Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

[NY/NJ] Front fog headlight displaced: worth replacing?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Today, on the I-78, there was a big roll of plastic fence on the road. I tried to avoid it but I turned late and while I avoided most of it, it still touched my car.

The car does not have much damage:
  • bottom/fog light is displaced (see video)
  • the plastic surrounding of the tired/wheel is off

Questions
  1. Any idea how big this damage can be and if this is important or not?
  2. Any idea of the cost?
  3. Do you recommend to go through insurance? If yes, why? If no, same question.

Fog headlight displaced
IMG_1281.jpeg

Plastic around wheel displaced
IMG_1285.jpeg

The trim around the wheel well looks like it should be able to pushed back into place? Is it held on with tabs? Since the fog light is loose, I’d take that in to be fixed. I’d get an estimate before I considered insurance.

The trim around the wheel well looks like it should be able to pushed back into place? Is it held on with tabs? Since the fog light is loose, I’d take that in to be fixed. I’d get an estimate before I considered insurance.
Yes, the plastic around the wheel should be able to be put back.

For the fog light, I am asking estimates. If someone has a similar experience, I would love to be compare what they were charged before!

There's a possibility that the brackets holding foglight in place may be broken. If that's the case, you may need a whole new bumper. I know this because my foglight wasn't seated properly (looks similar to your picture) and mobile service determined the scenario I just described. They replaced my bumper with a new one but the white paint doesn't really match. Kinda sucks but it is what it is. New MY at the time so it was covered.

ive driven through some serious serious THICK fog, and the forward fog lights make visibility marginally better. its not what i'd ever consider critical. note that the new 3 does not come equipped with them.

There's a possibility that the brackets holding foglight in place may be broken. If that's the case, you may need a whole new bumper. I know this because my foglight wasn't seated properly (looks similar to your picture) and mobile service determined the scenario I just described. They replaced my bumper with a new one but the white paint doesn't really match. Kinda sucks but it is what it is. New MY at the time so it was covered.

😱
I really hope that is not the case!

I experienced a similar situation with the left fog light on my 2023 MYLR. In my case, the 3 plastic mounting tabs circled in the photo had broken. I was able to purchase a gently used OEM replacement on eBay for approximately $85. It took me 20 or 30 minutes to replace the light.

This YouTube video explains how to access the existing light (just ignore everything after removing the old light as he's upgrading his lights in such a way that requires new wiring). I reused the 3 screws to mount the new light.

Be sure to note the part number of your existing light (on the white sticker on the back of the light) if you go this route so that you purchase the correct replacement. In my case, it was 1507930-00-C.

s-l1600_circled.jpg
s-l1600.png

Attachments

• s-l1600_circled.jpg
    s-l1600_circled.jpg
    455.9 KB · Views: 5
  • Informative
Reactions: mborkow
I experienced a similar situation with the left fog light on my 2023 MYLR. In my case, the 3 plastic mounting tabs circled in the photo had broken. I was able to purchase a gently used OEM replacement on eBay for approximately $85. It took me 20 or 30 minutes to replace the light.

This YouTube video explains how to access the existing light (just ignore everything after removing the old light as he's upgrading his lights in such a way that requires new wiring). I reused the 3 screws to mount the new light.

Be sure to note the part number of your existing light (on the white sticker on the back of the light) if you go this route so that you purchase the correct replacement. In my case, it was 1507930-00-C.

View attachment 1044800View attachment 1044801
Do you think there is a chance I need a full bumper replacement? How was your bumper in your case?

View attachment 1044800View attachment 1044801
Also, where did you purchase the part? I looked at the Parts Catalog but it seems you need to be a professional to buy some parts.

If I was told I needed a new bumper cover (which will involve a repaint) because the tabs on the bumper cover were broken, I think I’d be tempted to ask if they could glue (epoxy) the current foglight unit directly into the current bumper cover…

Also, where did you purchase the part? I looked at the Parts Catalog but it seems you need to be a professional to buy some parts.
As I mentioned, I bought the replacement light used on eBay. I just did a search for the part number and found one that an individual who had replaced his fog lights with aftermarket lights was selling. The one I purchased had been on his car for less than 2,000 miles and was in excellent condition. If you go this route, make sure you buy one with no broken mounting tabs.

• Informative
Reactions: mborkow