effectively store sufficient energy from renewables?

I'd rather not waste time building a straw man...

You appear to agree that sufficient energy is already available on an annual basis... where's the breakdown?

Ah, that's obvious. Explain how are you going to tap that 23,000TWy and feed it into my power outlet:
1. At availability 99.97% or better
2. At cost equal or cheaper than existing fossil tech
3. At near zero CO2 emissions.
4. Within 50 years
I expect to see total cost, natural resources and scale of mobilization required. Anything else is just dreaming.

Phase 1 (Today - ~2020)
Where we are now is REALLY easy... you just slap some panels on your roof, no need to worry about storage or "self-consumption". To the grid your PV array just looks like reduced load.
Solar is cheaper per kWh than nuclear... even today.

Phase 2 (~2020 - ~2035)
Hawaii and Germany are either here now or getting close... When peak power is 80%+ of demand you're still <20% of total generation. Most grid-tie inverters CANNOT regulate voltage and frequency. They are on or off; they are inverting 100% of what's available from the panels or they produce nothing. This would need to change to expand past ~20%. Germany has "smart" inverters that can be active participants in grid stability. When frequency gets too high they can curtail power or preferably divert power into a battery bank. Demand Response and small amounts of storage become critical. SMA has already developed solutions. They are starting to bundle inverters with a 4kWh battery pack and they've got what's called the "Sunny home manager" http://www.sma.de/en/home-syst... I wrote an anti-net-metering blog and this is why... we've got to dump "net-metering" LONG before "phase 2" Investments in "smart home" technology are worthless with "net-metering" in place. Solar "would" start to lose it's cost advantage with nuclear... but as the capacity factor of nuclear falls the capital costs increase on a per kWh basis.

Phase 3 (~2035 - ~2050)
IMO going from 80% => 100% wind/solar is probably going to be harder than 0% => 80%. My prediction is that we'll likely have sufficient solar PV installed to completely displace fossil fuels but be unable to due to a lack of storage and the disparity between summer/winter insolation... but... unlike nuclear, so long as it's cheaper to install solar than import power from the grid we will continue to build out solar PV FAR beyond what is 'needed'. The path to >80% solar/wind is probably the day when we've got so much excess energy during the summer months that there's nothing better to do with that extra energy than split water. The hydrogen can then be stored for later use.

#3 is simply confusing... there are no net CO2 emissions with renewables...

COST;

SCALE;
Unknown-1.jpeg

Solar-Market-Growth.png

Dude... who is proposing that solar + wind alone can carry the grid?

You wrote that wind and solar compliment each other very well. I showed that they do not.

What point are you failing to get at?

- We should stop installing wind and solar?
- We should pay ~twice as much for nuclear?
- Or do you enjoy stating the obvious point that we need storage... in a really weird round about way...

I am trying to establish the facts we need to be able to get an idea of the cost of the grid you propose.

The ENERGY... sorry... the energy is there... you just need to capture it and disperse it as needed and/or consume it when available...

I'm aware that the energy is there, but the fact that there are vast amounts of energy out there is actually utterly irrelevant. The relevant question is whether it's possible to capture and tame it so it can be used to power society, and that is not obvious at all. If an energy generation system is to be useful, it needs to produce several times more energy than we spend building, maintaining and operating it. Those who have studied EROI and it's impact on society seem to think that an EROI of about 10:1 is required to keep society running. Otherwise, we will be spending so much effort building and maintaining energy systems that we don't have enough time for other activities. And it might be that nuclear power does not seem so expensive after all, if we can put some numbers to this nebulous "ENOUGH" bit, even if the EROI of a system based on wind and solar turns out to be sufficiently high to work in theory.

Anyway, before we can estimate the storage system, we need to figure out how other possible components might help.

The basic problem with demand response and V2G is that there are limits to how long you can ask people to wait, otherwise the system rapidly loses its usefulness. Would I be willing to sell power from my Model S to the grid? Sure, if I get paid sufficently well for the service. But I need the car - that's why I paid a heap of hard earned cash for it. So if they propose that I sell my energy without being able to get it back for a week, my answer is "no". I'd be hatching schemes to power my fridge with that energy instead, so I have something to eat when transportation breaks down.

