Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

NYTimes: The Electric Car and the Road Not Taken

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
To be specific, the Leaf and Volt look dishearteningly like the dullest of Nissan and Chevrolet’s gas guzzlers. The same applies to one of the four concept plug-ins that Renault unveiled last month at the Frankfurt motor show, while the other three seemed downright scary. The i-MiEV looks chillingly like a Smart car that’s been pigging out at Krispy Kreme. The Tesla Roadster Sport has its fans, although I’m not among them. It isn’t quite foxy enough (especially for a starting price of $101,500) yet almost qualifies as a hottie compared to the Tesla Model S saloon, which is due out in 2012 and threatens to look as staid as the Volt. The less said about the G-Wiz the better. The cutest plug-in I’ve seen so far isn’t a car but a “baby” truck, made by Modec.

It's a no-win situation with these people. Either that or she needs her eyes tested.

Where on earth did that come from?
Everyone I speak with thinks the Tesla Roadster and Model S are drop dead gorgeous cars. Most of the reviews from others in the media seem to say the same.

I will agree that the Nissan Leaf looks dull.
However the Chevy Volt is an attractive car.

This person, Alice Rawsthorn, is clueless. She referred to eletric cars as having engines.

I had read this article earlier and found nothing of value it in. The extent of her "reporting" is two quotes from un-named sources (which "for obvious reasons, wished to speak anonymously") with nothing particularly profound to say.
Curious what she thinks of the Aptera... Scratch that. I don't care what she thinks.

I'll actually agree with her on the fact that the Model S in my eyes is not sexy. It's not supposed to be sexy, it's supposed to be a timeliss classic. And just like the Aston Martin and Jaguar designs it does look like a modern classic. It's a lot more down-key than the Karma f.inst. and that is exactly why I think the Model S looks so much better than the Karma.

Designwise the Roadster looks fast but not spectacular, and again I think that is good. It looks a lot less insectlike than the Lotus it's shape is based on and a lot more nice or expensive :)

Cobos

Model S is far from staid!! It would be great to get all these "experts" together and have them design a vehicle.

Cobos, as long a Tesla sticks with the original design, Model S will be a timeless classic.