Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Numberplates Stolen - Model Y

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
No Sentry mode, but not sure what help that would be in this case.

Police have recovered the last set of plates. The last time they unclipped the Tesla branded bracket so it was an easy removal. We stuck the new plates on with 3M tape to the brackets that are bolted to the car, underneath the clip-off ones. Assume the tape did its job that’s why they ripped the whole bracket off, screws and all.

First theft was in London, second in Windsor.

Whereabouts in windsor? I live here with my Tesla model Y so will try and avoid that location..

This is exactly what I was told by police
knowing it has been reported stolen it would be good if they could put a flag on it so if it triggers any cameras someone reviews it to see if the car make and model matches. before issuing any speeding / toll road fines etc but I doubt that will happen
Given what they can do with cameras now they ought to be able to automatically check if the car attached to a plate is the same colour and model as its registered to but that would be very expensive to implement and run and I doubt anyone wants to spend the money.

knowing it has been reported stolen it would be good if they could put a flag on it so if it triggers any cameras someone reviews it to see if the car make and model matches. before issuing any speeding / toll road fines etc but I doubt that will happen
Given what they can do with cameras now they ought to be able to automatically check if the car attached to a plate is the same colour and model as its registered to but that would be very expensive to implement and run and I doubt anyone wants to spend the money.

its quite a difficult thing to solve especially if they want to evntually do road pricing - this would be rife (but presumably would increase in attention from DVLA/police?)

They will know a Tesla is ULEZ ( and possibly, if registered, congestion zone) exempt so put them on another car and you can drive around London FoC so long as the police don't notice you
I meant maybe the reg could be sought after if it has a particular meaning due to the combination of letters & numbers that OP might not have realised?

I know about ULEZ but I didn’t think a thief would be stupid enough to put the plate of a different make/model onto their car. I would imagine in London where you cannot drive more than a few minutes before triggering an ANPR camera that this would get you immediately pulled over as the mismatch would be apparent?
The only thing I knew existed was cloning the plate, especially as Tesla are virtually indistinguishable from each other given the limited choice of colours (5), and alloys (2).

Good luck to OP anyway!

I know about ULEZ but I didn’t think a thief would be stupid enough to put the plate of a different make/model onto their car. I would imagine in London where you cannot drive more than a few minutes before triggering an ANPR camera that this would get you immediately pulled over as the mismatch would be apparent?
The fixed ANPR cameras do nothing but record what plates they see and the date, time and location. If the reg is on a watchlist then it’ll raise an alert to be investigated. The ones on police vehicles do the same and check against the database of known “bad-uns” to allow them to make a racket there and then. Of they have the live display on they might spot that the car doesn’t match the recorded details, but the cameras are usually recording multiple new regs a second so it’s hard to do. It’s usually picked up when they’re suspicious about a vehicle already.

In the future the kit should be able to do some level of recognition of, say, a red car on the database not being red when it passes the camera. But to detect a different make/model would be hard given the variety out there. Any road pricing scheme will have to use something a damn sight more secure than black letters!

Reactions: Mrklaw
Both sets of stolen plates had the green tag on them. The combination of letters / numbers is seemingly completely random, can’t imagine there being any desire for the plate for that reason.

Police warned that I may get pulled over as the legit plates on my car would trigger the ANPR cameras on police cars, but after 5 weeks I’ve not had anything happen so it seems that you may be able to use the stolen plates without issue for a little while.

Have to say both times the police have been really helpful and quick to get in contact after reporting, for something so insignificant.