Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Obeche Gloss on Grey Interior

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello,
I am thinking of getting a P85 with the dark grey exterior, grey interior (and grey rims), but having trouble finding pictures of the obeche gloss trim on the grey. There are several pictures of the Obeche Matte.

I have not seen the car won't before I submit my order. Any opinions on the color combo or gloss versus matte? Thanks.

Yesterday I sat in a red P85 which had the gloss and the red piping over black leather. It gave a very sporty feel to the car. I do not know whether gloss or matte would have made a difference (think gloss burlwood in a BMW 750iL from the 90s). However, I have matte obeche over tan and it gives it a more classy feel (think MB E500). I prefer the matte over the gloss, myself - but I am sure a grey owner will comment shortly.

Hello,
I am thinking of getting a P85 with the dark grey exterior, grey interior (and grey rims), but having trouble finding pictures of the obeche gloss trim on the grey. There are several pictures of the Obeche Matte.

I have not seen the car won't before I submit my order. Any opinions on the color combo or gloss versus matte? Thanks.

I have a blue Model S with the grey interior and matte Obeche, and I LOVE it...I specifically selected the matte vs. gloss for several reasons:

1. I never liked gloss wood trim in cars, it always looks fake and plastic, even in very high end cars.
2. The matte Obeche feels like such a "different" choice for a car, mostly because I've never seen a matte wood trim offered in a car before.
3. When I was in the NYC showroom checking out the material choices prior to configuring my car, a couple of Tesla employees said that due to the angle of the wood trip on the dash quite a few people had complained about glare.

Here are the photos of my grey and matte Obeche:
Photos of the Grey interior with matte Obeche

And there are are a coupe of photos of grey with gloss obeche (you couple probably send GeekGirls a private message and ask her for some better photos of her car):
Grey leather photos?

The good news is, I don't think you can make a bad decision here, I just have my strong preference...And I obsess over colors, fabrics and wood finishes for a living, so take that for what it's worth ;)

Incidentally, the grey exterior is my favorite Model S paint color by far...It's GORGEOUS! I just couldn't bring myself to get a car that was grey inside and out (too monochromatic for me, I like a bot of contrast). Good luck with your decision, and on the car :)

Thanks to you both.

TheAustin,
Thank you. You hit the nail on the head. I love the grey exterior (and black and blue too), but don't really want a tan, so I guess I have decided to go monochrome - which is exactly the reason I am trying to be careful about the trim. The matte looks awesome on your car, but I keep debating whether the glossy obeche would give it just a little pop to break up the monochramaticness (is that a word?) of it. (Not really a fan of the lacewood or plain black.) However, some of the posts seem to indicate matte is better with grey, and the gloss brings out the wood only when used with tan.

I have read several of your posts and would welcome your opinion or thoughts since you seem to have a background in this area. Thanks.

We have the gray interior with gloss Obeche trim and adore it. I haven't seen a combination I like better, personally. The black interiors we had on loaner vehicles felt oppressively claustrophobic by comparison, and one of those vehicles had the matte Obeche. It's nice, and I appreciated the fact that it brings fingerprint resistance and a little texture to the table, but I still preferred the gloss. Somehow the texture of the matte version invites touch without really rewarding it, as it feels a little on the plastic-y side. Our glossy dash seems to complement the leather very well and feels warm and luxurious.

Not that I've ever heard from a Model S owner who didn't love their car. Whatever you choose, I'm sure you'll appreciate that it was your choice that defined the vehicle.

Incidentally, the grey exterior is my favorite Model S paint color by far...It's GORGEOUS! I just couldn't bring myself to get a car that was grey inside and out (too monochromatic for me, I like a bot of contrast). Good luck with your decision, and on the car :)

BTW, glad to hear it about the grey exterior. Was thinking of going black. Thanks to each of you. Haven't made up my mind yet, but the pictures help, especially as you noted regarding the monochrome.

Thanks to you both.

TheAustin,
Thank you. You hit the nail on the head. I love the grey exterior (and black and blue too), but don't really want a tan, so I guess I have decided to go monochrome - which is exactly the reason I am trying to be careful about the trim. The matte looks awesome on your car, but I keep debating whether the glossy obeche would give it just a little pop to break up the monochramaticness (is that a word?) of it. (Not really a fan of the lacewood or plain black.) However, some of the posts seem to indicate matte is better with grey, and the gloss brings out the wood only when used with tan.

I have read several of your posts and would welcome your opinion or thoughts since you seem to have a background in this area. Thanks.

I could tell you that, in my professional opinion, the matte Obeche looks best with the grey, and the gloss Obeche looks better with the tan...But that opinion exists at a level where the average person couldn't differentiate what I'm talking about. I could reference color temperature, tonal balance, etc, but you would probably end up scratching you head. The reality is, they are both great choices, and they both look awesome with the grey interior, I don't think you can go wrong with either choice...But at the end of the day, you have to be able to decide what is more important to you...Pop vs. subtle, richness vs. glare, warmth vs. cool, bling vs. zen. Figuring out the answer to those questions is what is going to help you pick gloss vs. matte.

- - - Updated - - -

Somehow the texture of the matte version invites touch without really rewarding it, as it feels a little on the plastic-y side. Our glossy dash seems to complement the leather very well and feels warm and luxurious.

It's so funny that you say that...I run my fingers over the matte wood all the time, and love the feel of it...I especially like seeing/feeling the variations in the wood, even the small holes here and there. Too me, that's what makes it feel like real wood! Once it's been lacquered over, that feels plastic-y to me. But either way, in the world of the available Model S options, the grey and Obeche are by far and away the most aesthetically pleasing options :)

- - - Updated - - -

BTW, glad to hear it about the grey exterior. Was thinking of going black. Thanks to each of you. Haven't made up my mind yet, but the pictures help, especially as you noted regarding the monochrome.

Nooooo, stay grey, all the way! I have micro-pangs of selection remorse whenever I see a grey ;)

We have the gray interior--it is very light. The gray is much lighter than other manufacturers. I like the contrast to the black. We have lacewood which I prefer over the obeche-I think I am in the minority on this choice.

Great discussion.

I finally pulled the trigger yesterday on my order and sent it to "confirm for production".

I went with Grey/Grey and for weeks kept going back and forth on gloss vs matte obeche. Sort of at the last minute I oped for the glossy, thinking the matte would be too "dull" in the very monochromatic interior. But now I'm second-guessing that decision, liking the unusual appearance of the matte wood (which is so unusual for a car).

I suppose I still have a few days to call and change this...

Great discussion.

I finally pulled the trigger yesterday on my order and sent it to "confirm for production".

I went with Grey/Grey and for weeks kept going back and forth on gloss vs matte obeche. Sort of at the last minute I oped for the glossy, thinking the matte would be too "dull" in the very monochromatic interior. But now I'm second-guessing that decision, liking the unusual appearance of the matte wood (which is so unusual for a car).

I suppose I still have a few days to call and change this...

Yeah, I went back and forth too for quite a while, so much so that I put my order on hold. However, I eventually went with the glossy. I loved the pictures TheAustin provided, but they had contrast with the blue exterior. With his exterior, makes total sense. With a grey on grey, I was way too worried about everything being bland (or a "black and white photo" as someone referred to it). Therefore, I went with the glossy, fwiw. Mine will be delivered in couple of weeks, and hopefully it has the "pop" TheAustin referred to.

GeekGirls has some pictures, and was very nice to provide a link. Thanks.

- - - Updated - - -

Also, I should note that I was pretty worried primarily because I believed the glossy only went with tan, and the matte went with grey. I am not really sure that is true. Guess I will see. It is a pretty big risk, but hopefully it works out.