Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Just purchased 2023 Model Y. Some questions

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Don't worry about the registration until the day it's going to run out. You'll likley let get the plates on one of the last 2 days.

Then if not, just go get another temp if you need it.

Probably don't need to go through Tesla, just straight to your local registration place. I mean, you could try Tesla if it's close to you, but don't drive a long way just for that.
Thanks Oxbrew. I hadn't thought of just getting another temporary. I actually transferred plates from my old car and originally when I came home that day I just put my old plates on the Tesla. But then I realized that my registration card still reads the previous car and that I have to wait till I get my actual registration that has the new Tesla MY tied to those plates. So we switched out the plates for the temp tag again. Hopefully there's not any issue with the transfer, because it seems like it should be fairly straightforward. I'll wait till the end of the temp period though and hopefully will get it in time. 👍

There are no infrared cameras on any Tesla, never have been.
Okay know it all, I used the phrase "I believe" because I was new to the system and wasn't sure I had the exact correct phrase, so upon taking the time to do the research that you clearly already knew, it is radar that was removed... but really you knew what I meant, didn't you? The point was I'm not getting a chance to try out some of the cooler features. That's all. I never understand the people on this forum that feel the need to act superior or not just be kind and courteous to each other.

I will post my general location if that will help. Northeast US, new jersey, once I figure out how to edit everything. Also I realize they weren't going to charge me in advance but I do not like going into something not being sure of what I'm going to owe at the end of it just felt for a brand new car they could be helping me out a little bit more with whether or not it's user error (which I realize is possible of course) or an actual software issue. I guess I'm old-fashioned thinking that when you buy a car from a company that they'll baby you a little bit in the beginning.
There is a Facebook NJ Tesla Car Club that is quite active. You may want to consider joining and reading the many posts there.

Okay know it all, I used the phrase "I believe" because I was new to the system and wasn't sure I had the exact correct phrase, so upon taking the time to do the research that you clearly already knew, it is radar that was removed... but really you knew what I meant, didn't you? The point was I'm not getting a chance to try out some of the cooler features. That's all. I never understand the people on this forum that feel the need to act superior or not just be kind and courteous to each other.
No need to get hostile man. Sorry, if it seemed like I was being a know it all. I don't know it all but I know a lot, as I'm on my second Tesla. But, I never understand the people on this forum that feel the need to ask questions (that have been asked a million times already), instead of using the search function first. But I get it, sometimes a person doesn't have the time to read over a bunch of threads. And again, sorry I offended you in some way.

Reactions: Pianewman
You may be able to access the group without joining facebook if you search for it? If you can you just wouldn't be able to post question

You may be able to access the group without joining facebook if you search for it? If you can you just wouldn't be able to post questions.
I appreciate your help but just find it healthier to stay off social media in general. This forum is the closest I've gotten to it in a long time. Hopefully this can be a place where I get help to understand my new vehicle, and I then help others with whatever I've learned. There is a big learning curve with Tesla but it's getting more understandable now. Ideally we can all help each other in the few moments it takes to post a hint or suggestion, and I'm happy to do the same when I understand more. Thanks for your suggestions. Anyone who doesn't want to take the time to help out can just move on to the next post. I appreciate your helpful attitude towards my question. Still waiting on Tesla to update the newer MYs

Reactions: Dracaris and BitJam
I'm starting to realize it's been a lot longer that new MYs have had these features "temporarily" disabled. I tried searching for this topic and found threads from 2022 about the same issue I'm posting about-new MYs that even in FSD did not have the capability to do four or five things like auto park and smart summon, etc. I'm still learning so if I get a phrase wrong or you think I'm naive that's okay, but appreciate anybody that would actually help me learn something here. Has it really been almost a year that these features have been temporarily disabled?

No need to get hostile man. Sorry, if it seemed like I was being a know it all. I don't know it all but I know a lot, as I'm on my second Tesla. But, I never understand the people on this forum that feel the need to ask questions (that have been asked a million times already), instead of using the search function first. But I get it, sometimes a person doesn't have the time to read over a bunch of threads. And again, sorry I offended you in some way.
Hey, no worries. I said I'm a newbie earlier so questions that seem elementary to you are not to me. It's hard enough to ask a question in the first place, and nobody likes feeling stupid, so would just really appreciate that if you know more than me, to just help me out in the same amount of time it takes to type your other answer. Believe me, I have tried looking through the forum and will continue to, but either I'm putting in the wrong search phrases or nobody's actually answered the question yet(probably the first one, I know). Just saying it's not easy figuring this stuff out if you're not a true tech.

Reactions: Resist
Removing the ultra sonic sensors was one the worst mistakes Tesla has done. Current vehicles will never have the accuracy unless they get a retrofitted front lower camera, which no doubt Tesla won't do. Driving into my 2023 Model Y the vision only sensors said to stop and I was at least 5 feet from anything in front of the car, they're terrible, no amount of software tweaking can fix what the the cameras can't see.

Reactions: ionsphere
Removing the ultra sonic sensors was one the worst mistakes Tesla has done. Current vehicles will never have the accuracy unless they get a retrofitted front lower camera, which no doubt Tesla won't do. Driving into my 2023 Model Y the vision only sensors said to stop and I was at least 5 feet from anything in front of the car, they're terrible, no amount of software tweaking can fix what the the cameras can't see.
Don't hold it in, just tell us how you really feel....

Reactions: ionsphere
The cabin camera is infrared.

looks-like-my-uses-the-infrared-camera-to-show-inside-cabin-v0-bo29wtlre87a1.jpg

No it's not. It's just a black and white night vision shot, like many home security cameras have for more clarity, but that isn't infrared.
Okay, a little homework for you. Do a little research then come back and tell us what type of light the cabin camera uses to provide night vision. Those home security cameras you're talking about? Those are infrared too.

Actually MOST regular semiconductor cameras have some sensitivity in the near infrared, though the lens materials may filter some of this. This of course doesnt make then thermal imaging cameras, but it does mean they can "see" light which our eyes cannot. There are various hacks out there to turn most phone cameras into primitive infrared cameras.