Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Just purchased 2023 Model Y. Some questions

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

ionsphere

2023 MY LR AWD Northeast region of US
Oct 9, 2023
USA
Hey there everyone I'm a new member just bought a model y 2023 long range. Still getting used to everything it's only been a couple weeks but in about 10 days my temporary registration runs out and I still haven't gotten my new registration yet. Anybody else have this problem and have any solutions? Was hoping not to have to try to contact Tesla cuz I haven't had the greatest response from them so far. Also I can't seem to "like" any posts on these forums. Feel like a real noob here.
Lastly I see they're already a lot of posts on this but I have to say the auto wipers are kind of crap. Not what I expect from Tesla at this point whom I think is generally pretty awesome. They turn on in perfectly dry weather and they do not turn on when it's pouring rain. So then I have to look down at the screen and find the right button to push and then I have to look back at it when I want to speed them up, etc, etc. Anyway it sounds like I'm not the only one with this problem hoping we get some updates soon.

I can't comment on registration as it is different in my location, but re: wipers, yes, the auto setting can be hit/miss.

Try using the left stalk: push it down to activate, the the button on the stalk can adjust speed. That way you don't have to look at screen.

I found that cleaning my windshield by the camera helped get rid of weird activations.

I'm guessing you need more posts to be able to like/downvote.

Reactions: cdub
I can't comment on registration as it is different in my location, but re: wipers, yes, the auto setting can be hit/miss.

Try using the left stalk: push it down to activate, the the button on the stalk can adjust speed. That way you don't have to look at screen.

I found that cleaning my windshield by the camera helped get rid of weird activations.

I'm guessing you need more posts to be able to like/downvote.
Oh these are great tips! Thanks stirfry. Will try this tomorrow on my next drive.

Reactions: cdub and Stirfry
Hey there everyone I'm a new member just bought a model y 2023 long range. Still getting used to everything it's only been a couple weeks but in about 10 days my temporary registration runs out and I still haven't gotten my new registration yet. Anybody else have this problem and have any solutions?
What state?

Lastly I see they're already a lot of posts on this but I have to say the auto wipers are kind of crap. Not what I expect from Tesla at this point whom I think is generally pretty awesome. They turn on in perfectly dry weather and they do not turn on when it's pouring rain. So then I have to look down at the screen and find the right button to push and then I have to look back at it when I want to speed them up, etc, etc. Anyway it sounds like I'm not the only one with this problem hoping we get some updates soon.
Use voice commands.

welcome
Get to know your service center top manager. Then you can email them about your concerns I.e registration.
the main code version is currently 2023.32.7
my wipers in rain are 95% perfect, 5% for maybe not slow enough in certain conditions
they never run when not raining
sometimes they don’t turn off fast enough once it transitions from raining to no rain

we have 2x Teslas and planning on three more
we love the Tesla ecosystem which you will appreciate over time
It’s not about the vehicles but about the total Tesla ecosystem we experience
I am now expanding into Tesla solar
the integrations of apps (on phone and in vehicle), vehicles, wall connectors, power walls and solar are amazing
No other company can compare
enjoy

Reactions: bicar
Welcome!

it's only been a couple weeks but in about 10 days my temporary registration runs out and I still haven't gotten my new registration yet. Anybody else have this problem and have any solutions?
This situation happened to me. I'm in New Mexico and the nearest Service Center is 2.5 hours away. I called and called and called and called until I finally got through to a human who could help me. That was a few years ago and IIUC getting a human on the phone now is even harder.

Have you tried making a service request in the app? This may sound weird but Tesla is trying to use that as the primary method to get in touch with them. The response isn't instant but a human should see it and get back to you (after the automated response).

When my wipers turn on in dry weather I take it as a signal that it's time to clean my car, or at least my windshield.

welcome
Get to know your service center top manager. Then you can email them about your concerns I.e registration.
the main code version is currently 2023.32.7
my wipers in rain are 95% perfect, 5% for maybe not slow enough in certain conditions
they never run when not raining
sometimes they don’t turn off fast enough once it transitions from raining to no rain

we have 2x Teslas and planning on three more
we love the Tesla ecosystem which you will appreciate over time
It’s not about the vehicles but about the total Tesla ecosystem we experience
I am now expanding into Tesla solar
the integrations of apps (on phone and in vehicle), vehicles, wall connectors, power walls and solar are amazing
No other company can compare
enjoy
Hey there
I just looked and my main code is 2023.27.6
I'm not sure how I request or push an update. The only update I've gotten so far, I was was notified by the car :) and I had to find a wifi that would reach. Where I park at my house is out of wifi range. Wondering if I need to find wifi and manually check for update?
Also, how do you get to know your local to manager? Although everyone was friendly when I picked the car up initially, there was not obvious easy access to service dept.
Thanks for the reply

Welcome!

This situation happened to me. I'm in New Mexico and the nearest Service Center is 2.5 hours away. I called and called and called and called until I finally got through to a human who could help me. That was a few years ago and IIUC getting a human on the phone now is even harder.