It's the same thing with fridges, water heaters, aluminium smelters, you name it. Time shift demand a few hours? OK. Time shift for a week? No way. So demand response doesn't reduce the required size of the storage system at all. It will probably help reduce day to day losses and wear in the storage system, though.

Hydro is great, when you happen to have it. Many places don't. It does have serious environmental costs, but in my opinion they are a much lesser evil compared to fossil fuels. 16 % of the world's electricity is from hydro. I think it's unlikely to increase its share. The industrialized countries have already built all the hydro they can, and in developing countries, consumption is rising.

Many people think geothermal is a large renewable energy source. It isn't, except in some very rare hotspots, like Iceland. See Ch 16 Page 96: Sustainable Energy - without the hot air | David MacKay. Geothermal energy can safely be ignored.

Biomass is a dispatchable, renewable energy source. However, it's very limited. Even with second generation biofuels, the growth rate of plants is just too slow. All biofuel we can get our hands on will be needed for aviation and long haul transportation. In fact, aviation will probably require all of it, so we'll have to think of something else for trucks, ships and trains. See "solar biomass" here: Ch 6 Page 42: Sustainable Energy - without the hot air | David MacKay. There are also environmental costs to industrializing all plant growth.

There is one more renewable energy source that is actually fully dispatchable - ocean tides. See MacKay for a British estimate. That estimate is probably much better than the world average, because Britain has a lot of tide which is relatively easy to harvest. MacKay calculates that tidal energy could conceivably meet about 5 % of Britain's total energy needs, but this requires country-sized installations. Let's assume that 5 % of electricity demand is achievable for the rest of the world. I think that's wildly optimistic.

Finally, there is wave power. Wave power is especially useful because it will almost certainly last for a few days after the wind dies down, so it's slightly out of phase with wind. It's also fairly energy dense, so it can relatively easily be harvested. However, there is very little coastline per person, and only coastlines downwind of a couple of thousand km of open ocean can be used. MacKay's very ambitious number works out to about 2 % of British energy demand, and Britain has a truly world-class wave resource. Let's put the world average at 0.4 % and round down.

To summarize:

Grid integration doesn't help.
Solar plus wind is no better than either of them alone.
Demand response: Doesn't work at the required time scale.
Hydro: Works very well, it's a shame there's so little of it.
Geothermal has a vanishingly small potential.
Biomass is needed for transportation.
Tidal energy can make a small, but real contribution.
Wave energy has a potential almost large enough to bother counting.

All the rest will have to come from the storage system.

To estimate cost we need to determine the required power and capacity of the storage system. The numbers seem to indicate that in an average country, it will have to be able to handle about 80 % of peak power demand, and to avoid losing energy it needs to be able to recharge at a much higher rate. Capacity and cost will have to wait for another post.

Last edited:
You wrote that wind and solar compliment each other very well. I showed that they do not.

?????????? Which statement is wrong......

- Solar PV produces no energy at night
- Most of the energy produced by wind.... is at night
- Solar PV produces more energy during the summer
- Wind produces more energy during the winter

So.... either

- One of these statements is wrong (spoiler alert: they're all true for most locations)
- Solar and Wind do complement each other
- you don't understand the meaning of the word 'compliment'....

Annual-solar-+-wind-production-in-Germany-2013-by-day.jpg

I understand that this appears off-topic but I respectfully disagree... any discussion around nuclear generally surrounds the question, 'Can we do without it... is there a viable alternative that can replace it'. If the answer to that question is no... then we're going to have to find a way to make nuclear work. The basic premise of my argument against the expansion of nuclear power is;

The root qualities of nuclear power; High cost to build, Low cost to operate... necessitate a high capacity factor that is simply not compatible with a grid ecosystem with highly variable renewables.

Last edited:
.... he's also assuming ICE... not EV... 100% EV for cars is a lower bar than 100% renewables for the grid.

