Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

NYT article: Stalled on the EV Highway

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Either he never tried out the cruise control or he's misrepresenting how it behaves.
Dishonesty column.

Don't get me wrong. I think he's a total DB. And think this will all go in Tesla's favor, what with all the free publicity.

And unless the NYT retracts his article or admits he misrepresented anything, I'll be comfortable thinking of it as I heard Russians did (still do?) their newspaper, Pravda: suitable only to clean up after dropping a deuce.

Coincidentally, Pravda means truth in Russian. An irony befitting the NYT after this article?

Roadster is the same. No regen after a range charge (batter is too full) and in severe cold but does the MS control cruise speed without regen by simply regulating motor speed or does it need regen?

AFAIK, Tesla made no provision for motor braking aside from regen. Think about it: it's like throwing the car in reverse at highway speeds and using battery power to slow the car down. It would absolutely kill range.

What really should have happened: Broder writes an article about how he had to drive slow, in the awesome Model S, and all the torture that goes with doing this. How he had to spend 1 hour sitting at a stupid rest stop waiting for his car to charge. How he had to sit in a 68F car to try to save range. How nervous it was trying to the next Supercharger. How it was hard to find the Supercharger in the dark, and how he had to wait another hour. How much hassle it is to ask to get a 120V outlet at a Hotel and sucky it is to plug in the car when you just want to go to sleep, and there is snow and cold everywhere. How he could have done the whole trip in 7 hours in a Ford Fiesta, at whatever speed he wanted, in a bathing suit in a 85F jungle cabin, that took 12 hours in a Tesla in a chilly cabin.

Sure that isn't sensational. But it is the truth. Sure Tesla wouldn't have really liked that story either, but really EVs can't compete with ICEs when you start talking about refueling/charging.
A competent, honest reporter would have done such a thing. And I would have no beef with it.

- - - Updated - - -

I hope someone is keeping track of the original Broder text: http://www.nytimes.com/2013/02/10/automobiles/stalled-on-the-ev-highway.html?hpw&_r=0 I wouldn't put it passed the NYT to alter it.
Hopefully AnOutsider is on top of this, like he has been with the Model S spec/options website updates.

Having to turn the heat down and drive below the speed limit just to make it to a supercharger
This is fallout from the Edmunds or Motor Trend (I forget which) trip. Many said it would leave a permanent mark in the collective psyche, and they were right.

Tesla should have told them to "just drive it normal" back then ("we'll meet you with a charging truck if it doesn't make it").

What really should have happened: Broder writes an article about how he had to drive slow, in the awesome Model S, and all the torture that goes with doing this. How he had to spend 1 hour sitting at a stupid rest stop waiting for his car to charge. How he had to sit in a 68F car to try to save range. How nervous it was trying to the next Supercharger. How it was hard to find the Supercharger in the dark, and how he had to wait another hour. How much hassle it is to ask to get a 120V outlet at a Hotel and sucky it is to plug in the car when you just want to go to sleep, and there is snow and cold everywhere. How he could have done the whole trip in 7 hours in a Ford Fiesta, at whatever speed he wanted, in a bathing suit in a 85F jungle cabin, that took 12 hours in a Tesla in a chilly cabin.

Sure that isn't sensational. But it is the truth. Sure Tesla wouldn't have really liked that story either, but really EVs can't compete with ICEs when you start talking about refueling/charging.

CNN drove at 60-65mph in 72F, with 32 miles remaining. :) (On the leg between the Superchargers.)

Detailed logs

I loved the wordsmith reference and used it my post on NYT. I wrote:

Liar or stupid?
It’s a question I first thought of when reading Mr. Broder’s response. He is yo-yo driving, lost in a parking lot, taking detours, not fully charging at stops, not charging overnight, quitting charging when range says 30 and he needs to go 60. Also, blaming Tesla for miscommunication about time needed to charge.
After reading his response, I realize this wordsmith is pretending to be “Joe the plumber” out for a first long range drive. Everyone loves a story where reality and fiction intermingle.
P. S. I done ran outa gas. My dealer nev’r tole me I need to put gas in my Karr!

Can't find your post. Did it get deleted? I also searched for the words "liar" and "stupid"... No matches. :confused: Strange, since this is all this article is about.

Side note: I found more detailed logs! :) http://www.penny-arcade.com/comic/2013/02/15/blackbox

I don't think he's technically lying. I think he's wordsmithing and playing to the ignorance of those that don't have any experience, be it first or second hand, with the precision of the cruise control in the Model S.

In my interpretation, Broder is not explicitly saying that the Model S's cruise control behaves this way; he's leading the audience to think that this discrepancy in speed could be due to the Model S's cruise control.

