Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Numerology on Twitter

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
you can see the 5:1 stock split, the S&P 500 inclusion, something weird happening in June, 2021, when the SP slope went positive!! (yay!!) AND something happening the last 6-8 weeks along with the slope of the SP going more positive, there is some kind of "day new mont".
It would be nice to get the cumulative aggregate losses of shorts of $60 Billion in or next to those perhaps, with $10-11 Billion this year since the losses seem to both growing and accelerating
It is an awesome analysis, even though I do not understand 1/2 of it, I've learned a lot from the other half :).

I am trying to understand why the last two small events (June ??? and Last6-8wks) have such a strong signal when compared with 5:1 split and S&P inclusion events, which quantitatively should have been much bigger deal. I thought of 3 explanations, which all can be correct and all can be wrong:

hypothesis 1.
5:1 split and S&P were anticipated external events and gave naked shorts lead time to cover, while the last two events were unexpected market imbalances.

hypothesis 2.
Shorts sensitivity to quick positive SP moves has increased, maybe the naked to covered short ratio is higher than in the past. I seemd to remembered that @Artful Dodger modelled 1:1 naked:covered ratio in the past - maybe it is 1.x:1 now, maybe sth else about shorts have changed? Still, I have no explanation why it would be the case.

hypothesis 3.
The way @winfield100 prepared data for last 6 months is a bit different than for earlier period ( I do not think it is the case I am just putting it here for completeness)

Of course I would love to think that hypothesis 2 is correct, but I have no solid reasons to think so and wishful thinking is a horrible trap when reasoning about investments.

Would love to read what others think.

There are two big differences this time around vs. Aug-Sep 2020:
  1. Tesla does NOT need a cap raise (Elon just turned down a €1.1B bty plant grant to accelerate the Giga Berlin approval - 'time is money')
  2. Elon is setting numerous bear-traps for naked shorting of TSLA (little warning of Aug 31, 2020 split; huge number of clues pointing at Dec 9, 2021)
Two big similarities this time w. Aug-Sep 2020:
  1. the share price ($1,374 on Aug 11, 2020 vs $1,230 on Nov 4, 2021)
  2. Short Interest has NOT gone down (shortzes are now over $30B short TSLA)
If their are in fact naked shorts caught out by the coming share dividend, then look for a jump in FTD reports beginning about Jan 13, 2022 (I'm not sure of the data release schedule for Jan 2022, but that's 13 days after Dividend shares first begin trading on Mon, Dec 27, 2021).

I predict naked short shares to begin showing up as FTD reports during the 1st reporting cycle after the distribution of dividend shares (when people see how many other shares aren't being delivered). This will initiate 'crunch time', as people realize the market isn't functioning properly.
"Fails Data Availability:
  • The first half of a given month is available at the end of the month.
  • The second half of a given month is available at about the 15th of the next month."
  • SEC.gov | Fails-to-Deliver Data
so, November 1st 1/2 due out Wed, December 1,
December 1st 1/2 due January 1st (or 2nd)
looks like ~15-30 day oscillating lag time, 1st and 15th of the month
So we _may_ get Dec 27 - 31st by 1/15/2022...

(we get nothing for November until december 1, then 2nd 1/2 of November we get December 15th if i read it correctly)

I think there are at least 7! ways to add up those 7 digits, so there are 5040 different ways to add up those numbers (possibly more). So the fact that ONE of them is 69 is not at all surprising.
7! would be the count if and only if the sequence of addition were important, but it's not (Transitive property of addition). If we were simply adding each digit there would be only a single unique sum, not 5040 unique sums.

All we did here was add up the digits but count the 0 as part of a two digit number, which also seems to have also happened in the 12092021/934091 machinations when 8 & 0 were counted as 80 and Elon had recently tweeted that zero is cool and important. Even if we generalize to adding all the digits but arbitrarily picking two adjacent digits to count as one two-digit number, that gives only 7-1 = 6 possible options.

The number of shares sold needed to be around 1 million for each tranche for this hypothesized scheme to work within Elon's budget of 10% total equity sale. The number of total digits in the prime factorization of such a number would be 6-10 in most cases and at the extreme would be 20 because 2^20 is about 1 million.

If we want to generalize and let the sum be 51, 69, 42, or 129 (the only relevant possibilities given the number of digits in the prime factorization) then we have 4 possible interesting sums, yielding 6*4 = 24 possible combos.

