Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Numberplates Stolen - Model Y

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
There are approved fonts and sizes now. However, out here in the sticks you still see DIY dodgy jobs hanging from the back of trailers and farm stuff.
It’s not difficult to just print off letters via PC and turn them into stencils, or paint over them neatly with weatherproof stuff and make your own plates. But they’re cheap enough to buy that not worth it.

5 weeks later and the plates on our car have been stolen again, broad daylight in a big public car park 2 hours from home. Brackets and bolts ripped off from the bumper this time around so I need to source new plate mounting brackets from Tesla.
I unfortunately found out that my breakdown policy doesn’t cover ‘vandalism’ so not able to get the car recovered. Insurance would recover it, but it would be a fault claim on the policy and I’d lose my NCB. Going to carry a spare set of plates in the car from now on, absurd.

5 weeks later and the plates on our car have been stolen again, broad daylight in a big public car park 2 hours from home. Brackets and bolts ripped off from the bumper this time around so I need to source new plate mounting brackets from Tesla.
I unfortunately found out that my breakdown policy doesn’t cover ‘vandalism’ so not able to get the car recovered. Insurance would recover it, but it would be a fault claim on the policy and I’d lose my NCB. Going to carry a spare set of plates in the car from now on, absurd.
I see you're in London... where exactly did this happen so I can avoid that area!? For real though, gutted for you.

Get a stick on front plate and rear acrylic plate stuck on with 3m tape, like I've done. No ones stealing my plates to re-use them on another car...

Speaking of, I took the bracing off my front bumper and stuck it on with tape. It's starting to peel off now though so clearly I didn't do it right or used the wrong tape... what tape did you use if you don't mind sharing a link?

I’m surprised that they go to the trouble of ripping the brackets and screws off.

It takes literally 5 seconds to remove (and about the same to replace) a Tesla number plate without causing any damage to bodywork, bracket or mountings.

Many years ago when I had a number plate stolen I replaced it with a spare one that I had on retention. That then made the stolen number plate null and void so could be easily detected and prevented a whole load of potential grief for me. I also found it amusing that I driving around a Smart car with a personalised number plate bought for a F-type Jag.

I’m surprised that they go to the trouble of ripping the brackets and screws off.

It takes literally 5 seconds to remove (and about the same to replace) a Tesla number plate without causing any damage to bodywork, bracket or mountings.
That is true but only if you know how to do it. Its not particularly obvious how the holder comes apart. People have posted on here before asking how to change the number plate because they could not figure it out.
OR
maybe they wanted the holder as well as the plate?

Reactions: Durzel
Can't believe this happened to you twice in a little more than a month??!
Does the stolen plates make any kind of particular meaning for people to want it that bad?
Yes, as suggested in previous posts, you should use vinyl stick-on plates now. And as you have now two sets of plates in the wild, personally I would think about getting a different reg (maybe ask DVLA if they can swap it due to these repeated thefts, or go for a private one)

That is true but only if you know how to do it. Its not particularly obvious how the holder comes apart. People have posted on here before asking how to change the number plate because they could not figure it out.
OR
maybe they wanted the holder as well as the plate?
No Sentry mode, but not sure what help that would be in this case.

Police have recovered the last set of plates. The last time they unclipped the Tesla branded bracket so it was an easy removal. We stuck the new plates on with 3M tape to the brackets that are bolted to the car, underneath the clip-off ones. Assume the tape did its job that’s why they ripped the whole bracket off, screws and all.

First theft was in London, second in Windsor.

• Helpful
Reactions: Mrklaw
Speaking of, I took the bracing off my front bumper and stuck it on with tape. It's starting to peel off now though so clearly I didn't do it right or used the wrong tape... what tape did you use if you don't mind sharing a link?
I used this tape 20 x NUMBER PLATE STICKY PADS 3M Double Sided Number Plate Tape Fixings | eBay but only on the rear plate that sticks to a fairly flat surface. On the front I used a ProPlates - EV Number plates - Stick On (sticker) / Front

Reactions: QuanTim