No, you really need to read the whole book.

MacKay is a doctor of physics and professor, and was the chief scientific advisor to the UK Department of Energy and Climate Change until 2014. He's a careful scientist.

He first breaks down and estimates all of Britain's energy consumption. Then he proposes five different plans to eliminate CO2 emissions in ways that will continue to work for a long time. EVs and heat pumps are a necessary part of all of his solutions. But not of his estimates of current consumption, obviously, as there are hardly any EVs or heat pumps in Britain.

- - - Updated - - -

?????????? Which statement is wrong......

When you try to estimate the cost of something, you often have to look for the worst case.

I showed you real data, from a whole, largish country, where there is next to zero solar AND next to zero wind for a whole week. So in the worst case, which is also the defining case, wind and solar do not compliment each other.

You can find these situations by glancing at the data for any year you wish, so I'm sure that's not the worst case that's ever been seen.

Your proposed energy system needs to be able to handle this, or society breaks down.

Last edited:
You know what? I'm actually on board with trying to go mostly solar for world electricity needs. A big part of that is Tesla finally leading the way in building a huge battery factory and coming up with nicely packaged commercial grid storage solutions. Too many solar supporters try to explain away how you can get by without grid storage or just don't offer any solution to solar intermittency, when what is really needed is giant battery factories and commercial grid storage products. Solar supporters and the entire world at large owe Tesla a huge thanks for doing this; I think people greatly underestimate how important the Tesla PowerWall and PowerPack are.

What I'm not okay with is treating nuclear power like it is some evil that must be buried and never used again. Nuclear power is a big part of how the universe works. Nuclear reactions and radiation are everywhere around us. A society more advanced than us, something we should always be striving to become, will have a mastery of this fundamental power of the universe, and will be able to use it safely and effectively. We must therefore always respect it and continue to learn to harness it, even if only in research labs. In the end, it will have it's uses, even if the entire world goes solar for electricity. One example is for deep space exploration.

Imagine some future or alien advanced civilization that can travel the universe. The stars will not be masters of such civilization. Rather, such civilization will be a master of the stars.

No, you really need to read the whole book.

In that specific instance... on pg 103... saying a car consumes ~40kWh/day... is either assuming ICE or an EV that drives ~35k miles/yr. Both are absurd in a future world with significant levels of renewables...

I showed you real data, from a whole, largish country, where there is next to zero solar AND next to zero wind for a whole week. So in the worst case, which is also the defining case, wind and solar do not compliment each other.

Ah... so IYO... a few windless nights invalidates all the other windy nights and windless days... which brings us back to 'storage'... Solar and Wind compliment each other in that wind reduces how much storage/solar you would need in the winter/nights and solar reduces how much wind/storage you would need in the summer/days... that's what is meant by 'they compliment each other'... which of the four point do you think your real world data opposed? What's your definition of compliment? That as the sun sets and solar production drops from 1GW to 500MW that 500MW of wind immediately ramps up? Is that really what you thought I meant? That's why we also need... say it with me.... S.T.O.R.A.G.E....... But.... guess what... thanks to how wind works... most wind energy is produced at night/winter... when there is less solar production... not all of it.... and not in perfect harmony with the drop in solar production.... but most of it.

So you agree that those four statements are correct but still somehow disagree that wind compliments solar..... ok..... we obviously have different definitions of the word 'compliment'... allow me to rephrase; most wind energy is produced at times that do not match when most solar energy is produced...

What I'm not okay with is treating nuclear power like it is some evil that must be buried and never used again.

I don't think nuclear is evil... I'm not opposed to further R&D on nuclear so long as it's reasonable. My definition of reasonable is ~750:1 ratio of solar/wind/storage buildout : nuclear R&D. I fully support new nuclear... if they can get the cost down to ~$2/w. I also firmly believe that we need to keep existing nuclear plants running as long as possible, subsidized (within reason <$0.50/kWh) if necessary.