Now, there are multiple ways to add 6-10 digits to get each of these magic numbers, so a true count of maybe around 100-1000 is more accurate, but that's insignificant compared to the number of potential sequences of 7 digits which is 10^7 or 10 million.

A full proof would be much more complicated but I am convinced this is definitely surprising.

Additionally, with all the machinations around his 934,091 shares traded, and it's only two prime factors being 229 and 4079, that someone just made up one of the thousands of ways to add up those numbers is 69? That Elon PLANNED THAT? Come on, you really have to admit that that's a HUGE improbability. That he STARTED with "69", found a way to find seven (six actually) numbers that added up to 69, that when those six numbers are split into two prime integers are the only two prime factors in the number of shares he sold? Not happening.
I was initially more impressed until I saw a comment on Rob Graves' twitter feed that it would be easy to write a software script to do all of this with brute force search algorithms and I think that's true.

It would basically iterate through every single number between perhaps 500k and 5 million and look for the ones with the greatest number of simple ways for the meme numbers to appear. It could include direct digit sequences and simple arithmetic operations ( + - / * ) and prime factorization. The computer would comb through all the possibilities and find some number, apparently 934091, that has the most interesting patterns.

Also, consider the apparent tweet timing clues. Let me try to enumerate all the possible simple ways for a time to point to the magic numbers.

For 12/9 we have:
12:09, 12:18, 12:27, 12:36, 12:45, 12:54, 7:59, 8:49, 9:39, 10:29, 11:19, 3:49, 4:39, 6:29

For 420 & 42
4:20, 2:22, X:42 (12 of these), 1:32, 3:12

For 5:1
1:05, 1:14, 1:23, 1:32, 1:41, 1:50, 5:01, 5:10, 2:31, 3:21, 7:21, X:51 (12 of these)

For 69
6:33, 6:18, 6:27, 6:36, 6:45, 6:54, 2:39, 1:59, 10:59, 11:49, 12:39

That's 52 options, most of which are a bit of a stretch, out of 720 possible timestamps in a 12 hour format.

Now add in:
- 5/1/2020 8:11 tweet "Stock price too high IMO" followed by 5-1 split on 8/11/2020
- Elon is a geeky troll who despises the SEC
- All the other 934091 stuff
- 1209 Viking raid coupled with anagram for "Im team split I swear" or maybe "Split I swear, wait EM"
- Dinosaurs wearing $129 airpods
- 1:29 risk ratio of motorcycle vs car
- 12 million lbs thrust from Falcon 9
- 129th orbital flight "milestone"
- 9th item on 12-pt bullet list of FSD 10.5 release notes is missing its bullet and talks about "short-deadline" situations
- "Choked with news and starved of history" from book published 12/9 and tweeted at 12:09
- 12 + 9 + 21 = 42
- 12/9 is International Anti-Corruption Day
- 12/9 is approximately expected opening day of Giga Austin and possibly Berlin, one of the most momentous days in Tesla's history thus far
- String of 934091 sales pointing on calendar towards finishing on 12/9 with cumulative total of 12900512 shares sold (12/9 & 512 Austin area phone code)
- 12/9 coincides with many significant financial dates as @Artful Dodger has described

As a quality engineer I professionally spend much of my time trying to get people to consider alternative explanations and not to draw strong conclusions from insufficient data. By default I assume most unexpected patterns are random coincidences, but that's just a heuristic. Simply assuming that this heuristic is ALWAYS giving the right answer is wrong because it would lead to guaranteed Type II error (failure to reject the null hypothesis) any time something really is going on.

Also I experimented with a control group where I actively tried to produce similar results with different randomly selected numbers and failed time and time again.

I simply do not see how coincidence and confirmation bias is the strongest hypothesis to explain these facts.

Last edited:
And I only had two glasses of wine ...

EMSK.1209.Nov29.split2.jpg

https twitter.com/elonmusk/status/1465383640578379777

EMSK.1209.Nov29.3.53.split-2.jpg

https twitter.com/elonmusk/status/1465423628900704270

EMSK.1209.Nov29.8bit.69-001.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: AZRI11 and ggies07

Good write-up (thanks for your effort). Tiny quibble: Falcon 9 does not make 12 million pounds of thrust, it makes 1.3 million.

The thrust from Superheavy Booster BN4 will be about 12 Million pounds (29 Raptor v1 engines vs the 33 total planned for later, and it was definately a Superheavy pictured in His tweet.

Coincidentally though, the picture showed the center 9 engine nozzles, so imma score that as a "another hint", confirmed. ;)

Cheers!

And I only had two glasses of wine ...
That was impressive.