Have you tried making a service request in the app? This may sound weird but Tesla is trying to use that as the primary method to get in touch with them. The response isn't instant but a human should see it and get back to you (after the automated response).

When my wipers turn on in dry weather I take it as a signal that it's time to clean my car, or at least my windshield.
Hi BitJam
Thanks for the reply. I also am not close to my nearest Tesla center, maybe 35 minutes -not so far as you! But not convenient to drop by with small questions.
And interestingly enough, I did try a service request with some other small concerns (texting app does not respond to "press to reply" function except randomly, which makes it distracting for driving and therefore not functional when driving, also my three months of free full self driving capability have been less than stellar. Because of the change in camera abilities (I believe it was infrared cameras are disabled and they are currently switching to full visual) some features are disabled, such as "Summon", which I have to admit I was very interested to try. Also, simple things like changing from two lanes to three (passing lane approaching a larger highway interchange) the car got confused and swerved a few times before righting itself, which was unnerving. Still learning to trust the auto driving system. We have more country roads where I live but I still only use the SD system when there are lines in the road, however it does not feel reliable yet even with the supposed FSD in effect. Not sure if I should make a separate post about that as I'm feeling slightly gyped that I am not actually getting a FSD experience while Tesla upgrades their camera system, possibly over my whole trial period but definitely over some of it.
I still love my Tesla. Feel like it's a perfect opportunity to blend the best of human abilities with machine capabilities😀

Hi BitJam
Thanks for the reply. I also am not close to my nearest Tesla center, maybe 35 minutes -not so far as you! But not convenient to drop by with small questions.
And interestingly enough, I did try a service request with some other small concerns (texting app does not respond to "press to reply" function except randomly, which makes it distracting for driving and therefore not functional when driving, also my three months of free full self driving capability have been less than stellar. Because of the change in camera abilities (I believe it was infrared cameras are disabled and they are currently switching to full visual) some features are disabled, such as "Summon", which I have to admit I was very interested to try. Also, simple things like changing from two lanes to three (passing lane approaching a larger highway interchange) the car got confused and swerved a few times before righting itself, which was unnerving. Still learning to trust the auto driving system. We have more country roads where I live but I still only use the SD system when there are lines in the road, however it does not feel reliable yet even with the supposed FSD in effect. Not sure if I should make a separate post about that as I'm feeling slightly gyped that I am not actually getting a FSD experience while Tesla upgrades their camera system, possibly over my whole trial period but definitely over some of it.
I still love my Tesla. Feel like it's a perfect opportunity to blend the best of human abilities with machine capabilities😀
Forgot to add-when they responded after a few days to my service request, they said I would be obligated to pay for my visit to the service center with my concerns, which I felt was unfair given the car is two weeks old and the instruction given when I picked the car up was pretty non existent. Although I have to say best be car buying experience I've had because of ease of ordering and lack of hard sell-thank you Tesla. The hell that other car dealerships (our local Hyundai tbs) put people through- insisting on things like upselling needless add-ons like upholstery insurance or ding and debt insurance that was actually useless when I needed it-made that purchase a four hour fight to just walk out with the new car I had paid for. Spoken from hard experience- my last car was a Hyundai and I will not buy them again because of dealership experience. I do miss my top down camera though, wish Tesla would integrate that. Also that car had a back up alarm which I found helpful in NJ parking lots lol

Reactions: KerryOH
Welcome ionsphere: For service, Tesla policy is always to itemize the work requested, with the expected charge posted (NOT paying in advance), which is then reduced to $0 if the repair/service was covered under warranty.

Your FSD experience isn't unusual, based on hundreds of posts in the forum. You might want to grab a bucket of popcorn and read the dozens of threads about the eccentricities of FSD.

Also, it might help if you post your region in your signature. Members in this forum that live in your region might be helpful about specific roads with FSD issues.

Reactions: BitJam
Hey there
I just looked and my main code is 2023.27.6
I'm not sure how I request or push an update. The only update I've gotten so far, I was was notified by the car :) and I had to find a wifi that would reach. Where I park at my house is out of wifi range. Wondering if I need to find wifi and manually check for update?
Also, how do you get to know your local to manager? Although everyone was friendly when I picked the car up initially, there was not obvious easy access to service dept.
Thanks for the reply
You are on the fsd pre beta branch of code which has the most advanced public avail fsd but lacks the main code updates of features like auto wipers
example 32 branch has been updated with much better auto wiper operation

See “not a Tesla app” site for knowledge of branches and code
btw, you are on the latest code for your branch 27.6

Welcome ionsphere: For service, Tesla policy is always to itemize the work requested, with the expected charge posted (NOT paying in advance), which is then reduced to $0 if the repair/service was covered under warranty.

Your FSD experience isn't unusual, based on hundreds of posts in the forum. You might want to grab a bucket of popcorn and read the dozens of threads about the eccentricities of FSD.

Also, it might help if you post your region in your signature. Members in this forum that live in your region might be helpful about specific roads with FSD issues.
I will post my general location if that will help. Northeast US, new jersey, once I figure out how to edit everything. Also I realize they weren't going to charge me in advance but I do not like going into something not being sure of what I'm going to owe at the end of it just felt for a brand new car they could be helping me out a little bit more with whether or not it's user error (which I realize is possible of course) or an actual software issue. I guess I'm old-fashioned thinking that when you buy a car from a company that they'll baby you a little bit in the beginning.

