Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Sensitivity of “auto” wipers

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Here is my theory why the Tesla auto wipers (relying on the camera vision) have some issues and will never be as good as cars with a dedicated IR rain sensor.
The 2 camera lens are set less than 1" behind the front windshield, they are seeing a very small section of the windshield and are focused for long distance (not the nearby windshield). One drop of rain in front of the camera lens has lot more impact than one drop of rain with a driver behind the wheel.

Here is my theory why the Tesla auto wipers (relying on the camera vision) have some issues and will never be as good as cars with a dedicated IR rain sensor.
The 2 camera lens are set less than 1" behind the front windshield, they are seeing a very small section of the windshield and are focused for long distance (not the nearby windshield). One drop of rain in front of the camera lens has lot more impact than one drop of rain with a driver behind the wheel.
I don’t think it’s just the rain or snow on a narrow field of view.

I've noticed that my wipers are usually on unnecessarily during the twilight hours where the sky is changing. If it’s fuly daytime or fully nightime, it’s fine and won’t turn on unnecessarily when I’m using cruise control. But during twilight, it pretty much always turns on when I’m using CC, no matter how dry it is outside.