The sheer amount of neuron processing power captured by 1209 calculations makes me think that ... maybe Elon is just trying to run a test, to estimate collective brain processing power of humanity.

With that information in hand he can better estimate Singularity date and adjust SpeceX schedule accordingly.

Last edited:
So Elon is in Texas today and this "A lot has happened in 8 years" Twitter post was sent out at 12:36 local time. (3+6=9 --> 12/9)

Curiously, he had already sent an almost identical response to this same tweet on 9/3/21.

Any ideas why? Lots of proposals in main TMC roundtable but no one mentioning the 12/9 connection.

Last edited:
So Elon is in Texas today and this "A lot has happened in 8 years" Twitter post was sent out at 12:36 local time. (3+6=9 --> 12/9)

Curiously, he had already sent an almost identical response to this same tweet on 9/3/21.

Any ideas why? Lots of proposals in main TMC roundtable but no one mentioning the 12/9 connection.

First principles and all…

Could it be that appropriate amounts of fibre in his diet lead to timely bowel movements; and coincidentally regular timing of visits to the tweet throne ?

1) 12/9 will be starlink ipo announcement

2) maybe tesla holders can get a piece?

#1 is more probable than anything else
#2 is dependent upon market regulations

it’s simple logistically, they’d spin off rights to buy starlink shares...BUT as far as regulatory rules, unsure if it’s possible - so that’s the argument against. if anyone knows the rules, pls chime in.

Last edited:
1) 12/9 will be starlink ipo announcement

2) maybe tesla holders can get a piece?

#1 is more probable than anything else
#2 is dependent upon market regulations

it’s simple logistically, they’d spin off rights to buy starlink shares...BUT as far as regulatory rules, unsure if it’s possible - so that’s the argument against. if anyone knows the rules, pls chime in.
I want to believe something is happening 12/9 but I don’t think it’s Starlink IPO. EM has stated many times that he wouldn’t IPO starlink until it was profitable. The problem is that earlier this week EM sent an email to SpaceX employees that stated “Starlink Satellite V1, by itself, is financially weak” and that they need more raptor engines to get Starlink Satellite V2 into orbit, and that V2 will be financially strong.

I want to believe something is happening 12/9 but I don’t think it’s Starlink IPO. EM has stated many times that he wouldn’t IPO starlink until it was profitable. The problem is that earlier this week EM sent an email to SpaceX employees that stated “Starlink Satellite V1, by itself, is financially weak” and that they need more raptor engines to get Starlink Satellite V2 into orbit, and that V2 will be financially strong.

good reminder, still more likely than split

Last edited:

Not a Starlink IPO but possibly a buyout of Starlink by Tesla from SpaceX. See my post there re SpaceX spins off Starlink, which is bought by Tesla
I don't see it happening till maybe next year when Tesla really fires on all (4680) cylinders.

I'm really puzzled by the upcoming 1209 event non event. IF it is a non event, it will certainly have worked as a marketing attention economy ploy, and it'll most likely then be a SP plunge event, which could be a trap for the bears getting slaughtered later, like at 4Q earnings time.

Not a Starlink IPO but possibly a buyout of Starlink by Tesla from SpaceX. See my post there re SpaceX spins off Starlink, which is bought by Tesla
I don't see it happening till maybe next year when Tesla really fires on all (4680) cylinders.

I'm really puzzled by the upcoming 1209 event non event. IF it is a non event, it will certainly have worked as a marketing attention economy ploy, and it'll most likely then be a SP plunge event, which could be a trap for the bears getting slaughtered later, like at 4Q earnings time.

whats the advantage of tesla spending money to buy starlink when you can raise the money from spacex shareholders or market - solely keeping it in house?

It would basically iterate through every single number between perhaps 500k and 5 million and look for the ones with the greatest number of simple ways for the meme numbers to appear. It could include direct digit sequences and simple arithmetic operations ( + - / * ) and prime factorization. The computer would comb through all the possibilities and find some number, apparently 934091, that has the most interesting patterns.

Also, consider the apparent tweet timing clues. Let me try to enumerate all the possible simple ways for a time to point to the magic numbers.

For 12/9 we have:
12:09, 12:18, 12:27, 12:36, 12:45, 12:54, 7:59, 8:49, 9:39, 10:29, 11:19, 3:49, 4:39, 6:29

For 420 & 42
4:20, 2:22, X:42 (12 of these), 1:32, 3:12

For 5:1
1:05, 1:14, 1:23, 1:32, 1:41, 1:50, 5:01, 5:10, 2:31, 3:21, 7:21, X:51 (12 of these)

For 69
6:33, 6:18, 6:27, 6:36, 6:45, 6:54, 2:39, 1:59, 10:59, 11:49, 12:39

That's 52 options, most of which are a bit of a stretch, out of 720 possible timestamps in a 12 hour format.

