Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

NYT article: Stalled on the EV Highway

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Given the blog post, it's probably both. Willful intent on the article, and idiot author for sacrificing his integrity, etc. for 15 minutes of attention.
+1

How can someone be so stupid to assume he can get away with this? In an "iPad on wheels"? This was a great opportunity for Tesla to demonstrate how detailed their logs are. Revealing this information in this particular context doesn't leave a lot of room for critical voices (privacy concerns, trust in customers and journalists, etc.), and at the same time I'm pretty sure it won't happen again. By now, even the dumbest of journalists will have understood that you'd better not twist facts when it comes to Tesla's cars...

Wow. Just wow.

Busted, drawn, and quartered. Some people just have no integrity.

Can't wait to see what the NY Times does.

NY Times will probably do nothing. Doing so will only add credibility to Elon's blog which is actually quite poorly written compared to anything Broder writes (truth aside). Broder already responded by basically saying he did what he was told by Tesla employees (he didn't). While it's nice to know the truth, many people in the public will see a blog entry written by a whining non-journalist and compare it to a well written rebuttal from a seasoned journalist and make their judgements based on that. I hope I'm wrong.

As the State of Charge log shows, the Model S battery never ran out of energy at any time, including when Broder called the flatbed truck.

To be fair, there's no mention of what state the car was in when it was flat-bedded. If the following passage from the original article is true, not being completely empty is meaningless.

...very patient driver, Rick Ibsen, to rescue me with a flatbed truck. Not so quick: the car’s electrically actuated parking brake would not release without battery power, and hooking the car’s 12-volt charging post behind the front grille to the tow truck’s portable charger would not release the brake. So he had to drag it onto the flatbed, a painstaking process that took 45 minutes.

Broder clearly had an agenda (driving in circles at 0 range leaves no doubt in my mind) and certainly fudged his numbers, but I'd be surprised if he fabricated the parking brake related parts of that passage. Maybe someone will interview the driver.

That pretty much clears it up.

As a side note, it looks like in terms of state-of-charge, it lost only about 7-8% overnight (corresponding to about 20 miles of rated range, I think), which if correct is much less than was in discussion. (And based on other info, it would lose much less from then on). (Or perhaps even less, since the 7-8% might include the battery conditioning in the morning.)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.