• Funny
Reactions: Hellpops
You are on the fsd pre beta branch of code which has the most advanced public avail fsd but lacks the main code updates of features like auto wipers
example 32 branch has been updated with much better auto wiper operation

See “not a Tesla app” site for knowledge of branches and code
btw, you are on the latest code for your branch 27.6
Okay thanks kpanda17. You are clearly very advanced in your technical knowledge and I'm going to have to find somebody locally who can translate your post for me lol.
I found the website you're talking about and I see the 2023.32.7 update, but I'm not clear whether I am supposed to somehow push this update to my car or wait for the car to tell me that it wants this update...?
I appreciate all the perspectives being offered, doing my best to keep up.

Last edited:
Okay thanks kpanda17. You are clearly very advanced in your technical knowledge and I'm going to have to find somebody locally who can translate your post for me lol. I'm really being helped by a lot of the great suggestions in this forum. Thanks everyone!

I will post my general location if that will help. Northeast US, new jersey, once I figure out how to edit everything. Also I realize they weren't going to charge me in advance but I do not like going into something not being sure of what I'm going to owe at the end of it just felt for a brand new car they could be helping me out a little bit more with whether or not it's user error (which I realize is possible of course) or an actual software issue. I guess I'm old-fashioned thinking that when you buy a car from a company that they'll baby you a little bit in the beginning.
Darn I cannot remember how I got to the place where I can edit my profile... Will find it sooner or later

first, Tesla pushes the code and updates to us, we cannot pull
there is main code running the vehicle, battery management system (BMS), other systems and then there is embedded fsd, full self driving, code

google the internet on tesla code, branches, fsd, also youtubes to fully learn

fairly easy to understand, in short, main code branch currently is 2023.32.X and the FSD code imbedded is 11.4.4.X, my two Ts are running this code branch
your vehicle is running 2023.26.7 with fsd 11.4.7.X
32 is considered the main code version, like generally accept codes in the tech space, AWS, Microsoft, Juniper, etc
since main code for the public, it has the newest main code features such as latest spotify, wipers, etc functions, but lags in the fsd imbedded code, considered lagging fsd
26 is considered the lagging code for main features but advanced for fsd, great for fsd but not so great for main features, you typically have to wait

summary:
32 code has current main features, lags FSD, considered FSDb beta
26 code lags main features, but advanced FSD, considered FSDb pre beta
of course Tesla internally, employees, labs and Elon have access to very advanced and risky, newer main code and FSD
we don't know the version number of the main code they are testing, but we do know they are using the embedded FSD code v12
(Elon did a live stream on X of driving with FSD using v12 code)
we hope to all get access to the total rewrite of FSD in v12, rumored to be pushed to us in December
to keep it simpler, maybe the pre beta people will get fsd 12.1. X and the fsd beta people will get 12.0.X

we will know by Jan were we are

btw, fun fact Elon usually announces Nov/Dec the holiday release of code to get new features, cross the fingers for v12 fsd pushed to us

first, Tesla pushes the code and updates to us, we cannot pull
there is main code running the vehicle, battery management system (BMS), other systems and then there is embedded fsd, full self driving, code

google the internet on tesla code, branches, fsd, also youtubes to fully learn

fairly easy to understand, in short, main code branch currently is 2023.32.X and the FSD code imbedded is 11.4.4.X, my two Ts are running this code branch
your vehicle is running 2023.26.7 with fsd 11.4.7.X
32 is considered the main code version, like generally accept codes in the tech space, AWS, Microsoft, Juniper, etc
since main code for the public, it has the newest main code features such as latest spotify, wipers, etc functions, but lags in the fsd imbedded code, considered lagging fsd
26 is considered the lagging code for main features but advanced for fsd, great for fsd but not so great for main features, you typically have to wait

summary:
32 code has current main features, lags FSD, considered FSDb beta
26 code lags main features, but advanced FSD, considered FSDb pre beta
of course Tesla internally, employees, labs and Elon have access to very advanced and risky, newer main code and FSD
we don't know the version number of the main code they are testing, but we do know they are using the embedded FSD code v12
(Elon did a live stream on X of driving with FSD using v12 code)
we hope to all get access to the total rewrite of FSD in v12, rumored to be pushed to us in December
to keep it simpler, maybe the pre beta people will get fsd 12.1. X and the fsd beta people will get 12.0.X

we will know by Jan were we are

btw, fun fact Elon usually announces Nov/Dec the holiday release of code to get new features, cross the fingers for v12 fsd pushed to us
Very interesting! Fingers crossed. Happy anticipation for holiday release

Don't worry about the registration until the day it's going to run out. You'll likley let get the plates on one of the last 2 days.

Then if not, just go get another temp if you need it.

Probably don't need to go through Tesla, just straight to your local registration place. I mean, you could try Tesla if it's close to you, but don't drive a long way just for that.

Reactions: ionsphere