I thought of a good analogy to explain my position on new nuclear; Ages ago I worked at PetSmart selling fish. Invariably someone would want to put a cool looking predatory fish in with the cute snack sized fish. I would explain that the cute snack sized fish would just become really expensive fish food.

We need to choose... allow the free market to grow wind and solar OR build more nuclear plants; Sadly those two worlds are simply not compatible. If you build a $7/w nuclear plant... and get curtailed every day at noon when the sun shines and every morning because the wind in blowing... you're going to go bankrupt.

Want to build a cool new nuclear plant? Fine, then you need to pass legislation that protects it from intermittent and cheap wind/solar production.

Want the free market to build the cheapest clean energy generators? Fine, stop wasting money on >$7/w nuclear plants that are going to become stranded capital in ~10 years.

Last edited:
In that specific instance... on pg 103... saying a car consumes ~40kWh/day... is either assuming ICE or an EV that drives ~35k miles/yr. Both are absurd in a future world with significant levels of renewables...

First he breaks down and estimates current British energy consumption. The 40 kWh/d figure on page 103 was first calculated on page 29. This is in the first part of the book, called "Numbers, not adjectives". It's important to first find out where we are, to be able to improve the situation. Then he sets about improving things. This is the second part of the book, called "Making a difference". "Better cars" starts on page 124, in the chapter called "Better transportation". It's all very nicely and logically laid out, I'm pretty sure you could have found it if you actually tried. He estimates that EVs consume about a quarter as much energy as ICE cars. Because he both improves cars and shifts some transport from cars to public transportation at the same time, the final numbers for improved transportation appear in his proposed plans, starting on page 203.

Please don't force me to spoon feed you the whole book.

Ah... so IYO... a few windless nights invalidates all the other windy nights and windless days...

No, that's not just my opinion. That's how you figure out how big/strong/whatever something needs to be. If you want to build a house in a snowy area, you need to know how much snow can possibly be lying on the roof at any one time. If you want to build an offshore oil rig, you need to know the size of the largest wave the rig might encounter during its lifetime. You have to consider the worst case.

which brings us back to 'storage'... Solar and Wind compliment each other in that wind reduces how much storage/solar you would need in the winter/nights and solar reduces how much wind/storage you would need in the summer/days... that's what is meant by 'they compliment each other'... which of the four point do you think your real world data opposed? What's your definition of compliment? That as the sun sets and solar production drops from 1GW to 500MW that 500MW of wind immediately ramps up? Is that really what you thought I meant? That's why we also need... say it with me.... S.T.O.R.A.G.E....... But.... guess what... thanks to how wind works... most wind energy is produced at night/winter... when there is less solar production... not all of it.... and not in perfect harmony with the drop in solar production.... but most of it.

Do you agree that the data for that week in November leads to the conclusion that something other than solar and wind must cover almost all of the demand for a whole week?

Are you thinking of longer time periods than a single week? That would certainly be necessary to be able to say that wind and solar compliment each other, as they surely did not during that week we're discussing. I can assure you that increasing the period will not make storage any easier, but we'll get to that.

Want the free market to build the cheapest clean energy generators? Fine, stop wasting money on >$7/w nuclear plants that are going to become stranded capital in ~10 years.

If the free market does not lead to clean energy generators, but to death and destruction - what then?

Last edited:
Because he both improves cars and shifts some transport from cars to public transportation at the same time, the final numbers for improved transportation appear in his proposed plans, starting on page 203.

Hmmm.... yeah.... little disingenuous to use a 2008 ICE figure to highlight how difficult a 2040 problem is... The title of that page is 'Can we live on Renewables?' implied answer is 'no' supported by ~40kWh/d car consumption...

No, that's not just my opinion. That's how you figure out how big/strong/whatever something needs to be. If you want to build a house in a snowy area, you need to know how much snow can possibly be lying on the roof at any one time. If you want to build an offshore oil rig, you need to know the size of the largest wave the rig might encounter during its lifetime. You're looking for the worst case.

