Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Sensitivity of “auto” wipers

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Sounds like Tesla's dream of dumping every sensor (USS, radar, IR, etc.) other than cameras is the cause of almost every one of their issues. Elon saving those pennies again.
The problem with Tesla auto high beams has nothing to do with the use of cameras. All advanced auto high beam systems use cameras to detect both the headlights of oncoming cars and the taillights of cars that are directly ahead in the same lane. The problem with the Tesla implementation is that the logic is flawed.

Auto wipers probably could be made to work with the front facing camera, but again the existing Tesla algorithm is not capable of doing so over a wide variety of lighting and precipitation conditions..

I'm beginning to wonder if auto high beams and auto wipers may be flawed because they are being given too low real time priority by the car's ECU. Or maybe the code is purposely simplistic and designed not to eat up ECU cycles.

I think for me they work well about 85% of the time. The times that they don't work is when there is actually no rain present and they are just simply on. I can turn it off but in order for me to use Autopilot, the automatic windshield wipers need to be on. I have to choose between no wipers or no autopilot when that occurs, quite annoying.
THIS!

I can accept the flawed 'auto' setting on wipers... I use manual modes or press button on signal stalk when I need.
But, making 'auto' wiper setting mandatory for using basic Cruise Control and therefore breaking both is unforgivable!!
We're not even talking the much hyped Autopilot... just simple cruise control.

THIS!

I can accept the flawed 'auto' setting on wipers... I use manual modes or press button on signal stalk when I need.
But, making 'auto' wiper setting mandatory for using basic Cruise Control and therefore breaking both is unforgivable!!
We're not even talking the much hyped Autopilot... just simple cruise control.
I agree, I am pretty much done with it. They are one for my entire hour journey each way to work and back, almost without fail.

I was about to order a new Model Y as my lease is coming to and end in March, but I am honestly going to just let them take the car back and choose something else. It's pathetic they can't make this work.

Just adding to this thread here.... I have a very similar issue with the auto wipers when there's a light drizzle. Otherwise they are ok-ish during the day. But the biggest issue (and most dangerous imo) is that at night when there's very limited public lighting the auto wipers work very, very badly. I need to click the button on the left stalk so i can see where I'm going or switch to level 2-3 so the wipers work in manual mode. Really disappointing for such a simple thing other manufacturers fixed a long time ago.
My wipers don’t usually work on auto. It’s full speed or off when I’m driving in the rain so irritating. Then they work fine for about 10 minutes and back to full speed on all setting. I took into service and they told me the wipers are in Beta. Crazy. The car has been out over 10 years and can’t figure it out.

The wipers are a classic case of the dysfunction resulting from NIH* syndrome. Beta indeed! Not using conventional solutions is one of Tesla's huge advantages, giving us a revolutionary vehicle. Not looking at those non-conventional solutions and critically evaluating whether they are actually improvements represents the triumph of ego and hubris over function.

*Not Invented Here

Reactions: Sir Surfalot
BMW and other car companies are using an IR sensor to detect rain on the windshield. Tesla is unique, they use the camera to detect rain in the windshield.
The problem, the camera sensor is immediately next to the windshield. It cannot focus on the rain drop. A bug hitting just in front of the lens will trigger the auto wiper.
Was looking through the thread for this answer, this is THE answer to why Tesla seems to be doing a lot worse.

On the 3 cars i owned prior to the tesla (Which i have not taken delivery of yet to be fair) the rain sensing function worked reasonably well, and all of those 3 had a dedicated sensor for the rain detection. If the Tesla uses the front camera(s) this is a major difference, and i would imagine that the reason they have not made the function any better is, that it is not possible to make it any better, with the camera only option they have chosen.

Some might even claim that there is an actual reason someone made a dedicated sensor, that senses rain, using a different method.

The first car i had with rain sensor was a car introduced in 2005, so almost 20 years ago, and that car had an excellent rain sensor, that actually worked 95% of the time.

Here's our solution to auto wipers on auto pilot. You can't change out of auto using the touchscreen. But you can change using voice. So I can say "wipers off" or "slow down wipers" and the car will comply while on autopilot.
Thanks for the tip will try this today. I’ve been pushing Tesla to fix my awful auto wipers that are always on, can’t even use cruise control anymore. Tesla tried telling me wipers were on beta but that’s no excuse to sell a defective product.

Thanks for the tip will try this today. I’ve been pushing Tesla to fix my awful auto wipers that are always on, can’t even use cruise control anymore. Tesla tried telling me wipers were on beta but that’s no excuse to sell a defective product.
Save your breath...or key strokes...Tesla still hasn't figured out the wiper situation.

Reactions: 804son
I got my second Model S a year ago. The first one had very good auto wipers that I rarely had to think about. This new one though is terrible. I have driven in driving rain storms and the auto wipers do not respond at all, and then clear days they randomly turn on for no apparent reason. It does seem that the switch to solely relying on the camera for everything correlates with the loss of accuracy of the wiper sensor.