IMO, Broder is an exceptional wordsmith. I believe he is intelligent and knows the semantic limits of every word, phrase, sentence and paragraph he publishes. And I believe he has an agenda. He and his editors surely went over his response to Elon's blog with a fine-toothed comb to ensure truthiness without lying.

He can claim he is technically "not lying." However it is clear he is trying to deceive his readers. That is what counts.

GSP

Yea, CNN also missed an exit (adding more miles), plus they took a longer route to avoid Manhattan traffic which added 30 miles, and then they hit traffic anyway going that route, plus he had temp at 72 degrees the whole time, and he even mashed the pedal speeding between 65-80 miles per hour no problem with PLENTY of juice left.

I think NY Times's reputation is a little tarnished now unless they make a statement admitting that Broder's article was very biased, contained false information, and admitting they are sorry and that this is not representative of their company values. They need to retract that article or face public humiliation and permanent damage to their renowned news reporting. I mean who can trust them with fair reviews after this? Certainly not me. I'll be taking their reviews with a grain of salt from this point forward unless they publicly admit that's articles misrepresentation and intentional harm by misuse of the Tesla Model S.

I mean seriously, imagine if this was a review of an ICE vehicle, and the reviewer only put 1/3 of a tank of gas in the car and then complained that it was a gas guzzler and left him stranded on the highway? Honestly. Or if it was a review of an iphone, or a laptop, and the person only charged it to 28% and then complained their it was a battery hog and doesn't last more than an hour. Shame on you Broder and NY Times.

Here is the CNN article on their DC to Boston trip. Was this the same route as the NYT'S ?
Test drive: DC to Boston in a Tesla Model S - Feb. 15, 2013

First two legs were the same, third leg was Milford to Boston (instead of to a hotel in Groton and back to Milford).

The second leg is the "real" Supercharger test leg, about 200 miles between the Supercharger in Newark and the one in Milford.

Here the CNN team drove 60 - 65 mph, and climate control on 72 F, and arrived with 32 miles remaining. (So in theory enough to drive faster than 65 mph without hitting zero miles at the end, or alternatively, with a standard charge of 90% as Broder did). Outside temps were, according to weather.com, around 38F in Milford, CT between 3 pm and 6 pm.

Whereas Broder claims, in his article,
(Stalled on the E.V. Highway - NYTimes.com)
to have driven for 68 miles with unspecified speeds using up 85 miles rated range (which alone would not explain his problems), and then to have set the cruise control to 54 mph and the climate control to "low", "my feet were freezing and my knuckles were turning white'. Finally arriving on reserve with zero miles displayed range left. And claiming only a "short break in Manhattan" (in terms of detours). Mentioning "the temperature was still in the 30s" (referring to outside temperatures obviously)

Additional info from his later responses:

In his (first) response to Elon's tweets, he writes:
(The Charges Are Flying Over a Test of Teslas Charging Network - NYTimes.com)

I was at that point 200 miles from the other East Coast Supercharger outlet in Milford, Conn., which I barely reached by driving 10 m.p.h. below the speed limit and turning off the battery-draining cabin-heating system.
Without referring back to the article, this would sound to me as if he drove the whole 200 miles at 10 mph below speed limit, and without heating (and even then reached it only barely).
(According to logs it seems he never turned off climate control, while his article mentions *the car* turned it off when he ran out of range shortly before reaching the second Supercharger).

In regards to detours, he claims only 2 miles:
Mr. Musk has referred to a “long detour” on my trip. He is apparently referring to a brief stop in Manhattan on my way to Connecticut that, according to Google Maps, added precisely two miles to the overall distance traveled from the Delaware Supercharger to Milford (202 miles with the stop versus 200 miles had I taken the George Washington Bridge instead of the Lincoln Tunnel).

Additional statements are in his response to the Tesla's blog with the data logs:
(That Tesla Data: What It Says and What It Doesnt - NYTimes.com)
For example: "Certainly, and as Tesla’s logs clearly show, much of my driving was at or well below the 65 m.p.h. speed limit, with only a single momentary spike above 80."

Again a link to the Tesla blog for the charts:

(A Most Peculiar Test Drive | Blog | Tesla Motors)

Last edited:
Very big thread here in this short time.

As I read the article from Broder the first time I was thinking that this can not be the truth.
I assumed that he,
- drove to fast
- did not charged enough
- took it to hot inside
- didn't turn the car correctly off

And I hoped that Tesla will not only take a correction on it, I hoped that Tesla publish the datas from the car, that everybody can take a look on it.

Now we have the data, we have a correction from Tesla and comments from Tesla and the truth is all what I assumed at first.

This makes me very happy, and Tesla didn't lose any face in that what Tesla always saying about their cars. I belive today more in Tesla as befor this story.

I can only say congratulation Tesla you are very great and build the best cars in the world and take no lies in the marketing, that is what I want. Go the forward and change the car industry.

Status
Not open for further replies.