Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Number of batteries replaced on model S / X since 2012

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I was wondering. Is there a statistic of how many batteries have been replaced by Tesla on model s since 2012?
This is because I would like to buy a model S September 2015, and I'm thrilled by the idea what can happens once the warranty will be expired.. what is the likelihood that the machine will need battery replacement after the warranty has expired?... no-one knows..

This is because I would like to buy a model S September 2015, and I'm thrilled by the idea what can happens once the warranty will be expired.. what is the likelihood that the machine will need battery replacement after the warranty has expired?... no-one knows..
I do know that batteries are consumable items so they will need to be replaced if not sooner then later.

The machine will definitely need a new battery after the warranty expires, one just cannot determine when that might be. Other lithium batteries in Hybrid cars have 10+ years normal life expectancy. I have read where Tesla designs the battery for 15 years. Some go bad within the first 4 years, some before the 8 year battery warranty. Just like a ICE car engine or tranny going bad 10 years into ownership, you will need to consider if it is worth it. I believe in the next 5 years, repair of the battery will be commonplace, and by shops outside of Tesla. The car is still worth money with a dead battery today, as is the battery for recycling.

Reactions: Plood
Suggestion: Assume a battery lasts for 10 years. If the cost is $20,000, then put $2000 per year into your battery fund (adjust these numbers to match your own expectations). If you buy used, add the $2000 per year at the outset for existing age (if you can't afford it, you may be buying outside your capacity and may regret it later).

That should change an issue that is steeped in fear, emotional, and uncertain, into a simple economic matter.

You might consider putting it into TSLA stock. A friend who passed on FSD 4 years ago and put the cost into TSLA ended up essentially with a free car.

It raises the question of whether TSLA might be a good hedge against future price increases of Tesla vehicles for an intended future buyer. Today's $800 per share may be an excellent entry point. My wife has her eye on an X in the next few years and we're doing just this. My target scenario is that we buy periodically as it reaches a low of $500, and recovers to $1000 in a couple years, and end up with a very discounted car. Of course, there are taxes on the gains (wish it could be a like-kind exchange).

But that's off topic. I note that those who have a car as a business vehicle can expense the expensive battery replacement.