Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

NYT article: Stalled on the EV Highway

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I respectfully disagree hcsharp. I would be curious what the lawyers on the board think, but with my layman's understanding of the definition of libel in the US, I think the NY Times either issues a full printed retraction, or they better lawyer up. Tesla's stock fell significantly after this article was published, and the article clearly damages Telsa's reputation and will negatively impact sales going forward. The harm to Tesla would be quantifiable and likely in the millions. Total conjecture on my part, but if I were advising the Times, I would tell them to print a retraction in exchange for Tesla agreeing to drop the matter.

The NY Times ultimately has to protect its reputation which is far more important than shielding a reporter who clearly fabricated a sensationalistic hit piece. I think they review the evidence (which Tesla will certainly let them do), and cut their losses.

Last edited:
Great response from Tesla. To show my support I will definitely be finalizing my car today (got the Time to Build-mail today) and after delivery try to get at least 5 to 10 more people interested in buying this car (next to my brother and brother-in-law who already made a reservation). Let's prove the naysayers and haters wrong.

Interesting to see from the graphs in the blog that the car could have gone about 240 miles on a full charge (if you extend the discharging-lines to 100% and 0%), which is a good score considering the cold weather, the heating and the highway speeds.

Good work Elon and Tesla team.

All you have to do is drive an electric car and see the difference. The naysayers will stay in the past with their ICE vehicles, while the believers will move forward to the future with their electrics. Tesla will lead the way!

That's interesting. If you look at the "Rated Range" chart instead of the pct chart, it indicates that it lost more than 50 miles over night.

Right, that's probably the displayed value, and includes (more) adjustments calculated in software. BTW, someone (article on plugincars.com) estimated that battery conditioning might consume as much as 20 miles worth of range, so it is very possible that the real loss is significantly less [than 20 miles range].

Last edited:
By the way, I think that he drove around on that parking lot not to try to stall the car - he needed lower state of charge while staying in agreement with the time table. So instead of spending that time charging, he was actively discharging the car.

This thing looks more and more like a fraud to me...

Wow, I just read Tesla's full blog response to the NYT article. That is pretty damning evidence that the NYTimes reporter was set out to hurt Tesla and the EV industry. I think it's pretty clear he intentionally tried really hard to run out of energy. I can't believe he only charged to 28% and then drove around in circles when the Model S exceeded it's remaining projected range by almost double and it didn't run out of energy before he thought it would. I hope NY Times does it's duty to investigate and reprimand this reporter.

If you are a NYT reader, now is your time to write

I just wrote an email to NYT, since I usually enjoy reading it. \quote Dear NY Times, As a long time fan and avid reader of the New York Times, I am writing concerning two articles by John M. Broder about the Tesla Model S published on February 10th and 12th. In light of the rebuttal published on Tesla Motors blog: A Most Peculiar Test Drive | Blog | Tesla Motors I am deeply disturbed and would like to encourage you to investigate your article. If indeed your reporter has twisted truth to the extent implied in the rebuttal, I have to say, I am deeply disappointed. If he did not try to manipulate the review, then have someone impartial explain to your readership, how this discrepancy came about. I have been trying to comment Mr Broder's article since day before yesterday, but either you have further comments disabled or for some strange reason I am encountering a bug, since I am logged in as a normal user everywhere else. Yours truly \quote

Cross posting from another thread (mods: threads should be merged? http://www.teslamotorsclub.com/showthread.php/13863-Tesla-and-the-NYT?p=276138#post276138 )

Wow, I just read Tesla's full blog response to the NYT article. That is pretty damning evidence that the NYTimes reporter was set out to hurt Tesla and the EV industry. I think it's pretty clear he intentionally tried really hard to run out of energy. I can't believe he only charged to 28% and then drove around in circles trying to get it to run out of juice when the Model S exceeded it's remaining projected range by almost double and it didn't run out of energy before he thought it would. I hope NY Times does it's duty to investigate and reprimand this reporter.

I think the only remedy to this situation is for Broder preserve any integrity he has left and to own up to his factual errors and false accusations. NY Times should also make a statement, post a correction and retract the article. If that does not happen immediately, I am no lawyer but I think there is enough evidence there to support another defamation lawsuit.

If this goes legal it's going to be "he said - she said" with regards to the phone calls and instructions. However, even disregarding that, common sense tells us that this reporter has acted fishy (maliciously?) by spending time at a charger driving in circles instead of charging. It will be very hard for him to dispute this fact.

I hope not. Recording a phone call without the consent of the other party is a crime in many states.

True, but they can simply add the already-ubiquitous "this call may recorded for quality and training purposes" to the beginning of each call and be done with it. Having that audio is probably valuable for Tesla, and does not have to put them in a bad position, they can record it openly and with prior notice.

As for the article, I've already started working on Twitter and Facebook to show just how badly Broder mucked up the truth and to put a little pressure and loss of face on the New York Times. Like others here, I think they're legally and morally in a very bad position here, and if I can do even a little bit to turn up the heat on them still further and hope that they then do the right thing, I'm all for it. We should all spend a minute or two spreading the word.

Status
Not open for further replies.