......... what? ok.... I'm done saying the same thing 7 different ways... Most wind energy is at night and in the winter; Most solar energy is during the day and summer... that's all.... do I really need to say it again? S.T.O.R.A.G.E.........

If the free market does not lead to clean energy generators, but to death and destruction - what then?

I suppose that ones on me for assuming... obviously we need to fix the market failures with a carbon tax.

What's your solution? More $7/w nuclear plants? Sorry... my bet is on $2/w wind, $1/w solar and $100/kWh storage.

Hmmm.... yeah.... little disingenuous to use a 2008 ICE figure to highlight how difficult a 2040 problem is... The title of that page is 'Can we live on Renewables?' implied answer is 'no' supported by ~40kWh/d car consumption...

Well, I guess he assumed that people would read more than just the chapter titles.

......... what? ok.... I'm done saying the same thing 7 different ways... Most wind energy is at night and in the winter; Most solar energy is during the day and summer... that's all.... do I really need to say it again? S.T.O.R.A.G.E.........

What part of "almost zero solar output and almost zero wind output for a week" do you not understand?

An estimate of the cost of your nice and shiny storage system is precisely what I'm working towards. Before that can be done, we have to figure out what power and storage capacity it needs to have.

Re the complementarity of wind and solar: the answer is highly dependent on location. In California, the wind farms are sited primarily in mountain passes where wind is created by a "bellows effect" between the Pacific Ocean and the Central Valley; there's a lot of wind early and late in the day, but very light winds mid-day. Thus in California, wind and solar work well together. Here's a fairly typical day. Obviously, installed solar has grown substantially since then, but the pattern hasn't changed.
CA Wind-Solar.png

Thank you Robert... from what I remember in my sailing class I believe that pattern holds true for most places...

What part of "almost zero solar output and almost zero wind output for a week" do you not understand?

Ummmm..... all of it.... and I'm just gonna start reposting...

But.... guess what... thanks to how wind works... most wind energy is produced at night/winter... when there is less solar production... not all of it.... and not in perfect harmony with the drop in solar production.... but most of it.

Yeah..... pretty..... pretty sure none of that implied that a week without wind wasn't impossible........... kinda why I keep repeating myself in terms the need for storage......................... what part of storage don't you understand?

You never decided... more $7 nuclear and anti-solar/wind laws or pass a carbon tax and may the best generator win? Which fish do you want swimming in your grid tank? The cute fission fish or the wind/solar/storage/hydo/tidal etc fish? I know you want both... but you're just going to be buying really expensive fish food if you put a new fission fish in with the free market (& Carbon Tax) driven wind/solar/storage fish...

On Grid Storage;

To point to the current lack of grid storage as a reason renewables can't carry the grid in the future is even sillier than using 40kWh/d consumption assumption for cars. If I go outside right now... I would be defenseless against tigers... does that mean that I couldn't prepare and defend myself if I need to? Of course not. There has been little to no incentive to develop large scale storage. I read a study recently that grid storage can actually increase carbon emissions with our current grid since it takes energy to store energy and wind/solar penetrations still have a few years to get to levels where it's necessary.

When we start getting high levels of stranded energy... with no hope of future transmission lines providing a market... there are storage methods that could carry the grid for weeks cost-effectively that we don't use (on that scale) because there is currently no need. Some may only have a round trip efficiency of ~60-70% but energy that would have been curtailed if it wasn't stored is free in nearly every sense of the word.

We've barely scratched the surface on storage methods....

Compressed Air Storage;
Pumped Storage;
Hydrogen Storage;
Aluminum Battery;
Gravity Storage;
Vanadium Flow;
Rail-Gravity Storage;

We won't need storage on the scale to carry the grid for a week for another ~15 years... predicting cost is about as productive as predicting todays solar cost 15 years ago... who thought solar would be ~$1.30/w today 15 years ago? No one. Many storage methods are incredibly simple... and very likely to be equally cheap.

First we won't need any generation for a few days.... then a week... then a few weeks.... then a month... in ~20 years we may only need generation a few weeks a year.... then a few days every couple years....

Last edited: