Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Observations about auto interval wiper sensitivity (or lack thereof)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi Folks,

Are we loving this amazing January weather or what? Honestly wasn't sure if I would ever have a use for cold weather pre-conditioning, or the seatwarmers, here in Hong Kong. But this January has so far made me extremely happy for both! :smile:

One observation, however, about the wipers. Wondering if anybody else has noticed, over the past few weeks of nasty, pissy, seemingly neverending rain, anything odd about the way the auto interval wipers behave?

Basically, I've noticed that they don't always work very consistently. Sometimes I find quite a lot of rain falls on the windshield before the wiper kicks in. Other times just the opposite -- only a sprinkle, and it wipes continuously (for a time anyway). Occasionally it goes berzerk for a short spell before "calming down", when, to my eyes anyway, there hasn't been any perceptible change in the amount of rain falling.

I've fiddled with the settings a fair bit, and find that it behaves this way most when it's on the "slow" auto setting.

It's not a big deal. A minor annoyance at best from what is otherwise a nearly flawless, and thrilling, and amazing automobile. Just wondering if others might have noticed it, or maybe it's just me. If others are experiencing this, maybe it's something that a future software update will improve upon.

Meantime, for those times when I want it to wipe but it clearly doesn't agree, I just use the washer button on the end of the wiper stick, tap it once and it triggers the wipers (without spraying any fluid). Just FYI.

Thanks for listening!

PS - Late 2015 Model S 70 (delivery in December).

my 70D delivery was around the same time.

I find that the wipers don't do a very good job at determining when to wipe, and i find myself quite constantly fiddling with the interval frequency settings. It's no biggie to me tho, i faced exactly the same in a mercedes before, whilst a toyota and an audi was completely fine, i almost never had to touch the wiper settings and i never got a "dry wipe".

they're absolutely garbage. doesn't help that when they DO function properly, they squeak and skip like a 10 years old Honda civic

Wow - I'm sorry to hear that. Just wondering, did you apply any sort of rain-x type of coating which might be affecting how the blades travel across the glass?

If it's the wiper blades for sure, I can't imagine that Tesla wouldn't be able to swap out a new pair for you, as routine (and hopefully free) maintenance.

I've had similar issues with skipping of wiper blades. It's very inconsistent how big the skips are. I did do a Pomponazzi coating soon after taking delivery, so didn't have rain to test if the issue was there or not before doing the coating. From what I have read, applying coatings seem to result in inconsistent behavior.