Now add in:
- 5/1/2020 8:11 tweet "Stock price too high IMO" followed by 5-1 split on 8/11/2020
- Elon is a geeky troll who despises the SEC
- All the other 934091 stuff
- 1209 Viking raid coupled with anagram for "Im team split I swear" or maybe "Split I swear, wait EM"
- Dinosaurs wearing $129 airpods
- 1:29 risk ratio of motorcycle vs car
- 129th orbital flight "milestone"
- 9th item on 12-pt bullet list of FSD 10.5 release notes is missing its bullet and talks about "short-deadline" situations
- "Choked with news and starved of history" from book published 12/9 and tweeted at 12:09
- 12 + 9 + 21 = 42
- 12/9 is International Anti-Corruption Day
- 12/9 is approximately expected opening day of Giga Austin and possibly Berlin, one of the most momentous days in Tesla's history thus far
- String of 934091 sales pointing on calendar towards finishing on 12/9 with cumulative total of 12900512 shares sold (12/9 & 512 Austin area phone code)
- 12/9 coincides with many significant financial dates as @Artful Dodger has described

And you still think Elon has the time to put all that thought, planning, and computation into what accounts to no more than a joke or a prank?

I'm sure if the magic date at 12/22 or 1/13 or 2/8 you'd all find exactly the same ways to validate those random dates. A few people said they "tried" to emulate other dates and failed, but that's exactly my point. It's not possible to try other random dates because you're already biased for 12/9. And if the super secret date was some other date, it would a host of *other* hints and tweets that would be the fodder for the fabricated nonsense. No matter what the date is, people would find ways to twist the evidence to fit.

And you still think Elon has the time to put all that thought, planning, and computation into what accounts to no more than a joke or a prank?
I believe this would've taken much less time to plan than for us to notice and decipher. The software for finding these numbers would be pretty simple and could probably be coded in about an hour. I think it's about the level of difficulty of a software engineering interview question.

Jokes and pranks are actually pretty fun. This is the same playful, mischievous person who had his team add Fart Mode to the cars.

He also doesn't like Wall Street, nor shortsellers, nor their Enrichment Commission, and has made comments like "A tsunami of hurt is coming for the shortsellers", "Stormy weather in Shortsville" and "Short burn of the century coming up soon". Several plausible ideas have been provided in this thread about how this may be a bear trap setup.

Finally, we know that he was displeased with his settlement with the SEC in 2018 which restricted his ability to tweet about Tesla without going through his legal team first, IIRC. If this is what it appears to be, I think he'd probably have plausible deniability in court.

I'm sure if the magic date at 12/22 or 1/13 or 2/8 you'd all find exactly the same ways to validate those random dates.
A few people said they "tried" to emulate other dates and failed, but that's exactly my point. It's not possible to try other random dates because you're already biased for 12/9.
This is unavoidably true to some extent, but personally I compensated for this cognitive bias by using computer-generated random numbers and sticking to dead simple True/False pattern testing, such as:

1) Digits showing up sequentially (e.g. "129" or "69")

2) Tweet timestamps and dates

3) Simple addition or multiplication of adjacent digits, without complex combinations

4) Letter indices in the Latin alphabet

5) Any simple numerical connections in pictures similar to the 1209 Viking raid or $129 Dinosaur AirPods

6) Running tweets through an anagram checker website

And if the super secret date was some other date, it would a host of *other* hints and tweets that would be the fodder for the fabricated nonsense. No matter what the date is, people would find ways to twist the evidence to fit.
Speaking for myself, I will not do that unless some surprising and compelling new body of evidence arises.

Please pick another date at random and twist up some evidence from Elon's Twitter history and stock sales to demonstrate how easy it is to fabricate a string of coincidences this deep and consistent. In the pursuit of fun and scientific rigor, I already tried and gave up but will change my mind if shown otherwise with a concrete example.

Last edited:
I think it's about the level of difficulty of a software engineering interview question.
Little did they know, but every software engineer applying to Tesla for the past 5 years has been contributing to his little plot here.

”Write an anagram generator”

”Write a script that spits out combination of numbers that sum up to 12 and 9 given these rules”

etc etc

LOL